Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone else think it's silly that people are telling reporters who promptly post to Twitter the locations of combat battalions fighting a war?

#BeachesofNormandy
#InTheTrenches
#MustardGas
#KamikazeeYolo

PinCushion said:
Is that crowd staring at something that might explode in their face or is it dead?
I believe it's only an engine from self-propelled projectile. I've seen photos of trucks hit with these without an explosion.

Comrade Temuzu said:
What's the point of bombarding a city that's barely within your range?
Kramatorsk was one the first big victories when Ukrainian army finally mobilized and started reclaiming land. Eventually it was considered safe enough to base one of army headquarters there. Also it has an airfield.

As for running out of diesel - I wouldn't be surprised.

Cease fire agreed upon.
This will be a very very fragile ceasefire.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/12/ukraine-crisis-reports-emerge-of-agreement-in-minsk-talks

rejenorst said:
Cease fire agreed upon.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/12/ukraine-crisis-reports-emerge-of-agreement-in-minsk-talks
http://news.yahoo.com/leaders-minsk-crucial-ukraine-peace-talks-051912803.html

IMO, I have my doubts that this "peace treaty" will accomplish jack ****. They're still disagreeing on a bunch of stuff, they're still not on the same page, Russia still won't admit that they have troops in Ukraine, and I doubt Ukraine will give the eastern regions the demanded concessions so easily.

Arvenski said:
rejenorst said:
Cease fire agreed upon.
http://news.yahoo.com/leaders-minsk-crucial-ukraine-peace-talks-051912803.html

IMO, I have my doubts that this "peace treaty" will accomplish jack ****. They're still disagreeing on a bunch of stuff, they're still not on the same page, Russia still won't admit that they have troops in Ukraine, and I doubt Ukraine will give the eastern regions the demanded concessions so easily.

Well it's not a "peace treaty", it's a ceasefire, and it will do "jack ****" in that they'll most likely stop shooting at each other and open the table for negotiations. This has the added benefit of allowing the supposed antagonists from both perspectives, namely Russia and the EU, to air their own grievances about the whole mess and hopefully get things resolved swiftly.

Bromden said:
Kobrag said:
For some reason Tem's got a hard on for Putin.
Corrupt, incompetent megalomanics are apparently sexy.
I wouldn't call him incompetent.
And why not? Investment is fleeing Russia, foreign ties are being cut, importers are switching to new sources and their military adventures are rather quite pathetic.

Well, from that perspective he might be incompetent, but he is quite competent in amassing and keeping power. So he might suck as a democratic leader, but he is a damn fine corrupt megalomaniac.

Kobrag said:
And why not? Investment is fleeing Russia, foreign ties are being cut, importers are switching to new sources and their military adventures are rather quite pathetic.
Yeah. but self-esteem has grown!!!

I think things might be quiet a bit, but till april. April is a fine time to attack - the soil will be rather dry.

Meanwhile in Ukranian Parliament:

:lol:

From yesterday's Minsk talks:

That's a journalist. I ain't gonna tell you which country and channel he is from, but there's really not much options.
495769_20150211232400.jpg

Kobrag said:
Bromden said:
Kobrag said:
For some reason Tem's got a hard on for Putin.
Corrupt, incompetent megalomanics are apparently sexy.
I wouldn't call him incompetent.
Russia's economy has grown exponentially over the last decade. I know a lot of economists will credit it to the horrible state it was in pre-Putin and the fact that it was already growing before Putin took office. But he surely was/is more competent than other post-soviet economies. Besides that, the fact that he has a lot of public support means he is at least somewhat of a competent politician.

Baerke said:
Russia's economy has grown exponentially over the last decade. I know a lot of economists will credit it to the horrible state it was in pre-Putin
Ah, yes, a common Russian speculation. But here's a good chart showing how 'genius' and competent economist is was:
Crude_oil_prices_since_1861.png
NB: Putin came to power in 1999.

It's funny though as Russian main reformer of the 90s Gaidar said:
- If oil price will be $100 per barrel or higher, even idiots could rule Russia.
Or a better one
- To put the economy and politics of the world's superpower depended to decisions of potential adversaries (USA) and its main competitor in the oil market (Saudi Arabia), and wait for them to agree, you'll have to have a totally incompetent people running the country for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom