TWim - TWf-exclusive image uploading site

Users who are viewing this thread

Working for everyone else too?

Also, got an email of incoming downtime for database servers. You'll still be able to load images, but uploading will have problems during it.
We will be working to improve service on your MySQL server this Tuesday, March 28th, starting at 2PM PDT. This maintenance is estimated to take up to 2-3 hours to complete with a total of roughly 2 hours of downtime. Databases will not be available during this 2 hour period.

As part of this improvement, we will be upgrading your MySQL server to improve stability as well as patching it for potential vulnerabilities. There should be no data loss, but connectivity will be affected by this maintenance, and changes to your databases should not be made until the maintenance is complete.

Doot.

Got an email from my webhost:
Our monitoring systems show that your site is frequently reaching the technical capacity of its hardware. When this happens your website crashes and becomes briefly unavailable as we automatically restart it.

It has been restarted 6087 times in the last 30 days, aka just shy of 8 times per hour, constantly. From what I can think of, TWim is almost certainly the biggest "troublemaker" here, specifically the image resizing being the heaviest part of it.
This'd be the cause for most of the failed resizes and random "Service not available" (or similar) error messages, plus images occasionally failing to load.

You have a few options at this point:
  • Upgrade your hosting to a fully managed Virtual Private Server (VPS).  This will give you plenty of power tailored to your site’s exact needs.
  • Optimize your web apps and web content to be less resource-intensive.  You may want to enlist a skilled webmaster to help you.
  • Take no action.  Your site will continue to run up against its hardware limits, but if you’re okay with it we are too!

So I'd like to put it to the people who mainly use it, aka you lot. I'll have a look at if I can find a more efficient way to resize stuff (currently using ImageMagick), but if that won't do, there're few options:
  • Keep it as it is, with occasionally failing page/file loads or resize failures
  • Remove the autoresize-feature, which means you'd need to resize 'em yourself to more forum-appropriate limits
  • Upgrade to a VPS. Dreamhost offers couple different tiers, cheapest being $15 per month. Even that would take the yearly upkeep from €120 to over €300.

Though now that I think of it, I could also take a look into scripts which would resize 'em on the clientside, but browser support would become a far bigger issue then. Most of 'em these days care less about following standards and more of making up their own. :???:

Might be a good first (temporary?) test. I chucked a ticket at the hosting company, asking if there's a way I can keep track of how often it has used too many resources and had to be restarted. If they'll offer me a way, it'll be easy as to find out. I'm already looking into alternative option, will test out tomorrow if it'd make a notable difference.

As it is, I don't really have a reliable way to tell if it'd be "fixed" or not

It does. I don't think it's working though. Grumpy Jeremy never changed on multiple refreshes, and apparently my avatar is stuck with the Christmas hat on it, despite people refreshing the page a number of times.

I'm using Opera on Android, if you are interested.

Yes, that seems the be the case. Opening in a new tab and cache-bypassing refreshes both work just fine, regular browsing around and refreshing doesn't. Most browsers cache the first image which kinda defeats the impact of such a feature (it still works but far more infrequently in the typical user experience). I assume The Doge of Benis wants it to change whenever people browse through the forum. Is there any way to add a flag on your end that'll stop it from being cached in such a fashion? It's easy for me to fix it on my end but all of the fresh recruits from teh forumz pr0nz will still have the issue.

Yeah, opening in new tab worked on mobile Opera. I'll have a look and see what I can do about caching.

Yeah, I just wanted the avatars to cycle. Means I can add variations to it at any point too.

It was actually already set to never send a 304 status message and sends 200 every time. So it's the browser which doesn't respect the headers returned by the server. But, I've changed it to use current time as the file's "last modified" time, which should further try to force the browser to redownload it.

Lemme know if it's doing it now.

Doesn't seem to work on my phone (ie Android and Opera) but I don't really care. I doubt other people view the forum on anything other than Chrome or Firefox.

Back
Top Bottom