Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

worth remembering that basically everyone uses white phosphorus and analogues as an offensive incendiary and either just lie about using it or lie about how they used it. "it's for a smokescreen" or whatever other excuse they feel like. the usa did it in iraq, it was all over syria, the recent azeri-armenian war, pretty much any major conflict in recent memory; you name it, they dropped white phosphorus.

like, obviously terrible, obviously should be documented and condemned, but there's no use pretending it's some transgressive thing or particular to just russia or something. (and to be extra extra clear - that doesn't make it ok if it's dropped. just echoing what weaver and eddie have said.)

there's no use pretending it's some transgressive thing or particular to just russia or something.
I agree that Western countries have used similar incendiaries. However, I still consider their indiscriminate use a war crime, even though it is only technically such vs civilians and the International community has failed to police and prosecute it despite widespread use in many conflicts.
As far as I'm concerned, the same goes for napalm, thermobaric vacuum bombs, gas, chemical and nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
Another mass attack on civilian infrastructure today. All power plants stopped. All our cities to my knowledge are in complete blackout. No water, no internet, no heating either. Went to the mall where they have generators and Wi-Fi. I feel like Russia is situating the west in a tight spot in this manner. They either have to give us long range weapons so that we could fight back or they will have to give up on us to put us out of our misery. No third option, unless watching millions of people die of hunger is an option.

Another mass attack on civilian infrastructure today. All power plants stopped. All our cities to my knowledge are in complete blackout. No water, no internet, no heating either. Went to the mall where they have generators and Wi-Fi. I feel like Russia is situating the west in a tight spot in this manner. They either have to give us long range weapons so that we could fight back or they will have to give up on us to put us out of our misery. No third option, unless watching millions of people die of hunger is an option.
They can also force you to surrender or ceasefire. Perhaps even to overthrow government. Shelling energy infrastructure is war crime, but looks like it's effective at disrupting logistics and break morale, which should be a lesson for other countries that current power grid structures isn't effective in case of war.
On the other hand, i've heard that there are some foreign supplies of backup electricity generators, is that true?

They can also force you to surrender or ceasefire. Perhaps even to overthrow government. Shelling energy infrastructure is war crime, but looks like it's effective at disrupting logistics and break morale, which should be a lesson for other countries that current power grid structures isn't effective in case of war.
On the other hand, i've heard that there are some foreign supplies of backup electricity generators, is that true?
I believe Germany donated about 2400 generators last week. (EDIT: Could not find a reliable source for this, so take it with a bucketload of salt)

Aren't there already long range weapons being sold/donated? Or are they mostly anti-air?

Last edited:

The latest package includes 200 generators, an undisclosed amount of additional rounds for both the advanced NASAMS air defense systems and the HIMARS artillery systems the U.S. has shipped to Ukraine, 150 heavy machine guns with thermal sights to shoot down drones, 10,000 120mm mortar rounds and 20 million rounds of small arms ammunition, among other items, the Pentagon said.

Today I got power and internet back for the first time in three days. On the third day I felt much more adapted to living in darkness and cold without an instant connection with the outer world. Is there anything humans can not adapt to if they steeled their spirit?
Weirdly, this reaffirmed my conviction that sanctions will never stop the war.

On a different note, my company is approaching bankruptcy and the next month I will be let go. I'm considering my options.
This winter will be absolutely terrible. But something tells me there will yet be a worse one.

1. Emigrate and find a job to be ahead of the curve. The Ukrainians arriving here are good at finding jobs and don't need as much help as Middle Eastern refugees, but if there's a mass influx, the capacities will be stretched and the job market is shrinking. I assume it's the same in other countries in the region.
2. Join the armed forces or other defense organization and do something for your country that you'll be able to tell your grandchildren. Have a school named after you or at least a street.

Today I got power and internet back for the first time in three days. On the third day I felt much more adapted to living in darkness and cold without an instant connection with the outer world. Is there anything humans can not adapt to if they steeled their spirit?
Glad you’re reconnected to power. Sanctions are a long term measure, that won’t stop the war and hopefully won’t be lifted with any peace deal. The West has frozen $300 billion of Russian linked assets, hopefully international law will be altered to allow confiscation to fund rebuilding of Ukraine. https://inkstickmedia.com/confiscating-russian-assets-the-devil-in-the-details/

Ukraine won't have electricity and soon means of rail transportation unless there is cease of hostilities. Iranian drones might be worse than contemporary ones (for example warmates) and be not good enough to deal with military targets, but they are good enough to move infrastructure into stone age. So it will be long winter, especially for old and disabled people.

Sanctions are not to stop the war. They are about preventing rebuilding military hardware.

1. Emigrate and find a job to be ahead of the curve.
2. Join the armed forces
Unsolicited advice does not help anyone. Especially when you suggest borderline options in a borderline situation. It's no good.
I am reluctant to volunteer because I don't know how to even shoot a rifle. I am better used where I have some expertise. Someone has to make sure the economy doesn't just grind to a halt and cities don't turn into cold crypts. Emigrating makes no sense, would just mean I bailed out while my people keep fighting.
Ukraine won't have electricity and soon means of rail transportation unless there is cease of hostilities. Iranian drones might be worse than contemporary ones (for example warmates) and be not good enough to deal with military targets, but they are good enough to move infrastructure into stone age. So it will be long winter, especially for old and disabled people.
Looks like they've run out (or almost run out) of those drones. Have not heard of them being used in weeks.
The infrastructure proved to be incredibly resilient. The winter will be tough but at least we seem to get water and heating back up very quickly. The electricity at home we can do without for a while.

On a different note, my company is approaching bankruptcy and the next month I will be let go. I'm considering my options.
This winter will be absolutely terrible. But something tells me there will yet be a worse one.

That's terrible news Weaver, I am very sorry to hear it.
Is there any government assistance available for companies to avoid bankruptcy or is that not on their (the governments) minds right now? How are the economic outlooks for your line of work in the country? Would your company or similar companies be able to quickly recover once the war effort is over?

So much for Putin's staged TV meeting with vetted mothers.

Last edited:
That's terrible news Weaver, I am very sorry to hear it.
Is there any government assistance available for companies to avoid bankruptcy or is that not on their (the governments) minds right now? How are the economic outlooks for your line of work in the country? Would your company or similar companies be able to quickly recover once the war effort is over?
Thanks for your attention.
I used a wrong word. It is not going bankrupt it is downsizing. They’ll pull through. Cool guys, I’ll miss them.
It was not the job of my dream either. For the last few years I was in this line of work to pay the bills. I was going to quit last spring but changed plans because of the war.
Now I have an opportunity to pursue the job of my dream. Which will yield less money for a while but way more fulfilment.

Thanks for your attention.
I used a wrong word. It is not going bankrupt it is downsizing. They’ll pull through. Cool guys, I’ll miss them.
It was not the job of my dream either. For the last few years I was in this line of work to pay the bills. I was going to quit last spring but changed plans because of the war.
Now I have an opportunity to pursue the job of my dream. Which will yield less money for a while but way more fulfilment.

That's great news. Some silver lining. And happiness is not achieved by getting more but by being satisfied with less. I'd choose a job I'd love any day over a job I'd like.

But I am still curious about the economics. How is the government support for businesses, if you happen to know? Is there aid, tax cuts or wage support?

Back
Top Bottom