Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

You are clearly saying that people who fall on the left side of the political spectrum are totalitarian. You were not talking about totalitarian left. You were talking about all the left. Your English is excellent, and you are capable of intelligent thought, so I have a hard time ascribing this to anything else but bad faith.
Later I realized that my wording was not precise and I specified what I actually meant. Why do you ignore it? At this point are you sure you are talking to me rather than to what you want me to be?
As to the Trump stuff, I've heard of various hot takes neither of which convinced me. If you take it as a sign that I'm a right-winger, I don't even know what to say.
For example, Weaver would have been a Putin admirer if Ukraine had good relations with Russia. Because otherwise SJWs would ruin his life and the white hetero man would go extinct lol.
Why would you say that? How did you come to that conclusion? I feel like a few people in this thread are projecting too hard.
Is that the world you live in? Someone critiques one authoritarian ideology so he must support an even worse authoritarian regime because.. why?.
What made you think I could ever admire a regime that cracks down on gay people, political opposition, free speech, liberal values, etc.? You don't even know me and you're making such foolish claims. In Putin's Russia I would be in jail or living a lie in humiliation, just like many people I'm close with. This is why this entire country resists so hard. Not because there's any ethnic tension or what not. I have mostly Russian blood, just a drip of Ukrainian, I am Russophone, and I'm terrified of what Putin has been doing to his own country.
The real reason I think "leftists" in the west are so pro-ukraine has nothing to do with what's actually going on there. To me it's just an extension of political divisions in the west itself. As I said before, being pro-putin is a form of anti-establishment rebellion in the west, and the flipside of that is that being pro-ukraine is generally the pro-establishment position. This is why there was such a sudden break between the Republican party in America (pro-Ukraine) and so many of their voters (pro-Putin or apathetic). It's also why "leftists", who are for the most part middle class and aligned with the establishment, so quickly went along with the establishment position on Ukraine.

Bear in mind that very few of these people knew a damn thing about Ukraine until this year, especially in the english-speaking west. The suddenness and hysteria of their realignment can only be understood in terms of positions they've already taken in the home country, not the conditions in Ukraine. I think for example, a lot of democrats immediately drew parallels between Trump and Putin, while populists drew parallels between the ukraine crisis and the arab spring or iraq war. This flared up existing passions that come out as pro or anti Putin, while ostensibly having nothing to do with him.
This makes sense. I believe my main misconception was that I considered the authoritarian left to be the anti-establishment wing. I totally missed the moment when tables turned.

Well, first of all, I am happy to pleasantly surprise you with the fact that people from third world countries also can access wikipedia.
But no, replying to your post I was talking about the kind of leftists you specifically mentioned. The authoritarian left. I do realize there is more variety to the left flank of the spectrum. But why wouldn't you immediately go for the least charitable interpretation of my words, right?
So are you walking this one back too? Because here you sure seem to imply that I was the one who misinterpreted your first post.

Honestly, if that is what you really believe it would be a better look if you just stood by it. Then I would at least respect your consistency. This whole "I said this but I really meant this other thing" dance is just weird.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with being a right-winger. The fascination with Trump and the racist undertones on the other hand I do find troublesome.

I am clarifying my position. I understand that not all lefties are commies and not all righties are fashists. I know there is nuance.
What's your point beyond this? Why is it so important to catch me by the tongue?
Also, I am not a right-winger. Neither fascinated with Trump, nor a racist. Where is this coming from?
Your respect is not required just listen to what people tell you to avoid jumping at projections.

Among the happy news, to madvader's chagrin, I have survived the rocket strike. The mall I frequent (it's near my parents-in-law's home) was hit today.

I am genuinely puzzled by your way of thinking. Anyway, I agree that this is pointless. I hope that you and your family stay safe.
Well, talk to me. You have several options. You can strawman me, you can notice that your perception of me is not consistent with much of what I say and remain puzzled, or you can confront me and find out what my views on issues that matter to you are. Why don't you choose the latter? It's how people remain grounded in reality - conversation.

Just go through this test and tell us the result!
Left-liberal with unusually high scores for offense/trolling and opposition to free speech. :grin: But also very low on social dominance, authoritarianism and nationalism.
Among the happy news, to madvader's chagrin, I have survived the rocket strike. The mall I frequent (it's near my parents-in-law's home) was hit today.
I'm glad you evaded the rockets, just as you did eddie's questions. :razz:

Last edited:
I'm shocked that nobody else mentioned the sheer tastelessness of that. Honestly disgusting.

The part where MadVader posted the Odessa strike in a discussion with Weaver & then said Veever is kill? Or when he followed up with an alt-right test and suggesting the guy who's country is being invaded to take it? Or when he joked about the rockets hitting the mall near Weavers parents-in-law's?

I didn't know who you were talking about since I have him muted but I unmuted him out of curiousity. Wasn't surprised by the results.
This guy can easily find himself somewhere on the dark triad.

Just go through this test and tell us the result!
Left-liberal with unusually high scores for offense/trolling and opposition to free speech. :grin: But also very low on social dominance, authoritarianism and nationalism.

I'm glad you evaded the rockets, just as you did eddie's questions. :razz:
This test doesn't make sense. Do you dislike certain religious groups. I mean as a American I know of many corrupt Christian sects in the US. Obviously my answer will be yes but the question is really asking do you dislike other groups then Christianity. The test has alot of bull**** questions that shouldn't be on their because they are too broad. Also I got left liberal

Why don't you pass an online test "Are you the Satan?" made by some local millenarian and then I'll make some far going conclusions about your character from the result?
You need to start talking to real people. That's how you yourself become a real person, MadVader.

Why don't you pass an online test "Are you the Satan?" made by some local millenarian and then I'll make some far going conclusions about your character from the result?
You need to start talking to real people. That's how you yourself become a real person, MadVader.
It's an online test, not an offensive conspiracy against you. The alternative is to ask you a series of questions (all covered by the test) about your beliefs, which would be exactly what you asked (to be asked about your beliefs and not labeled based on tell-tale signs), but now it's somehow too personal or something.

65986480.jpg

Last edited:
Let's keep this reasonable, please. That's like telling a man in a wheelchair to take a hike.
giphy.gif

the test is hilarious and it is tellingly unsurprising that you chose it
supa-hot-fire-meme.gif

MostBlunted got put into the corner but MadVader got sent into the ground.

In other news.. Russia deported nearly 1.2 million Ukrainians, including 200.000 children. I've never heard of something like this happening. What is the goal of Russia with this? To skim the country or to indoctrinate those Ukrainians in camps like the Chinese are doing with the Uyghurs? Wouldn't it destabilize Russia itself by inviting enemies into your country?

In other news.. Russia deported nearly 1.2 million Ukrainians, including 200.000 children. I've never heard of something like this happening. What is the goal of Russia with this? To skim the country or to indoctrinate those Ukrainians in camps like the Chinese are doing with the Uyghurs? Wouldn't it destabilize Russia itself by inviting enemies into your country?
I have bad news for you:
https://ridl.io/en/the-folly-of-shoigu-s-new-siberian-cities/
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/04/21/7341244/

Last edited:
We don't really know very well what's happening on the occupied territories. I would guess that some people move to Russia on their own will. Imagine, your city is pretty much destroyed and uninhabitable, the occupying force offers you to start a new life elsewhere or stay in the ruined city or a filtration camp for an unknown amount of time. There is no option to go to mainland Ukraine. Many would choose to relocate, I get it. We also know that forced relocation is also happening. Not to mention Russians basically kidnapping Ukrainian children. They are now preparing a law that would create a simplified procedure for Russian families to adopt these children.

Sure, it's a war crime in the modern world but it's nothing new. That's how expansionist empires consolidate their power over the conquered territories since forever. The oldest example off the top of my head is Jewish captivity in Babylon. Persians did it, Ottomans did it. It happened a lot in the 20th century too. That's how USSR worked to subdue Ukraine in its early days - by sending millions of Ukrainians to build cities in Siberia and resettling the land with Russians. That's how Russian Empire and later USSR created loyal Crimea - systematically relocated Crimean Tartars and other local diasporas and settled vetted Russians (mostly soldiers and their families) in their stead. They did it again for good measure after 2014.

Ukraine to halt key Russian gas transit to Europe, blames Moscow
Ukraine gas boss says he will redirect to another route, Gazprom says he can't. If they are right, Ukraine would interrupt gas deliveries to parts of Europe on its own, without a good explanation. There are a several bad explanations circulating, all made by pro-Rus fans. Hoping there's a good reason for this.
MostBlunted got put into the corner but MadVader got sent into the ground.
Classy way of ignoring someone every day!

Back
Top Bottom