Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Yanukovych returns from sick leave on Monday, which is soon, as it's 6:50AM in Kiev as of this writing. Hopefully the stalling will end and something will happen. Bulatov, the bloodied man surviving his kidnapping and dumping in the woods, is now in Vilnius receiving medical care.

Parliament bloc leaders will convene in 15 minutes to decide on constitutional changes that will shift certain presidential powers to the prime minister.
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/euromaidan-rallies-in-ukraine-feb-1-2-live-updates-336083.html

MadVader said:
You probably mean this guy:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/31/ukrainian-protester-kidnapped-tortured-kiev-bulatov
No, I was talking about a guy named Yuriy Verbitskiy who was actually kidnapped from the hospital and found dead in the woods.
He was tortured in a similar way and eventually died because of hypothermia.
Trevty said:
ukraine-map-composite.jpg

Can someone give this some context for me?
That graphic is spot on.
Yushenko has made a big mistake executing his "ukrainization" policy. Not only did he try to close schools that teach in Russian and ban Russian language from certain spheres of life, but he went so far as reviewing the WWII outcome and elevating Galichina SS fighters to the status of war heroes.

Eastern parts of modern Ukraine are mostly inhabited by Russians or at least are culturally Russian.
Southern parts of Ukraine (my homeland) were seized by Russian empire during Russian-Turkish wars and mostly colonized by mixed population which is also mostly culturally Russian. Understandingly we have a long standing tradition of ethnic and cultural tolerance here and even local ethnic Ukrainians spoke against forced ukrainization.

No surprise these regions were up in arms against Yushenko's shenanigans. Galichina SS and other nazi collaborators situation was probably the worst. They were the ones who worked as "polizei" on occupied territories and mass executed jews, gypsies, partisans, etc. People still remember this. Especially in southern regions where jewish population has always been very significant.

Yanukovich cleverly played this card when he positioned himself as a moderate, anti-revisionist politician. There really wasn't much more about him. Bearing in mind that southern and eastern regions are most heavily populated and better developed economically, Yushenko basically shot himself in the foot by executing his nationalistic views.
Being a sentient person I personally didn't vote for Yanukovich, but the general trend is still there.

So yes, the divide in the country is mostly based on ethnic/cultural differences, which I find absurd. But that's what people care for.

Soviets were fairly decent at convincing a certain portion of the country that they were better off ditching their Ukrainian identity and considering themselves Russian, from what I've heard. Feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

Allegro said:
Do you believe this map to be false or to have considerably changed in the following years?

Ethnic-Ukrainians.jpg
Not sure what to make of this map.
Can't believe people inhabiting Caucasus' foothills are mostly ethnic Ukrainians, for example.
You won't hear Ukrainian language being spoken even as far east as Don. I'm not an ethnographer though, so I can't be absolutely certain those folks weren't Ukrainian colonists who were subsequently naturalized.
And tartarian population probably could not constitute a majority in southern regions of Crimea because of the mass deportation that commenced before WWII ended. But again, just my not too educated opinion.
Mage246 said:
Soviets were fairly decent at convincing a certain portion of the country that they were better off ditching their Ukrainian identity and considering themselves Russian, from what I've heard. Feel free to correct me if that's wrong.
Soviets were decent at convincing people they were Soviets.
Moscow did work towards creating a shared cultural space in USSR and Russian language was (and still is) a universal language.
But there were other trends too. For example, Ukrainian nationalists love to overlook the fact that the first Ukrainian alphabet was created in Soviet times.

To be fair, there were a lot of positive trends after Revolution and before Stalin. After that it changed for the worse and not just for Ukraine.
But Ukrainian identity wasn't being destroyed (unless I misunderstood what you mean by identity here). You could write in your passport that you are Ukrainian and that was perfectly fine. It's not like you were a jew or something.

The Ukrainian-speaking majority you see around the Kuban area is the result of both the establishment of the Black Sea Cossack host from Zaporozhian and otherwise Ukrainian-speaking people to protect the frontier against the Ottoman Empire in the late 18th century, and then further reinforced by the migration of Ukrainian peasants to develop the arable land. Furthermore, the indigenous Circassians were forcibly expelled numerous times throughout the 19th century. In 1918, the Kuban People's Republic made a brief attempt to join the Ukrainian Hetmanate before the White Army struck them, hoping to form a vast Cossack nation-state. By the 1926 census, the Kuban okrug was 61.5% Ukrainian, and Taganrog by far had the largest concentration in the region, with 71.4% Ukrainian. Novocherkassk however was as low as 12.1%.

In 1932-33, "Ukrainization", the encouragement of the practice of speaking and publishing in Ukrainian for those that identify it as their primary ethnicity for its preservation and cultivation, was halted in the whole USSR - especially outside the Ukrainian SSR - and so the Southern Russian regions began to require all political and economic documents in Russian, and schools began to transition to an all-Russian curriculum, replacing teachers and books as necessary. That policy came just as famines and Dekulakization and Decossackization waves of forced resettlement already wrecked havoc with the demographics. It shouldn't be a surprise then that the re-population of the region with new Russian settlers and the gradual assimilation of the prior population resulted in a Russian majority.

Consider this map from 1962.
000005.jpg

Wasn't the game a complete and utter failure for both critics and players? Tons of delays, bugs, **** gameplay, nonsensical story.
And yes, their absurd marketing for the game.

Bluehawk said:
The Ukrainian-speaking majority you see around the Kuban area
Yes, Kuban makes sense. They have a lot of Ukrainian blood there (although they aren't Ukrainian-speaking).
But Kalmykia?
Bluehawk said:
It shouldn't be a surprise then that the re-population of the region with new Russian settlers and the gradual assimilation of the prior population resulted in a Russian majority.
If we're talking about Southern Ukraine, the region was conquered and colonized by Russian empire way before revolution. I don't believe there were mass deportation/repopulation involved in Soviet times (sans Crimea, of course).

Kalmykia is almost entirely pink on that map Allegro posted. The legend says that region is predominately Kalmyk. The 1926 census gibes with that, at 75.8% Kalmyk; only 10.3% Ukrainian.

When I said "the region" in that second quote, I was still talking about the Kuban. Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom