Two handed axe stats?

Users who are viewing this thread

reiksmarshal said:
Very true they will probably be breakable,  just hope they don't snap after a few hits that would kind of suck.

just carry 4  :twisted:

jk!

It should be a small chance and relate to weapon maintenance skill. Break after 10 hits on average. And optional on Game Options (realism).

reiksmarshal said:
You know I wouldn't even care if they looked like the ones in the trailer that would be kind of sweet actually and pretty much what I had in mind anyways. I really hope the risk of running with a two handed axe is worth it, shields are pretty tough in this DLC so I'm really hoping there is a version that can crush through blocks. Without the crush through block ability most two handed weapons feel like your swinging a nerf axe around and they get stopped by everything.

I have been doing some testing with the long axe stats and here are the properties I would like to see give or take some balancing:

Long haft polearm version: 1.2m - 1.5m (roughly)
-Polearm animation
-50-56c damage
-Bonus vs shields
-Can crush through blocks
-70-80 swing speed
-can thrust

Two-handed axe version 0.9 m - 1.1 m
-two handed animation
-46-49c damage
-Bonus vs shields
-Can crush through blocks (maybe)
-75-85 swing speed

I think the small 2-h needs a more damage and speed, but maybe no crush through blocks. The Frank Axe has 39 damage and 85 speed. you figure a two handed weapon should have more than that. 

For the polearm, I think it is over kill to give it crush through blocks and that much damage. Definitely needs a good thrust attack though.

As for shields, my Frank Axe can pulverize shields pretty quick. Hopefully the 2-h one will do it quicker.

I really hope they allow them to be upgraded at the smiths -- Germanic Axes were gorgeous weapons expertly made and some of the best preserved examples prove to be light, highly balanced, quick weapons when reconstructed. If they let you balance it at a smith we should expect one-two-<enemy shield gone>-three off with his head!

kalarhan said:
reiksmarshal said:
Very true they will probably be breakable,  just hope they don't snap after a few hits that would kind of suck.

just carry 4  :twisted:

jk!

It should be a small chance and relate to weapon maintenance skill. Break after 10 hits on average. And optional on Game Options (realism).

Na, I think it would be a 2-h axe, smaller hand axe, shield, and a spot left over for extra two hander (or pole version?),  javelins, or throwing spears.

I can see duels, two throwing spears to disintegrate his shield, another blow to break his weapon, and the downward strike cleaving him in two.  :razz:  :twisted:

I did close to this to Egil in the Holmgang with my Frank Axe -- damn bastard messing with Brunhild knowing I had swore to protect her to her farther.

I really think the "can crush through block" attribute should be a feature of these weapons. The shear force and focused weight at the end of the haft would be difficult to block regardless. Sure you can shatter a shield, but you should have a chance to be able to crush through blocks made with spears and other hand weapons.

I know this is not the best example or even a good one for that matter, but your only real chance to block it would be to redirect the blow or simply get out of the way if your not trapped in a shieldwall.  :twisted:

http://youtu.be/-WOyJDg8Az4?t=3m44s

It doesn't need to bypass blocks, axes already wreck shields in a few hits at 30 damage. At 50 damage most shields would be lucky to withstand one hit.

florinteal said:
It doesn't need to bypass blocks, axes already wreck shields in a few hits at 30 damage. At 50 damage most shields would be lucky to withstand one hit.

well if you want to hit, break and hurt at the same time....  :twisted:

instead of hit, break shield and not hurt the other dude :XD

My final word on what I want:

463main.jpg

The above head with a 16cm (@6 1/2 inches) cutting edge, and haft which protrudes slightly of 104 cm length (@3'5"). I want there to be lashing on the head too, seems the Vikings liked to use it. Damage at 48c and trust of 1/2 this or 24c. Speed of 85. Needs bonus against shield, but no crush through blocks (it does not work on shields, and the axe will already break spears and lesser axes if it strikes them). I want it to have the ability to be upgraded to balanced by a smith, ultimately then  this would be a 104 length, 88 speed, 51c swing damage, with 27c thrust -- any more deadly and it would be cheating!

reiksmarshal said:
I really think the "can crush through block" attribute should be a feature of these weapons. The shear force and focused weight at the end of the haft would be difficult to block regardless. Sure you can shatter a shield, but you should have a chance to be able to crush through blocks made with spears and other hand weapons.

I know this is not the best example or even a good one for that matter, but your only real chance to block it would be to redirect the blow or simply get out of the way if your not trapped in a shieldwall.  :twisted:

http://youtu.be/-WOyJDg8Az4?t=3m44s

Crush through block would work better if it affected parrying more than blocking with a shield, as it would be much easier to crush through the guard of somebody blocking with one hand on their weapon, as opposed to their arm around a shield.

Only problem is this is pretty unbalanced for gameplay reasons, as it would buff shields even higher than they currently are.

Crush through blocks?
I think not.
There's  a reason real woodsmen depend on sledgehammers and wedges to get most of their work done.
Axes just bounce off the surface or take only a little bite out.
I estimate that woods men of the era used hammers and sledges more than axes.
Piers, nails, pegs, metalworking, stoneworking....
No wonder Thor had a hammer and not an axe.

(I finally got the war hammers and sledgehammers working as add-on items. See my other post)

Back
Top Bottom