Turning bandits into noble troops is silly to me

Users who are viewing this thread

It doesnt really make sense, why would these outlaws actually be of noble birth ? Maybe sometimes it could make sense, but most of the time it should just be common folks who can upgrade to common troops. This leadership perk just devalues the importance of maintaining good relations with villages.

giphy.gif

+1
I have long thought so too ...

Well, we've been over this a few times. My position, a noble troop should NEVER be able to be recruited as a direct evolution of looter-bandit-outlaw. Furthermore, I think that "Disciplinary Perk" based perks should only allow upgrading outlaws to a common troop (regular troop tree).

Also in different threads, we have talked about noble troops being recruited only in castles. This seems to clash with Taleworlds vision regarding the recruitment system and its rules.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but then hiring nobles from the yeoman at the local village doesn't make any sense either. Nobles should come from castles.

Speaking of noble bandits, it would be cool if some lords from destroyed clans went outlaw and became bandit heroes. They could act as a kind of boss bandit with a lord-sized army that they recruit from hideouts and a small amount of elite bandit troops who'd represent the former knights who joined him in banditry. That would spice up the map a bit.

Yeah this would be a great idea. Now how do we transmit the message to the devs? ?‍♂️
Speaking of noble bandits, it would be cool if some lords from destroyed clans went outlaw and became bandit heroes. They could act as a kind of boss bandit with a lord-sized army that they recruit from hideouts and a small amount of elite bandit troops who'd represent the former knights who joined him in banditry. That would spice up the map a bit.

Most nobles in this time period were former bandits and peasants, because the word "noble" wasn't invented yet.
Well, assuming the chronological paralel with the real world, nobilitas as a concept comes from the latin tradition, and if we transpose that to the sense of medieval aristocracy, either warrior or palatine, we can argue that the concept existed, especially in the 11th century. Now, nobility and knighthood, as an example for the Vlandian noble troop line, were concepts that overlapped from the 12th century onward. But knighthood was not - in the wide range of its total expression throughout europe and throughout the period - automatically synonym with aristocracy: you have the knights originary from the ministeriales in the HRE and the urban knighthoods in the towns of Italy and Iberia, to give a brief example.

Anyway, attributing the designation of noble line of troops to the elite forces of the Calradic cultures is a concept we must take as creative liberty and I deal with it imagining that these are the recruits coming from families able to pay for better equipment and, thus, from a better social standpoint. These can come from urban or rural backgrounds and so, yes, it causes me no grief to get them from villages.

Replying to OP, yeah, it kinda breaks the immersion for me to turn bandits into knights or other noble troops, mostly because it would make more sense to see them turn into mercenaries, even of good quality, and this could open the opportunity of expanding these types of troop etc.

It's not so irrational idea as you might think. Although it was mostly after medival era - in the eastern Europe - border between noble and bandit were pretty close. Search for one of the scariest cavalry unit that ever existed - it was called Lisowczycy. Many of the soldiers serving there were of noble houses that simply lost their power and wealth and had nothing more left than a banner of their ancesters...

Hard to say more of a heroes, bandits, soldiers, criminal or nobles... Nevertheless - they were feared like not many other cavalry units throughout history.

PS. Might be hard to find any info about them in english.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but then hiring nobles from the yeoman at the local village doesn't make any sense either. Nobles should come from castles.
I agree fully with this part. You should have to go to castles to recruit noble troops.

I also agree that bandits shouldn't upgrade into nobles instead they should just upgrade into mercs.

I've thought about this a lot. Mostly it seems a bit clunky to me, but there is a line of reasoning that has me consider it. Technically speaking in this game these are elite soldiers, people who have trained at their martial specialization from a very young age and excelled in it. We might presume that forest bandits live these sorts of lifestyles as their daily lives the same way these elite individuals do in villages.

In that case I think I'm okay with it, especially as they don't attain those abilities without being given advanced training. They could presumably have the same or even exceptional foundations for it, though.

Something I think would work better is having a new type of bandit mixed into bandit parties. They can be eligible for promotion into nobles, whereas every other bandit sticks to being either bandit chiefs or common troops if you use the disciplinarian perk or whatever it is.

I actually do this for my mod and it seems to work nicely.

In Bannerlord we are placed in a times just after powerful empire crumbled and was brought to its knees. Such times often resulted in many noble families loosing their wealth and power. It also often resulted in them becoming rebelious or very alike common bandits. If you were trained most of your life to fight in exchange for a comfortable life as a noble, and suddenly this is no longer an option - you might be tempted to choose other easy way to get money... History showed us such examples many times. From 16th till 18th century those situations weren't that rare as wars waged through out eastern parts of Europe...

I agree that not all bandits were nobles, in fact most common criminal were not. But this is just a game - simplifications are unavoidable. Plus his is early access. Don't expect developers to fix everything at same time. Finally - TaleWorlds is from Turkey - so I guess they are more familiar with the specifics of easter parts of continent than western. And differences were huge in that time due to traditions and political situation...

This would be sensible and really help making castles things worth having and holding on to in the game.

Hiring nobles in castles for noble troop trees (in addition to the Native hiring of peasants in villages for commoner troop trees) was a feature of top Warband mods ten years ago. Anyone who played those knows it's both realistic and makes gameplay sense, so it's the obvious best design.
Why are Taleworlds ignorant of this and other battle-tested mod features is a mystery. They only needed to look at mods and pick up the features that worked well there. This is not hard.

Hiring nobles in castles for noble troop trees (in addition to the Native hiring of peasants in villages for commoner troop trees) was a feature of top Warband mods ten years ago. Anyone who played those knows it's both realistic and makes gameplay sense, so it's the obvious best design.
Why are Taleworlds ignorant of this and other battle-tested mod features is a mystery. They only needed to look at mods and pick up the features that worked well there. This is not hard.
Absolutely.
giphy.gif

Imagine if Bannerlord had half as many features as TLD? By the way, what do you think about the revolutionary battle terrain system announced in the new video? :iamamoron: ?

Imagine if Bannerlord had half as many features as TLD? By the way, what do you think about the revolutionary battle terrain system announced in the new video? :iamamoron: ?
Well, it's not strictly like TLD scene generation, where IIRC the battle maps were random based on the terrain, but the background was dynamic showing landmarks in the distance. (I might have forgotten if special battle maps were used around some special locations.)
This one scene per region thing is not easy to do, as they have like 70 or something world regions and each needs a representative map. When are they going to make all these scenes?? And I bet some maps will have occasional problems with spawning armies at certain areas of the map edge (since all edge area is now potential spawn point).

I presume you (the player character) knighted them, which makes them nobility. One didn't have to be born into nobility to be made a knight; valour in battle was a usual condition for that in the early medieval age.

Well, it's not strictly like TLD scene generation, where IIRC the battle maps were random based on the terrain, but the background was dynamic showing landmarks in the distance. (I might have forgotten if special battle maps were used around some special locations.)
This one scene per region thing is not easy to do, as they have like 70 or something world regions and each needs a representative map. When are they going to make all these scenes?? And I bet some maps will have occasional problems with spawning armies at certain areas of the map edge (since all edge area is now potential spawn point).
Nah, I'm kidding. I'm sure it's going to be a nice feature and stop the feeling of deja vu in every battle... Of course, the scene pool is going to be huge, I hope it's implemented soon.

Let's move on to the topic at hand; sorry to derail briefly ?.

I presume you (the player character) knighted them, which makes them nobility. One didn't have to be born into nobility to be made a knight; valour in battle was a usual condition for that in the early medieval age.
if that was the case, then you wouldn't need special "noble" troops. You could just knight any soldier then. But these guys are supposed to be special.

Sure its possible a few rare exceptions in history where a common thief became a noble or moved to the highest social class -but i would guess it was pretty rare save a full revolution in which classes flipped. If TW had some good reasoning for this -id be more apt to accept it but as Lord vader says - its not hard to do something this simple (nobles exclusive from castles) to again give the game more plausible discernibility and distinction between troops. This game just feels samey across all the factions and NPC and Lords and this feature only adds to the problem.

A better solution imo would be to simply give all troops a quick RPG type traits system factored by troop type ie

Forest Bandit (1-10 + Rndm)
Str: 2-5
Int: 1-3
Agi: 3-7
Cha: 2-5

If you got a rare Bandit troop with high Charisma then and only then would he be eligible for Nobility like a Robin Hood type

Back
Top Bottom