Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dies Irae said:
Oh they say Erdogan is a bad guy. Yeah, they are right. 'Cuz he stole our heart <3

Omg
giphy.gif

This is like watching that teenage girl on your Facebook feed go on about this boy over and over, when he's a complete douchebag who is no good for her. Except like a whole country.

jacobhinds said:
Vraelomon said:
Wasn't Hitler elected?

Put about five quote marks around "elected". There were angry SS thugs outside the ballot boxes in the 1933 election.
He was appointed Chancellor by Hindenburg after all previous attempts at forming a government failed. That was 1932 not '33, when the election was as "normal" as they could ever be in Weimar.
The 1933 election(s) are a different matter entirely, especially the November one when there was nothing but the NSDAP to vote for anyway. But even the... March or May or whatever one, the NSDAP's influence was clearly visible as SS men "kept order" together with regular police. Which is probably what Jacob meant.

Anyway, he was elected, yes. Properly as well, as far as these things went in Weimar.

To get back to Turkey:
Wikipedia says the AKP got 49,48% and HDP got over the hurdle at 10,75%.
Doesn't that mean that it's now the exact same situation as earlier this year? The AKP needs a coalition to rule or it needs to form a minority government. Actually, come to think of it with the numbers being as they are a minority government would probably be the same to ruling on their own, eh?
How many seats does one need to change the constitution in Turkey?

Ah, good to know.
I edited my post, how many seats does one need to change the constitution? Is a simple majority enough?
Germany has the rule that one needs 75% of the seats to vote in favour of it, makes it unlikely that a single party manages to do so. Even though the current coalition could easily do so, of course.

It isn't. AKP has 317 MPs right now, they need 330 to put it to a referendum and 367 to change the constitution by themselves.

They might get the 330 votes needed for a referendum if the MPs from other parties are coerced but 367 will take some hard work to achieve.

Leave Turkey to the Turks really, what happens there and what they believe doesn't really affect me so I don't care much.

Turkey, as all places, will slowly become more westernised as time goes by. What suits the Turks does not suit us in Europe, but what suits us may not suit them either. It's just a cultural thing, I don't judge Turks for their beliefs, I just hope that what goes on there is what Turks want, as it's their business and not mine.

An Irish Noob said:
Leave Turkey to the Turks really, what happens there and what they believe doesn't really affect me so I don't care much.

Turkey, as all places, will slowly become more westernised as time goes by. What suits the Turks does not suit us in Europe, but what suits us may not suit them either. It's just a cultural thing, I don't judge Turks for their beliefs, I just hope that what goes on there is what Turks want, as it's their business and not mine.

Well really Turkey could intervene in the conflict beneath their borders and pretty handily wipe up at least ISIS if they wanted to. And thus help put an end to the refugee crisis which is making Europe lose its goddamn mind... but good ole Erdogan is still in office, so we won't see that, but point is it does effect Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom