Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Der Einzige said:
Kobrag said:
Russian military in Crimea and controls airport, according to Ukraine
I wonder what the modern equivalent of the charge of the light brigade would be?
That title is misleading. My understanding after reading the article is that they are only ethnic Russians rather than soldiers part of the Russian military.
Either or, for a "People's Militia of Crimea" they're pretty heavily equipped it seems.
The guy they interviewed in the article said he supported the people's militia of Crimea, but didn't know where the other men(the men who controls the airport) came from.

Ahh. When he said "I'm with" I thought that meant that was just their name but no one is sure who they are.
But still I would be surprised if they turned out to be Russian nationals or at least Russian military. Seems more likely to be just Russian funded.

Der Einzige said:
or at least Russian military.
Regarding the airport - russian military. The situation looks like ****. Russia is provoking, awaits who'll start shooting first (same as it was in Georgia). For example, if ukranian forces try to enter the airport, russians might start shooting. Why? Because nobody will arrest them - they will simply move to the russian military base and like "What? Nothing happenned. It wasn't me" and hide there. And we won't be able to get those guys, same as Yanukovich. Laws mean nothing to russians.
Right now they are blocking the whole Crimean peninsula. It might turn into Modlovian Transnistria, when there's no opened intervention, but the Government looses control over the territory. If those troops are attacked by force (and by all international laws), russians will show it as a 'threat to a local russian populace' and start an open intervention in order to 'protect their fellow local russians'.

This is just like one of my Victoria II games, crisis' are a pain. -.-
What is Russia getting out of this... aren't they pumping fuel to the Ukraine on a 33% cost subsidy already? It's not as if Ukraine will be indebted to the Russians for a long time anyway. :roll:

trueten said:
Der Einzige said:
or at least Russian military.
Regarding the airport - russian military. The situation looks like ****. Russia is provoking, awaits who'll start shooting first (same as it was in Georgia). For example, if ukranian forces try to enter the airport, russians might start shooting. Why? Because nobody will arrest them - they will simply move to the russian military base and like "What? Nothing happenned. It wasn't me" and hide there. And we won't be able to get those guys, same as Yanukovich. Laws mean nothing to russians.
Right now they are blocking the whole Crimean peninsula. It might turn into Modlovian Transnistria, when there's no opened intervention, but the Government looses control over the territory. If those troops are attacked by force (and by all international laws), russians will show it as a 'threat to a local russian populace' and start an open intervention in order to 'protect their fellow local russians'.
You believe those soldiers to be straight up Russian military though? I didn't think Russia would be that ballsy.
I think if Crimea votes to become independent than Russia will try and send troops into Crimea.

They certainly look better armed than any casual militia especially with those Ak107s(?) & Grenade launchers. Are the uniforms Russian though? The helmets look almost British somewhat...

I am wondering if Russia hasn't already had a contingency plan up its sleeve for years in regards to training and equiping local militia units/local assets on the ground in the event of a Ukrainian refusal to host the Russian fleet in the Crimea. The Ukraine threatened Russia with that kind of a refusal already during the Georgian war.

Nah, thanks to Yanukovich our economy is ****ed up. Russia pays cash for hosting its' fleet.

I imagine german army taking a walk in Königsberg.

Aww, great, now we have helicopters flying over Crimea - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=511490445637951&set=vb.481728225280840&type=2&theater

Somebody still thinks there's only 'volunteers' cosplaying?

Radalan said:
trueten said:
helicopters flying over Crimea
Are you sure that's where the video is from?
Yep:
1. I can hear ukranian radio playing.
2. Video is called "Helicopters heading towards 'Belbek'". Belbek - is the name of the Sevastopol' river and Airport.

Russian trucks arrived to our millitary base stating "We are here to protect you from terrorists". WTF?

Yanukovich is planning to give press-conference from russian Rostov-on-Don city at 15:00 o'clock, Kiev time.

Hey Europe. Won't you help us take Crimea and make it part of Turkey? Crimeans are very upset here in Turkey because RTE isn't doing anything about it and keeps giving our money to Saudi Arabia.

Back
Top Bottom