Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

Hm. Can't say I trust reports from either side, albeit it's always interesting to get the view from multiple parties. I do kind of feel like supporting the protesters though.

Thanks to our Ukrainian forumites for constantly feeding us information. Much appreciated, wish you the best. :smile:

Of all the shyte that has happened in the world through my years, I can't say anything has gripped me like this. Might be because I have some weird Eastern Europe/ Russia History fetish.

Before/after
ONotkiL.jpg

The Ukraine was so criminal even a while back, but now the gov' is freeing criminals and engages them against the protesters. It's a total chaos. Once freed, there's no way to get them back in to jail; they're a force now.

Two years ago I went in Odessa on holiday, and you cannot even imagine how many thieves were there. People pretending to be beggars, random "students" asking for locations while trying to steal, people following you everywhere. I had noticed a group following me while I was split from my group; only when I rejoined they renounced to follow me. But now, the country should be a total chaos, with the titushi involved. The people from the Reublic of Moldova who want to travel in Russia already try not to go through Ukraine.

And another interesting fact: There are people from Transnistria who are hired to go to Euromaidan. They're paid like 100-200$, and I suspect they are on the government side. For those who don't know, Transnistria is an unrecognized state in the Republic of Moldova, with a soviet style-government, which exists solely because Russia funds it.

No end in sight to the deadly unrest in the Ukrainian capital Kiev. Violent clashes continue despite a truce between President Viktor Yanukovych and the main opposition leaders.
www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd2_1392910772

also, EU is going to sanction the people responsible for the violence with travel restrictions and freezing of their assets. Export of weaponry includings bats and fighting sticks. The Italian foreign minister Emma Bonino said; "we decided to act quickly, in the coming hours"  :neutral:

Hengwulf said:
also, EU is going to sanction the people responsible for the violence with travel restrictions and freezing of their assets. Export of weaponry includings bats and fighting sticks. The Italian foreign minister Emma Bonino said; "we decided to act quickly, in the coming hours"  :neutral:
Where did you read this? Nevermind. Found it.

If the action goes so criminal, and if the proteters manage to get more administrations buildings, then parts of police and army might come on their side and persuade the actual government to dismiss. I fear of a Ceaușescu-like ending.

Adorno said:
Hengwulf said:
Where did you read this?

Dutch news site, original source ANP- and from that prolly Reuters.
http://www.nu.nl/buitenland/3707887/eu-legt-oekraine-sancties.html#

I wonder if France or the UK or someone will send a military medical squad if things keep escalating. It wouldn't be surprising.

The government is shooting at unarmed medics, but they wouldn't for the life of them shoot at an armed and uniformed french medic.

Odyseuss said:
I wonder if France or the UK or someone will send a military medical squad if things keep escalating. It wouldn't be surprising.

The government is shooting at unarmed medics, but they wouldn't for the life of them shoot at an armed and uniformed french medic.

It's not like Ukraine doesn't have medics. It's a matter of organisation. I feel so sorry for them; they're just saving lives and putting their own at risk.

Bluehawk said:
Where is Yanukovych right now, physically? Is he in Kiev or elsewhere? Is he even in the country?

I suppose he's at his estate at Mezhyhirya. MVS spetsnaz "Omega" is in Novi Petrivtsi keeping away some Euromaidan folks that made the pilgrimage there.

Odyseuss said:

I would say that is very unlikely, sending militairy personel (even medics). Nobody is going to intervene with force in this one.

Hengwulf said:
Odyseuss said:

I would say that is very unlikely, sending militairy personel (even medics). Nobody is going to intervene with force in this one.
It's not force. If the Ukrainian government declines medical aid that will invalidate any of their claims that they care about the health of the population.

No, if they're armed they're a threat and Russia won't sit idly by if we send armed personnel into this.
I'm hoping Ukraine's army will send in their medics though. What's happened to the armed forces in western Ukraine?

Hengwulf said:
"we decided to act quickly, in the coming hours"  :neutral:
God speed.

The Bowman said:
Two years ago I went in Odessa on holiday, and you cannot even imagine how many thieves were there.
Its not that bad, frankly speaking. But yeah, you've come across russian oriented more or less soviet region.

Here's the criminal map of Urkaine:
p_72954_1_gallerybig.jpg

The most red one - thats where Yanukovich is from.

Now here's a map showing who supports Yanukovich (russian oriented) and opposition (EU oriented):
1351978949.png

And here's a map of rioting regions:
0f26b0bfeec27c0e997dd453ff4422d0.jpg
Blue-yellow - people taking controll of the governmental buildings and where police switches sides.
Red - rioting but yet not successful regions
Blue - passive and government supportive regins. This regions are the sources where titushki are hired.

[the map is outdated, but still shows the trends for oirentation]

Prague right now:
1890983_827049627322199_2096238025_n.jpg

The Bowman said:
It's not like Ukraine doesn't have medics. It's a matter of organisation.
That's true :sad:

Nobody controls Maidan. I can go there any minute, nobody will ever give me commands and I cannot command them all. If you read about Cossacks (or played the game), about Zaporozhian Sich, then this is the same ****. People are organazing by themselfs. But they will not win without organization. Opposition does nothing, it doesn't controll Maiden, they do not give any orders or advises, all they can do is to go to the nagotiations with Yanukovich and yet fail them all the time. But they also do all they can not to let a leader to arise on Maidan. Because if such thing happens - they will never be in parliament. That's why people are capturing buildings among the regions - they do not wait for commands, but act on their own wil.
The only reason Maidan holds is not to due organization (which is none), but due to bravery and even insanness (to go unarmed against a firearm? hell never) of protesters. I read a lot information how plant workers, office managers, proffessors, farmers and even bussinessmen (some have more than $1 dollars in banks) fight side by side with bats. No, Yanukovich, you can't win.

UPD: Just heard a large mob of self-defense troops passing by my house. They're patrolling the streets in case titushki will get here. Still unarmed though.

pentagathus said:
No, if they're armed they're a threat and Russia won't sit idly by if we send armed personnel into this.
I'm hoping Ukraine's army will send in their medics though. What's happened to the armed forces in western Ukraine?
Russia is pretty isolationist. I can't imagine them taking a forceful stand.

trueten said:
Prague right now:
1890983_827049627322199_2096238025_n.jpg

Yeah I was kinda surprised to see that the Ukrainian community here feels apparently so unanimously and so strongly against the regime. I had been under the impressions that they were more like "both sides are terrible".

I also really wonder what's about western Ukraine. The thing goes like this: my father has to inevitably cross the border in order to transport Moldovan workers to Russia. He doesn't plan to make an stop in Ukraine, but he wonders what's with the border checkpoints and the police? Recently, one bus transporting Moldovan workers was set on fire (still unclear by who), and I'm scared to ****.

Back
Top Bottom