[TUTORIAL] Custom Knighthood Order

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiya to mods! Long time player of PoP, haven't been on forums for a while.
Loving 3.7, first time i've made my own CKO.
One question - my KO knights cost 121 compared to Knights of the Lion who currently cost 74 due to leadership reduction costs; is there any reason why they are so absurdly high for a unit? And is there any way i can reduce the cost because i am currently housing 70 of them just from random recruitment in my city even though they are useless (no armor or weapons atm). they are costing nearly 10k per week alongside the sergeants of the KO....what can i do?

Thanks v much

They cost so much because in time they'll become most powerful units in the game. You can always dismiss troops you don't need or give them to your lords. Though they were not so expensive in 3.611 as you describe.

You're probably got them mounted, and they're (always, I think) considered ranged. And CKOs just get an extra cost attached to them anyway because of their awesomeness. So yeah, they can get pricey.

Thanks for the rapid replies! From the sounds of it the better gear they get the more expensive they become??
I meant that they're starting cost from the day i founded my order was 121 for the Knights of my Order....they'd better not become more pricey otherwise they'll be entering Hero Adventurer cost :O :sad:
But thanks for the info, very helpful - might just stick with upgrading Silvermist Rangers since with 4 upgrades (150k) they end up being better than Noldor Rangers stat wise (- Noldor Bow).

Joshua Ryde said:
Thanks for the rapid replies! From the sounds of it the better gear they get the more expensive they become??
I meant that they're starting cost from the day i founded my order was 121 for the Knights of my Order....they'd better not become more pricey otherwise they'll be entering Hero Adventurer cost :O :sad:
But thanks for the info, very helpful - might just stick with upgrading Silvermist Rangers since with 4 upgrades (150k) they end up being better than Noldor Rangers stat wise (- Noldor Bow).

I can't remember exact numbers but pricing is affected by the following:
• Higher levels
• Having a horse (guaranteed mounted)
• Being a mercenary
• AND - archers over level 30. (they count as archers if they're guaranteed ranged weapons I think).

So a knight with a back-up javelin weapon would count as ranged.

what do you think of a CKO knight with Jatu Honor Lance, Noldor Kite Shield, javelins and a pendor greatsword?

Also, what's the best shield that displayes the player heraldry?

TrashMan said:

what do you think of a CKO knight with Jatu Honor Lance, Noldor Kite Shield, javelins and a pendor greatsword?

You might be better giving them a 1 handed sword or bastard instead of the 2 handed

Huscarl shield iirc

Unless you pick a really weak shield, or go too easy on their training, a Shield 10 CKO can do pretty well with most decent shields.

But then, if you want them to stand up to noldor arrows for example, check the various shield stats. Huscarl shield is pretty nice, while certain heavy infantry shields are... well restricted to infantry (but could be even better, depending).

Pretty sure heavy board shield is heraldic.

huscarl = 4.5 weight 13 armor 500 hp 81 speed
Heavy board = 5 weight 18 armor 700 hp 78 speed

edit: knightly heater shield is good as well. 2.5 weight (!) 15 armor 500 hp speed 100. Looks the nicest imo as well

Brew said:
TrashMan said:

You might be better giving them a 1 handed sword or bastard instead of the 2 handed

Huscarl shield iirc

I wanna make rounded KO.

Javelins so they soften the enemy and have a ranged response
Jatu Lance for horseback charge
Two-handed for when they loose a horse or sieges

the biggest problem is AI. It is absoultely retarded with weapon selection.

My 2-3 knight companions insist on using the jatu lance in melee. And in a few rare occasions they switch weapons, they use a mattenheim dueling blade ON HORSEBACK instead of the shield+ebony noble sword

You can give them a blunt weapon(1h, 2h or polearm) and micromanage them so they use it properly, but other than that, yeah, you're stuck.

Imo, the best cko should be archers with heavy armor and a 2-handed weapons(swords or polearms) to deal with cavalry charging or anything rush into their formation, n for a larger size of ammunition of course.
Believe me, that when u r at the stage of creating a cko, and after that, make ur knights become decent in battles, there are many choices of heavy cavalry or heavy infantry that fit ur need, the real rare and precious unit is a high rate of fire heavy archer with good accuracy and large ammunition size which u can find nowhere except create them yourself. Get them 2 kind of arrows like arrows-barbed arrows, or arrows-meletine arrows, u'll see half of them pick up another bag of arrow in their back, that means they'll have double size of ammunition. Just a good 2-handed and a plate armor is enuf for them to chew up anything in any situation.
Cavalry maybe useless in a forest, a mountain or a river, and heavy cavalries with javelins use up their ammo quickly in a siege and tend to scatter out in the field battles.

The only question I wanna ask is how the cko knights and sergeants use the weapons u give them.
When I give my sergeants a lance and a 1-handed sword, approximately, 1/4 pick lance n sword, and rarely use that sword; 1/4 pick sword n lance and rarely use the lance. 1/4 pick a lance only, 1/4 only pick sword.

Yeah, because I think sergeants are cheaper so itz better equip them as heavy cavalry, give them lance if u want them to face enemy cavalry, and sword if u want them charge into infantry formation, other support unit just draw intention n prevent enemies get close to my order of heavy armor archers. Anyway, the survive rate of those archers are the best of any units I created.

zeppelin said:
The only question I wanna ask is how the cko knights and sergeants use the weapons u give them.
When I give my sergeants a lance and a 1-handed sword, approximately, 1/4 pick lance n sword, and rarely use that sword; 1/4 pick sword n lance and rarely use the lance. 1/4 pick a lance only, 1/4 only pick sword.
Yep, it is messy. For convenience, a lot of people use just one melee weapon (and shield and probably bow/arrow.... or others)

Some of the shorter lances (like Light lance) are ok in a foot-poking use, so having that and a good sword, etc is fine too..

Alavaria said:
Yep, it is messy. For convenience, a lot of people use just one melee weapon (and shield and probably bow/arrow.... or others)

Some of the shorter lances (like Light lance) are ok in a foot-poking use, so having that and a good sword, etc is fine too..

I give my sergeants a lance, a war bow and a horse, but still, half of them fight with their fists on horseback. I remember that there's a mod that force the AI to choose a lance when on horseback and draw sword when there are more than 5 enemies at close range, right? Does anyone know where to find?

I have a every time i try to create my custom knighthood they take my money and qualis gem but every time i leave and come back there is the regular garrisoned guards and the same goes for other knighthoods i try to found  :cry:

Jardaster said:
I have a every time i try to create my custom knighthood they take my money and qualis gem but every time i leave and come back there is the regular garrisoned guards and the same goes for other knighthoods i try to found  :cry:

Upgrade to hotfix patch 3.7063 or download the full 3.7063 version and it will be fixed.

Seems like upgrades cost/time is based completley on cost. Heh. You can completely skip some expensive, but sub-par stuff.

That said, can you change the name of your CKO/knights/seargants during the game or are you stuck with what you pick?

Thinking of the following names:
Order of the Eternal Fire
Order of the White Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix Ascentant

KNIGHTS/Seargent:
Phoenix Knight
Flaming Wing
Flame Talon
Flamekeeper
Firebrand

I just did a CKO for the first time. I must say this might be one of my favorite Features. Great work!  :party:  It's loads of fun.

However, the equip-time doesn't sit right with me. I think it would make more sense to like, require a certain amount of Iron and tools or something. Like more than is offered on the map, so that It takes time to gather the stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom