[TUTORIAL] Custom Knighthood Order

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm an outright fool, I now remember doing that on my last playthrough, I was wondering why I remembered my old custom sergeants being better.....

On a side note, is there any way to change the physical characteristics (face/hair color/style) of your knights or will they always be the default male and default female characters

finedwarvenmods said:
On a side note, is there any way to change the physical characteristics (face/hair color/style) of your knights or will they always be the default male and default female characters

That's a feature I would love to see added!

My 6-month-old, CKO, the Lombone Knights! (named after my pets because I realized that I was staring at the CKO naming screen for a very long time)

I wanted to go for a foot archer CKO this time. I've based the Dreadknights' look on the sharpshooters from Heroes of Might and Magic 3. They ended up looking Doctor Doom-y (which is great) and I really dig the way they turned out. A minor issue would be that the green cloth of the hood doesn't quite match the Clarion Call green. Right now they're about as strong as a Ravenstern Ranger so I keep them on castle defense duty for the moment, but sometimes I bring them out for the occasional Mystmountain hunt.

Lombone Dreadknight stats
gAlMuuf.jpg

DKs looking boss with their Shadow Wolf Halberds
lEi7suH.jpg

Lining up for a volley
tnSCGIF.jpg

For the sergeants I went for a bottom up design because I enjoy whacking people on the head with blunt weapons. I found that Sheriffs drop like flies when facing elite troops and that Inquisitors take too long to train from War Priests. I decked them out in heraldic armor and matching armor pieces with red details to boot. I really wanted them to have capes, but the Sarleon Knight armor and the Lion armor makes them look a bit too much like those KOs. The battle hammers are great on them, but the slow swing speed means that they can't duel high-tier units that well. The Noldor shields are strong but the white color sort of doesn't match with the grey and red theme, so I'm thinking of bringing back the next best heraldic shield. They're mounted on Marleons Highbreeds because its aesthetic is close to what I'm going for. The fact that Marleons Heavy Cavalry are drawn from commoners is a cool detail.

Lombone Cavalier stats

mb7ZKSf.jpg

Cavaliers loafing around

pkQ0eSe.jpg

I started my CKO in Laria, but later gave Laria to Lethaldiran. Now I can't seem to manage my order anymore.
Did I screw up or is there a way to fix this?

moddereend said:
I started my CKO in Laria, but later gave Laria to Lethaldiran. Now I can't seem to manage my order anymore.

Make a chapter of your CKO in one of your walled fiefs. You will be able to manage them

What you did means he will use your CKO knights and sergeants too, not only in the field, but also in the garrison of his city.

Ralyks said:
moddereend said:

Make a chapter of your CKO in one of your walled fiefs. You will be able to manage them

What you did means he will use your CKO knights and sergeants too, not only in the field, but also in the garrison of his city.

That's so cool I wish I knew this earlier.

akagikagahiryusoryu said:
... DKs looking boss with their Shadow Wolf Halberds ...
lEi7suH.jpg
I would give them helmets with cyan hoods, not with the green ones. Cyan is the colour of their capes.
3szXGby.jpg
Or if you particularly like faceplate of that green helmet, you could copy/paste cyan vertex colour in OpenBRF. 

IconracI said:
I would give them helmets with cyan hoods, not with the green ones. Cyan is the colour of their capes.
3szXGby.jpg
Or if you particularly like faceplate of that green helmet, you could copy/paste cyan vertex colour in OpenBRF. 

That looks absolutely sick. I'll admit that the slight color mismatch with the faceplated helms and the Clarion Call cape was a bit off-putting. I'll try out the cyan hoods (and maybe switch the genders as well since your screenshot made me realize that the females' lithe proportions fit the look that I was gunning for) and fiddle with the OpenBRF just to see.

I was also thinking of downgrading the Noldor Composite Bow to either an Ebon Bow or a Hawkstorm Bow. The NCB, while undoubtedly effective, doesn't look as imposing as the weaker (but bigger) longbows. I like the Ebon Bow's long, thin and brutal design, as well as the fact that it is visually the longest CKO-available bow around, almost as tall as a man. The Hawkstorm Bow, however, is also of comparable size and has this vicious looking recurve that's in line with the greatbows of the unit I'm basing my CKs on.

Ralyks said:
moddereend said:

The steward in my other walled fief (Whitestag Castle) doesn't give me the option to create a chapter of my CKO...

Aldoarip said:
Did you have a qualis gem on hand?

Oh you need one in your inventory for each chapter you create? Thought it was just for the first time, that'll probably be the problem, thanks!

facepoppies said:
What can I use to edit the stat values of my custom knights?
Morgh's Editor for edits for a new game (because you need a new game for the changes to troops to apply there)

Or this savegame editor for edits to an existing savegame (savegame compatible changes): https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=295270.0
Note that for editing skills in there, you have to know which skill is located at which 4-bit chunk (skills are stored as hexadecimal values) and then you'll have to convert the desired values to decimal and then add them up together. This is a good spreadsheet that explains what I'm trying to say: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9p19rg22l1dr4l/MnBSkillsHowTo.JPG?dl=0
Editing attributes and proficiencies of troops is much easier.

Beware, there are 4 different entries for your CKO knights and sergeants each. E.g. dummies used for equipping and the starting template. Change the entries (1-1) that have the stats of your CKO knights and sergeants in their current state. That is, if you are using the savegame editor for an already existing game. Otherwise I'm not sure atm which entry is the correct one for editing the stats.

Gorvex said:
facepoppies said:
What can I use to edit the stat values of my custom knights?
Morgh's Editor for edits for a new game (because you need a new game for the changes to troops to apply there)

Or this savegame editor for edits to an existing savegame (savegame compatible changes): https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=295270.0
Note that for editing skills in there, you have to know which skill is located at which 4-bit chunk (skills are stored as hexadecimal values) and then you'll have to convert the desired values to decimal and then add them up together. This is a good spreadsheet that explains what I'm trying to say: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9p19rg22l1dr4l/MnBSkillsHowTo.JPG?dl=0
Editing attributes and proficiencies of troops is much easier.

Beware, there are 4 different entries for your CKO knights and sergeants each. E.g. dummies used for equipping and the starting template. Change the entries (1-1) that have the stats of your CKO knights and sergeants in their current state. That is, if you are using the savegame editor for an already existing game. Otherwise I'm not sure atm which entry is the correct one for editing the stats.

Thank you! Do you have any idea which custom knights in the troops list are the right ones to edit? I can't seem to find one that has the exact attribute values of my knights in the game, but I have trained them up several times in the game and maybe that doesn't translate to the save editor?

facepoppies said:
Do you have any idea which custom knights in the troops list are the right ones to edit? I can't seem to find one that has the exact attribute values of my knights in the game, but I have trained them up several times in the game and maybe that doesn't translate to the save editor?
Ok, I checked it for you. First, be sure to have a companion training your CKO. Doesn't matter who or for how long. Just get a training session going on (preferably for 1 week). Then save the game, quit back to the main menu and open up your savegame with the editor. Then you need to edit the troops called "trp_player_knight_save" (#1165) and "trp_player_sergeant_save" (#1166) respectively. These are the clones used for training. Export (save) changes, quit the editor and load the edited savegame. That's all (the changes in stats will be imminent).

P.S.:
A little extra info: the changes done to those two troops above will be automatically applied/copied over to the "real" CKO troops, which are called 'trp_player_knight' and 'trp_player_sergeant'. The units called 'trp_player_knight_dummy' and 'trp_player_sergeant_dummy' are used for equipping, while 'trp_player_knight_before_training' and 'trp_player_sergeant_before_training' store the stats from before the current training session (as the names suggest). The reported increase in stats after the companion's return will be the difference between the last two and the former two troops (the clones for training).

Excellent! Thank you very much! So if I wanted to edit it in Morgh's and start a new game, I would just edit trp_player_knight and trp_player_sergeant?

facepoppies said:
Excellent! Thank you very much! So if I wanted to edit it in Morgh's and start a new game, I would just edit trp_player_knight and trp_player_sergeant?
No. You have to edit the same troops as above even for a new game: "trp_player_knight_save" (#1165) and "trp_player_sergeant_save" (#1166) respectively. I wasn't sure in it, but now I see that edited stats can't be directly applied to 'trp_player_knight' and 'trp_player_sergeant'. Given this, you probably don't even need to start a training session while editing an already existing savegame's CKO unit...

Back
Top Bottom