TV in your country

Users who are viewing this thread

tommylaw

Grandmaster Knight
Whats the standard of television like in your country?

I'll start off with Scotland: STV productions are pretty bad, heavy exaggerated accents everywhere and STV doesnt show FA cup games even though ITV does. BBC in scotland prioritises Scottish football over English football, which is fair enough, but I cant stand Scottish football.

Hong Kong television is truly awful. Bad actors, terrible scripts that i suspect is just recycled with new character names and slightly different settings when they make a new series. Characters are two-dimensional and often nothing more than filler. The 'period' dramas are even worse, where crazy ass martial arts takes centre stage, with explosions sound effects whenever someone gets punched. These dramas always seems to revolve around some family where people are either weak/stupid/dickish (and only for its own sake). For the most part, the characters arent particularly interesting, nor are the actual events in the show - to the degree that I could argue my life is more interesting.
And before I forget, every 'drama' series is proceeded by some godawful theme song that is always cheesy, annoying, and sung by the cast (sometimes to ear raping extremes).

Pretty good, considering the the global norm.

Then again, good TV is just a government conspiracy to put us into a sedentary lifestyle so that we won't bother rising up to blatant tyranny. Duh.

Crappy, the extremely boring commercial breaks are roughly 10-15 minutes long if the stars are right, most of the stuff they show is either from the previous century or best left away from the general public. All in all, it's much more interesting if you shut it off.

Wellll, seeing as when I/we watch TV it's generally either the BBC or flemish "Canvas" or Discovery/Nat. Geo/ occasionally Animal Planet, you can guess what I think of ye olde average quality of Dutch-made series and the like.

As long as you avoid all reality TV its great here.

Re-runs of Top Gear until the end of time WOOOOOOO!

Australian T.V. is just American T.V. six months behind.

We've got three major commercial networks that show nothing but U.S. reality T.V. and "Cat stuck in a tree, Muslims to blame" news. The other two channels are ABC, the state owned broadcaster which shows nothing but political debates and thirty year old British sitcoms and SBS which shows foreign shows/movies (foreign being not made in the U.S. or U.K.) and has the only evening news that shows anything form the outside world.

We have some good programs and some production houses who deliver quality but 80% is ****E.

If you don't look the Estonian TV-serials or shows, it's normal, but commercials really suck.

All I watch is mainly Simpsons and Castle and Top Gear.

Hyperion said:
Crappy, the extremely boring commercial breaks are roughly 10-15 minutes long if the stars are right, most of the stuff they show is either from the previous century or best left away from the general public. All in all, it's much more interesting if you shut it off.
This.

The only time I turn on the TV is when I'm eating or when I want to watch Top Gear/ Doctor Who re-runs.

Moss said:
Australian T.V. is just American T.V. six months behind.

We've got three major commercial networks that show nothing but U.S. reality T.V. and "Cat stuck in a tree, Muslims to blame" news. The other two channels are ABC, the state owned broadcaster which shows nothing but political debates and thirty year old British sitcoms and SBS which shows foreign shows/movies (foreign being not made in the U.S. or U.K.) and has the only evening news that shows anything form the outside world.

And why would you need anything else?

That show, makes me want to grab my eye balls and ram them up the arse of who ever thought that show was a good idea.

Generic, interchangeable serials one after another, news on who kissed or killed who, and with our elections coming soon, party leaders' endless bickering even though what the outcome will be is common knowledge. Almost every time none is on, commercials of stuff either we don't give a rat about or would already buy anyway.

Our channels are generally unintresting, and only show old shows, reality crap, political debates or news and finnish series which are about as intresting as watching paint dry.
Only time I ever turn it on is when a good movie is on, atleast we get atleast one movie on friday, saturday and sunday, often mondays too. That and 'that 70's show' reruns.
Could be worse though.

Back
Top Bottom