Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

I agree. Would be curious to hear you dwell on this

The reason I think this is because there's like a theoretical "ideal" for every state that the government is not always in control of and has to follow, and its wars have to be premised on this ideal. Everyone is subconsciously aware of the limits of what their government should be doing abroad. I think this along with the official rhetoric is the standard we should judge whether a war is Imperialist. I'm not saying we should just uncritically accept state propaganda, but what governments say publicly is usually a kind of internal consensus that they are very unlikely to overstep.

For instance the British invasion of Bengal in 1799 or whenever wasn't premised on imperial expansion at the time and I don't think it can be described as imperialist by that point. It wasn't until the 1830s or thereabouts when the pragmatism of trade protectionism evolved into a fully-fledged ideology of conquest, dividing the entire world into Civilized and Barbarian, where there is no limit to the use of force against other states. While there is a tiny bit of that in some Russian media, it's inconceivable that they could make the jump to imperialism at this stage.

Stated goals do not matter as they can shift within a blink of an eye and everyone will pretend the previous version was just mind games to con the west.
But actually, preventing NATO expansion was never a stated goal of this war. First it was "denazification and demilitarization" of Ukraine. Then it was "helping the people of Donbas". Then it was ****ing whatever, including preventing Russian moms and dads from turning into parent #1 and parent #2. I don't think the limits you're talking about are a reality in Russian internal discourse.

I still think all of those goals fall within a broad existing framework of "pushing away western influence". As schizophrenic as they seem, Putin or the Russian press couldn't get away with explicitly declaring that the war was about expanding the Russian state. Compare this to the USSR whose geopolitical ideology was based purely on toppling capitalist or feudal governments and expanding the Soviet system. It makes little material difference as a civilian on the ground of course, but it drastically changes how states behave to one another.

Even the US, at the height of its unipolar hegemony in the 1990s, had to use cringey liberal language and the goal of spreading liberal democracy to justify its wars. This seems to be less about public opinion and more about different elements in the deep state (or in Putin's case, just the state) trying to convince each other to go to war, because even for a massively unpopular war like Iraq where the propaganda failed to convince citizens in Europe and the UK, they didn't give a crap and went in anyway.

Yes, it was built with the intention of clashing with NATO and countering their military doctrine. But wouldn't you say this looks suspiciously more like an invading army rather than a defending one? If not, please explain why.

Well yeah, but any "defensive" army can be used to invade. I don't think they altered their doctrine just for this war, as evidenced by how much of a disaster it's been.

Yes, it was built with the intention of clashing with NATO and countering their military doctrine. But wouldn't you say this looks suspiciously more like an invading army rather than a defending one? If not, please explain why.
It looks awfully bad as invading force as we can see, why do you think it was meant for invasion? It's stated goal is to fight during nuclear engagement, even tanks are designed to do it.

It looks awfully bad as invading force as we can see, why do you think it was meant for invasion? It's stated goal is to fight during nuclear engagement, even tanks are designed to do it.
NATO Cold War doctrine recognised Soviet tank superiority and expected to counter any invasion of Europe with tactical nukes to buy time for US mobilisation. That was no secret, so, Soviet era tanks/doctrine prepared for a tactical nuclear engagement.
Blitzkrieg was the main lesson of WWII. The USSR built its plans around tank supremacy. Russia seems to have inherited that legacy, which failed against modern Manpads ATGW and drone registered artillery/rocket strikes. Everything moves on, it’s unwise to rely solely on what worked previously.

Last edited:
British RUSI military think tank report, on early stages of the war, examines Russian plans from captured documents and assesses lessons learned.

Interesting quote from the full pdf:

“FSB was tasked with capturing local officials. The Russian counterintelligence regime on the occupied territories had compiled lists that divided Ukrainians into four categories:

• Those to be physically liquidated.

• Those in need of suppression and intimidation.

• Those considered neutral who could be induced to collaborate.

• Those prepared to collaborate.

For those in the top category, the FSB had conducted wargames with detachments of the Russian Airborne Forces (VDV) to conduct kill-or-capture missions. In many cases, the purpose of capture was to put individuals involved in the 2014 Revolution of Dignity (often referred to as the Maidan Revolution) on trial to be executed. Although initial lists of persons in the second category existed, the approach was to be more methodical, with the registration of the population through door-to-door sweeps and the use of filtration camps to establish counterintelligence files on large portions of the population in the occupied territories. Filtration would be used to intimidate people, to determine whether they needed to be displaced into Russia, and to lay the groundwork for records to monitor and disrupt resistance networks. Over time, Russia would bring teachers and other officials from Russia itself to engage in the re-education of Ukrainians.

The intended method of political control had both a regional and national component. The regional component comprised the coerced cooperation of regional governors and local authorities. The national component involved the murder of Ukraine’s executive branch and the capture of parliament. The pro-Russian faction within the parliament would be encouraged to form a Movement for Peace, which other parliamentarians would be encouraged and coerced to support. This Movement for Peace would ban resistance in the name of preserving peace. Regions that resisted could thereafter be cut off from electricity, water and finance from the central bank, following motions through this parliamentary body. Ukraine’s nuclear power plants served three purposes therefore in the invasion plan: to function as reliable shelters for Russia’s troops and military personnel, equipment, command posts and ammunition depots; to gain control over Ukraine’s energy system, because nuclear power plants are responsible for generating more than 60% of Ukraine’s electricity; and to provide the option to obtain leverage for blackmailing European countries with the risk of radiation pollution as a result of possible accidents at nuclear power plants if they attempted to intervene.”

Also:

“An important element of the Russian plan to disorganise Ukraine’s military C2 system was also to neutralise the top military leadership of the UAF. Thus, in the first days of the invasion, a large number of Ukrainian generals received personal messages from Russian military leaders urging them to surrender and assuring them that Russia did not intend to do any harm to Ukraine. Messages of similar content, but sent from anonymous numbers, were received by almost all colonels and other senior officers of the UAF. The strategic importance of this campaign is evidenced by the fact that on the second day of the invasion, Putin publicly appealed to the Ukrainian military to not resist the Russian invasion. This failed campaign also highlights the poor assessment of the psychology of the Ukrainian military by the Russian special services.”

Last edited:
If a nation annexes a part of a country and holds onto it, it is going to view that bit of land as more important then the strategic city that they took during a following war. Order of precedence does make it "more Russian". Along with the fact their entire line about oppressed Russians will be really strong in Crimea given the large Russia population there, and oddly fewer Crimean Tartars.

Except they're not. Crimea is too important, its too, well, "Russian". Crimea has been Russian, while every other bit of taken territory started as Ukrainian this war. Russia isn't just going to let Ukraine take Crimea back, it is simply too important.
You are confusing rhetoric with reality. There is a lot of talk about how this and that territory is actually Russian. Dude, I'm pretty Russian myself, and so is my city. I know Ukrainian but I don't use it in my day-to-day life. Only when I'm dealing with the state (official documents, etc.) or sometimes when talking to people from western Ukraine, to not get rusty. This doesn't mean Russian state owns me or my city. This is all bollocks for gullible people who think that if someone speaks Spanish as the first language, he probably wants Spain to conquer his town.
No, Russian-speaking people here know what's up. And trust me, Crimea is a bargaining chip just like Kherson was, like Kharkov and Donbas and what have you. Crimea is the most precious chip for purely geopolitical reasons and not because it is "more Russian" than others. Kharkov is more Russian than Crimea but it drove a steel fist right into Putin's ass and he backed down from there without a single word, really proud of my guys from Kharkov.
Also, you can't be cornered as long as you can withdraw, make a deal at any moment and call it a victory. So no, I don't share your analysis at all.
No. The harder they lose the more likely they are to want to escalate. The harder they lose the more they'll think that their state is actually at risk. Putin is very much a cornered Rat at this point.
I am surprised that 9 months into the war people still cling to these talking points after they were proven wrong again and again by the actual events.
I still think all of those goals fall within a broad existing framework of "pushing away western influence". As schizophrenic as they seem, Putin or the Russian press couldn't get away with explicitly declaring that the war was about expanding the Russian state. Compare this to the USSR whose geopolitical ideology was based purely on toppling capitalist or feudal governments and expanding the Soviet system.
I agree yet I maintain my understanding that no "ideological limit" exists there for Russia.
Russia is not a totalitarian state where there is an overarching idea that drives the people and the elites. Nor a democracy, where citizens/NGOs are politically active and push/check the political agenda of the elites. It's an authoritarian state where the society was actively politically de-mobilized for decades and where the elites create a sort of faux ideology, manipulate it to match the current agenda and actual events, and can basically turn it upside down if needs be.
I remember during Putin's first tenure he seriously intended for Russia to join NATO. But was spurned. He was okay with gay people, liberal values. And so were the Russian people. During his third tenure, he made some very hostile claims and actions toward the West. And again had popular support, and suddenly the people became homophobic, traditionalist, xenophobic and revanchist, etc, etc. In 10 years NATO could be Russia's best friend and the transition could be just as seamless if that's expedient for Russian elites.

Also, you can't ignore multiple Putin's statements where he says something along the lines of "we're just taking what is ours, Like Peter I when he fought the Swedes". They can and will absolutely get away with "expanding" or as they'll put it in revanchist manner "restoring" Russian state line if they can make it real.
Well yeah, but any "defensive" army can be used to invade. I don't think they altered their doctrine just for this war, as evidenced by how much of a disaster it's been.
I think it was meant for invasions looking at how it was reformed during Serdyukov (Georgia invasion, and pre- first invasion in Ukraine). It became a blitz-krieg force. Very small (compared to what it used to be), heavily mechanized, very mobile. A disproportionally large part of it is VDV (paratroopers, not a defensive unit). And so on.
It's been a disaster not because it was a defensive army but because it was a blitz-krieg oriented offensive army. Kyiv was very close to being taken, if it fell, the war would be over. We got lucky back then, and when they withdrew from Kyiv we both knew they can no longer win.

Last edited:
Re Crimea, isn't the main relevance there that it offers Russia a warm sea port? Idk if that's actually that important to Russia these days, considering that Turkey's repeated refusals to allow Russian ships access is really pointing out just how ineffective that sea route is.

Medicotopics? Some obscure Indian clickbait site with good SEO. Saharareporters? Africans quoting Daily Mail.
Stick with the reliable outlets, you don't get extra points for tabloid reports.

I see no strong motivation for Russia to assassinate. It's not like Lukashenka has much room for maneuvering - he can't attack Ukraine and he can't deny Russian military access, regardless of his foreign minister's leanings. He also has no obvious deal to make with the West as he has nothing to offer.
The main thing that is suspicious is the unexplained cause of death. This could be something embarrassing they don't want to divulge, it's not necessary hiding a Russian assassination. Maybe he died of heart attack while enjoying a threesome or suffocated while being passed out from heavy drinking.
If I ever stop posting on this forum without a goodbye, assume one of those have ended me. Thanks!

The USSR built its plans around tank supremacy. Russia seems to have inherited that legacy, which failed against modern Manpads and drone registered artillery/rocket strikes.
Side bar, this irks me because MANPADS is an acronym/abbreviation which stands for man-portable air-defense system. This refers to things like US Stinger and British Starstreak missile launchers. While these have been effective in Ukraine, the real stars of the show for infantry weapons have been Javelin and NLAW anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs).

Medicotopics? Some obscure Indian clickbait site with good SEO. Saharareporters? Africans quoting Daily Mail.
Stick with the reliable outlets, you don't get extra points for tabloid reports.

I see no strong motivation for Russia to assassinate. It's not like Lukashenka has much room for maneuvering - he can't attack Ukraine and he can't deny Russian military access, regardless of his foreign minister's leanings. He also has no obvious deal to make with the West as he has nothing to offer.
The main thing that is suspicious is the unexplained cause of death. This could be something embarrassing they don't want to divulge, it's not necessary hiding a Russian assassination. Maybe he died of heart attack while enjoying a threesome or suffocated while being passed out from heavy drinking.
If I ever stop posting on this forum without a goodbye, assume one of those have ended me. Thanks!
Russian game in Belarus is very intense even regardless of the war. Belarus army may not be so strong as to make a huge difference on the battlefield but that's not the goal here. Putin is restoring an empire and Belarus is an important part of this process. They are going for creeping integration there. But in peace times Lukashenko was able to lead an extremely crafty game of nodding to every Putin's initiative while quietly sabotaging the actual process of RB's losing sovereignty.

Lukashenko has a lot to offer the West. Mostly, not letting Belarus de facto become a part of RF. Makei was that guy in his entourage who was well-connected with both Russian and Western elites and helped him maneuver.

Since the start of the war, Lukashenko was under immense pressure and he seemingly agreed to everything except for sending troops and actually ceding sovereignty. Now it's changing. After Makei's death, the pressure intensified. A few days ago he had a meeting with Shoigu and Russian generals. RF and RB already officially constitute a "Union State" but so far Lukashenko managed to retain de facto sovereignty. Russian are pressing for more decisive formal steps on his part, their goal is to create a single army under RF's command. Once that happens, it's a huge step toward RB's loss of sovereignty. It is possible that it already happened btw, as we don't know what papers were signed in that meeting.

Side bar, this irks me because MANPADS is an acronym/abbreviation which stands for man-portable air-defense system. This refers to things like US Stinger and British Starstreak missile launchers. While these have been effective in Ukraine, the real stars of the show for infantry weapons have been Javelin and NLAW anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs).
Ok wrong abbreviation (now edited). BTW the balance of anti-tank weapons, which blunted the initial Russian attack, was more home grown than our press tells us:
“The heavy emphasis in international commentary on anti-tank guided weapons (ATGWs) and especially those provided through military-technical assistance, means that it is vital to appreciate the volume of these capabilities and how they were distributed across the UAF to properly contextualise their impact on the fighting. At the beginning of February 2022, the armed forces received about 150 Javelin ATGW launchers with 1,000–1,200 missiles, 2,000 NLAW, as well as a large number of rocket-propelled anti-tank grenade launchers. Since Ukraine’s partners at that time were persuaded that, in the most optimistic scenarios, hostilities would be centred on street battles in the largest cities, the anti-tank weapons transferred were intended for close combat.
Ukrainian anti-tank capabilities were not limited to Western-provided ATGWs, however. After 2014, the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine purchased at least 650 launchers for anti-tank missile systems ‘Stugna-P’ and ‘Korsar’ and about 7,000 missiles for them, 150 tower systems for armoured vehicles with dual anti-tank missiles and 900 missiles for them, and 1,600 guided missiles ‘Cobra’ and ‘Kombat’ for tank missile systems. Thus, the anti-tank capabilities of the UAF at the beginning of February 2022 amounted to around 950 ATGW launchers (Javelin, ‘Stugna-P’, ‘Corsar’, ‘Barrier’) and about 9,100 missiles. To this should be added short-ranged systems such as NLAW, Kobra/Kombat missiles, as well as more than a thousand Fagot and Metis ATGWs and several thousand missiles for them.”
I see no strong motivation for Russia to assassinate. It's not like Lukashenka has much room for maneuvering

Last edited:
Yeah, "GRU HQ sources" say my butt is made of gold, yet it isn't. And they didn't kill Big L and seized control of the army, but allegedly killed his foreign minister to scare Big L into handing over his army? It doesn't really compute and it's not the same thing at all.

Yeah, "GRU HQ sources" say my butt is made of gold, yet it isn't. And they didn't kill Big L and seized control of the army, but allegedly killed his foreign minister to scare Big L into handing over his army? It doesn't really compute and it's not the same thing at all.
Maybe, but it’s naive to assume Putin plays by any rule-book. His orders for the Ukraine invasion show that as do other denied assassinations. With sanctions, most free Russian cash is running through energy companies. I guess these deaths are all just coincidences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_businessmen_mystery_deaths

Interesting development. "... Ukrainian drones over two military airfields in Russia..."

Range appears to be increasing. The Ukrainians never claim responsibility for strikes into Russia, to avoid upsetting the USA. They’ve been very sporadic, so far, I wonder if they’ll get more frequent.
https://english.nv.ua/nation/airstr...ia-s-rostov-oblast-ukraine-news-50251643.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-ukraine-war-news-chernobyl-belgorod-oil-depot-attack/

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/30842-russia-claims-ukraine-bombed-bryansk-with-bayraktar-drone

https://english.nv.ua/nation/russia...-oryal-oblast-near-ukraine-news-50284470.html

Piorun (Grom successor) is even better at manpads duty.
Stugna is also doing decent at atgms duty.

After the yesterdays rocket attack, more than 24hrs without power, water and heating. I’m adapting. Have water stored for two weeks. Optic cable, car accumulator to turn on internet now and again to not be completely cut off. Food is still in sufficient supply at least.

We've seen that tendency for at least a few months now.
Alliances seem to follow political ideals, so the more conservative, nationalistic you are the more you support Russia.
The fact that Russia is an enemy of the US and the west in general, is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom