Turkey Right Now

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jhessail said:
No wonder then. 12 years is easily long enough to develop a massive Napoleon complex.

The thing is that he was a normal person when he was the mayor. Then he went to America and got lost for a week and when he returned he became the prime minister and he was no longer the same person... I think they sent a cylon version back to Turkey. I'm sure that there are many bugs as well;

For example there was one time his voice changed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seHXDLY6Ir8

Also he sometimes says the opposite of what he told a day before.

He kind of did.
Goker said:
No. Term length is 4 years but there is no limit on how many terms one can run. AKP, the ruling party, has a limit of its own. Used to be 2 terms for one person but Erdoğan got it changed to 3 so he could run for prime ministry again. He's not getting it changed to 4 terms because he is running for Presidency now.

Bülent Arınç, vice prime minister, went to the press and had the amazing idea that women shouldn't laugh in public any more. It's "immoral", "contrary to the Turkish woman's virtue" as the German article called it.
It also isn't right that women talk on their mobile phones so much, as they only exchange cooking recipes (wtf?) and gossip anyway.

Next step:
No cars, no leaving the house alone, no talking to non-family males, eh? :lol:

You're on the highway to ****ville, Turkey.

He longs for the times when a woman would feel shamed, shy away, look down in embarrassment when a man looked at her. So he says a woman shouldn't be bold, laughing in a crowd and being a normal human being.

He also thinks women talk for hours on the phone about recipes and gossip and he says that should be talked face-to-face.

There was a sign the other day saying "Men. Do you want your future wives to be like bitten apples?" Obviously against dating and flirting. I think we've pretty much arrived to the outskirts of ****ville now.

... What?
If this wasn't really happening, I'd consider it to be a joke.

Goker said:
He also thinks women talk for hours on the phone about recipes and gossip
He's obviously never met a woman then. :lol:

Let's hope TaleWorlds release Bannerlord before Turkey's amazing leaders ban video games, and especially ones that get "exported", as immoral, violent, sadistic, and unpatriotic. And also female characters in video games, because they're contrary to women's virtues.

Goker said:
I think we've pretty much arrived to the outskirts of ****ville now.
How are you going to get out of there, though?

Sir Saladin said:
I want peaches and cream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZhaX8P3W8

Wouldn't say so.
****ville for me in this context are states like Iran. Or the ISIS areas in Iraq. In general everywhere where religion actually rules the day-to-day interactions of folks.
Of course especially the second is a extreme example, but whatever.

I wouldn't say Turkey is or was quite in that category.

'Know your place you shameless militant,' Turkish Prime Minister tells female journalist.

Turkey’s Prime Minister has called a prominent female journalist a “shameless militant woman” who should “know her place”.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan lashed out at Amberin Zaman, the Turkish correspondent for The Economist, on Thursday while speaking at an election campaign rally.

Remarks she had made while interviewing the opposition leader, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, on television the previous day had been condemned as “insulting to Islam and Muslims” by pro-Government supporters on social media.

She had asked Mr Kılıçdaroğlu whether a “Muslim society is able to question” the authorities.

Erdoğan called Ms Zaman a "shameless militant woman disguised under the name of a journalist".

"Know your place," he added. "They gave you a pen and you are writing a column in a newspaper.

"And then they invite you to a TV channel owned by Doğan media group and you insult at a society of 99 per cent Muslims."

Doğan Holding is one of Turkey’s largest conglomerates and Mr Erdogan is in a long-standing feud with its proprietor, Aydin Dogan.

The Prime Minister has denounced “made-up news” about Government corruption in the group’s papers, while Mr Dogan claims a huge fine over alleged tax irregularities against his firm was politically motivated.

"Mr Erdogan came to power using democracy. He is a product of democracy, but he can accept democracy only for himself," he told the Wall Street Journal.

"He cannot accept side components of democracy such as free media."

The Economist defended Ms Zaman, who has been the magazine’s Turkish correspondent for 15 years, in a statement on Thursday.

Calling her “widely respected”, it said the publication stood firmly by her and her reporting.

“The intimidation of journalists has no place in a democracy,” it added.

“Under Mr Erdogan, Turkey has become an increasingly difficult place for independent journalism."

“Freedom House, a New York based media watchdog, recently downgraded the country from ‘partially free’ to ‘not free’.”

Wellenbrecher said:
Wouldn't say so.
****ville for me in this context are states like Iran. Or the ISIS areas in Iraq. In general everywhere where religion actually rules the day-to-day interactions of folks.
Of course especially the second is a extreme example, but whatever.

I wouldn't say Turkey is or was quite in that category.
Places like Iran or ISIS territories are not really good examples, as one is an "Islamic republic," in which, by definition, religion rules supreme; and the other is an active warzone controlled by extremist terrorist. But in the context of secular democracies, Turkey is about as bad as it gets. The next step from our current state is total chaos or an actual dictatorship (in name, as well as in practice). So yes, Turkey is not the absolute worst place in the world to be in, but compared to the modern world, and taking into consideration its claims of being a secular democracy, it's ****ville alright.

Also, sorry for the late reply, I was planning to, but then forgot.

Turkey is voting to determine its President today. Reports of turnout being low in opposition strongholds is worrying. People have lost faith in the legitimacy of the elections after the last one was quite controversial. Of course, Erdoğan doesn't care about that.

I guess Erdoğan is the new president.Unfortunately Turkish people can't see the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom