TW multiplayer feature delivery times calculated

Users who are viewing this thread

Maroon

Grandmaster Knight
Since it's been a bit over a year since EA release, and TW still refuses to tell us the scope of their multiplayer plans (let alone give us a roadmap for it), I figured I'd use the announcements and patches made so far to estimate how much longer particular features will take. I'll be using the "Statement regarding plans for MP" posts as well as several posts made by TW employees to calculate on average how long it's taking them to actually deliver particular features they discuss (not counting beta versions).

Category one: "almost complete" / "live very soon"
FeatureDate mentionedDate deliveredTime between mention and delivery
Clan systemJune 17th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 2)August 26th 2020 (patch e1.5.0)2 months, 9 days (71 days)
Clan matchesMay 6th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 1)August 26th 2020 (patch e1.5.0)3 months, 20 days (113 days)
Duel modeJanuary 20th 2021 (link to comment)-132 days and counting
Observer modeFebruary 12th 2021 (Statement regarding plans for MP 5)-109 days and counting
In-game Voice ChatFebruary 12th 2021 (Statement regarding plans for MP 5)-109 days and counting
In-game Report systemMay 6th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 1)July 27th 2020 (patch e1.4.2)2 months, 21 days (83 days)
Average delivery time of completed features: 89 days

Category two: "in the development pipeline" / "being worked on"

FeatureDate mentionedDate deliveredTime between mention and delivery
The ability to find and add Recently Played Players as friendsMay 6th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 1)Match history: June 4th 2020 (patch e1.4.1)
Recent players: April 8th 2021 (patch e1.5.9)
29 days
11 months, 2 days (338 days)
Basic spectator modeAugust 4th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 3)-301 days and counting
Ranked matchmakingAugust 4th 2020 (Statement regarding plans for MP 3)-301 days and counting
Battle modeMarch 19th 2018 ("Multiplayer Game Modes" forum post)-1169 days and counting
Duel modeFebruary 21st 2020 (beta testing Discord server-466 days and counting

Special shoutout to Duel mode being internally available in February 2020:
Y8hLs1V.png

This is by no means an exhaustive list, so if you know of more promised features, please let me know. This list contains what I've managed to find in an hour or two, and goes to show how absurdly little TW has shared regarding what is actually in store for multiplayer. Spectator, voice chat, duel and battle, and ranked matchmaking are just about the only major features that have been shared at all over the past 2 years.

If anyone was wondering why I was certain dedicated servers won't release until (late) 2022 back in November, it's because features that are "almost ready" take another 3 months on average to release, and features that are "in development" seem to take at least 9 months. So any major feature that is not in either category (such as dedicated servers) will take even longer.

Last edited:
Clans first mentioned in Vol1 - May 6
I believe that observer mode was announced on Aug 4, cus they were talking about broadcasting of clan matches there.
Duel mode mode was first mentioned on September 29, same for voice chat.

So the timings should be more grim :smile:

Duel mode, battle mode, and spectator mode were first mentioned as "We're working on this" in August, and then as "almost ready" in January/February, which is why Duel and Spectator are in both categories. I've split clan system and clan matches now though, thanks for pointing that one out.

oh fun stuff

Pretty sure battle was first teased as a "single life gamemode" so maybe search for that as well, I think both Duel and Battle have been mentioned a good bit before what you have right now.

Custom servers lol

Replay system shown working in a 2015 dev blog [I'm assuming this is a MP feature, don't remember exactly if it was explicitly mentioned - either way, it's not in as far as I know]

Alternatively: how to completely ruin your brand reputation.

@armagan for real, how can you still not set a statement to this disasteros happenings? MP is dead by now.
Every s i n g l e game is crashing. You were supposed to release this game by now, not turn it back into a alpha version of it.

classes still in the game instead of free equipment choices, combat is still bad, maps can be counted with 1 hand. good job on year 1.

Spectator mode was showcased and announced in a blog several years ago, but perhaps we should be charitable and assume a reset button once these things reach a certain time.

Back
Top Bottom