Two weapon fightin? (dual wielding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Urlik said:
not just prior but contemporary as well.

anyway, the shoe-knife was unheard of until it appeared in James Bond in the 60's.
to my knowledge, there is no recorded use of blades being attached to shoes to be used as weapons prior to this.

And because it was recorded one or two times it then means it's viable for the entire time frame?

2 weapon systems have been recorded before the middle ages and as soon as records were made in the transitionary period from the middle ages into the Renaissance, offhand weapon use was recorded.
seeing as most of the other techniques recorded in the early Renaissance are accepted as being used in the middle ages, why not the techniques with offhand weapons?

Agreed, you can use this same principle for the shoe knife. Granted, I'm not a medieval historian, and I've no evidence for its usage, but I can say that the way it was employed in the KGB was quite simple close in and without any firearms involved, it could be used in the medieval period as well as the environment where it's employed is pretty universal. If it can be used in such a closed in setting similar to the medieval period, why can't it be in the medieval period?

nearly everyone had a knife, dagger or seax that could be used as an offhand weapon in conjunction with a sword or axe as a main weapon and not everyone would have a shield, so why wouldn't they use an offhand weapon?

It's the same with the boot knife, everyone had just about some twine or tying material on hand, they also had these small blades as you say, perhaps a particularly large fragment of metal that came off poorly made or worn armor or weapons.  It's not that much of a hindrance if you only let the tip jut out a little. So why wouldn't they tie it onto their shoes? It's kinda dirty, but cutting someone's ankles up is not something they can walk away with.

if it was mentioned in contemporary sources then it would have some validity
offhand weapons were mentioned in the Sagas, which are contemporary. shoe knives are mentioned in James Bond.
if M&B was set post 1950, then you would have a case for the introduction of the shoe knife.
if one of the Sagas or any other medieval record mentioned a knife protruding from the toe of someone's footwear, then you would have a case.

as it is, you are trying to draw a parallel where none exists.
maybe you should have found a better example.

Urlik said:
if it was mentioned in contemporary sources then it would have some validity
offhand weapons were mentioned in the Sagas, which are contemporary. shoe knives are mentioned in James Bond.
if M&B was set post 1950, then you would have a case for the introduction of the shoe knife.
if one of the Sagas or any other medieval record mentioned a knife protruding from the toe of someone's footwear, then you would have a case.

Actually, I'm pretty sure even if I could find one case that it wouldn't be very good. Standing back a bit, finding one or two incidents of boot knifing in medieval Spain isn't exactly indicative of European warfare. You can certainly claim that it's certainly possible in the circumstances where it occurred, in this case, small scale skirmishes and raiding. But we have to take into account that this is an occurrence among many tens of thousands, and to make this universal in the category of those tens of thousands of small skirmishes and raids is a bit of stretch either way.
It's like 12 divided over 40,000.
I guess that you can say that if someone did it there, everyone else can do it, but this is an temporal statement, where the time frame isn't really a factor here. In the current sense, the statement that it's possible for many to dual wield does include a historical preference. But you can count the number of times it happens on a few hands. Pinning down what the medieval era is and what fighting styles are prevalent in it is a very difficult thing to do, but I think that something should probably be pretty widespread to be considered part of that category. There's quite a lot of events that have occurred during that period more times than a person has used two weapons simultaneously that aren't considered to be medieval or European.
So I guess this boils down to the statement "it happened in medieval Europe" is not quite as correct as "it happened during medieval Europe, but is not necessarily part of it." The point that it's not impossible and could have happened during a set of events is valid, but it's valid for a lot of other things as well. What narrows it down and butts out the other things is its historical relevance, but I think you got to have a few more sources of it happening for it to be considered, part of that time frame. Or at least, the more the better. having it happen in a few fights every ten thousand times is pretty close to zero, and thus quite close to the evidence of boot knives having being employed.

as it is, you are trying to draw a parallel where none exists.
maybe you should have found a better example.

Perhaps shield throwing would be a better example :razz:.

shield throwing was probably as common as knife throwing on the battlefield and we have that in M&B  :neutral:
but I would suggest that the use of an offhand weapon was more common than shield and knife throwing combined.

Even if it is historical, it won't work in mount and blade, it makes the game unbalanced,

And 1 bigger point is the spamming, people already complains allot about this,
so you want to give people an extra weapon to spam even more?

End of this discussion

why would it be unbalanced?

an offhand weapon doesn't provide as much defence as a shield against hand weapons and no defence against missiles.

is dual wielding really going to make anything more interesting? i think not, actually. perhaps with daggers or something. but i wouldn't spend any attention on it if warband was a project of mine

Renneko said:
SPAMMING!
so use a missile weapon against it.

but anyway, if it was implemented properly, spamming wouldn't be a problem.
it would take a certain amount of time to complete an attack with each weapon, so it wouldn't really result in spamming

Urlik said:
Renneko said:
SPAMMING!
so use a missile weapon against it.

but anyway, if it was implemented properly, spamming wouldn't be a problem.
it would take a certain amount of time to complete an attack with each weapon, so it wouldn't really result in spamming

You can trow a missile when some is standing before you, ?

btw do you play online?

then use your shield or the reach of your 2 handed weapon against the sword and dagger.

no, single player only. but then I only want offhand weapons for single player game.
maybe it could be a server option whether to allow offhand weapons or not.

A great idea just struck me... Although I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to be struck by this idea.

Imagine this whole post concluded in a comic, cleverly paraphrasing every aspect of this post. It'd be a hit, to say the least.

Black-knight-blues said:
falchion in one hands spear in the other.
best combo evar
MasterCaruyn said:
Crossbow and Sword. Perfect combo: the target cannot run, and the target cannot get close.
Congratulations! The two of you win the prize and the runner-up prize for 'worst combination of weapons ever.' :grin:

FrisianDude said:
Black-knight-blues said:
falchion in one hands spear in the other.
best combo evar
MasterCaruyn said:
Crossbow and Sword. Perfect combo: the target cannot run, and the target cannot get close.
Congratulations! The two of you win the prize and the runner-up prize for 'worst combination of weapons ever.' :grin:
haha seriously :grin: how about a two handed sword on one hand and a giant battle ax on the other? :grin: wow man just wow!

or why not have a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other?
or any of the other realistic 2 weapon combinations

Back
Top Bottom