Troops that need changing in the near future

Users who are viewing this thread

+1, all really good

My one piece of feedback... I don't think the Fian Champion necessarily needs a direct nerf; I think reducing damage of arrows/bolts to armor across the board should be enough of a nerf. If Fian Champion killed T5 units in 7-8 hits instead of 4-5 hits, it would be a balanced unit.
One can do all of this by simple editing of weapons.xml file. It's single player offline sandbox. Who cares 🤷🏻‍♂️

Eh, I agree that an arrow nerf is warranted, but in 1.9, in my limited testing, the fians still decimated t6 cavalry units on hold fire. Maybe we should give the rhomphaia to the Fian Champions instead?
Interesting, I'll have to do some testing too.
One can do all of this by simple editing of weapons.xml file. It's single player offline sandbox. Who cares 🤷🏻‍♂️
A: console players can't edit XMLs. This forum is for providing feedback on how to make the game better for everyone.
B: Taleworlds got paid hundreds of millions of dollars to make this game - making it good shouldn't be up to the users. They have game designers and balancers who are literally on payroll with one of their main tasks being balancing the troops and equipment. And this isn't exactly a big ask either.

My personal stance is that the vanilla game should be at least decent (which it currently isn't) and then mods can make it perfect. The vanilla game should be enjoyable and all its features should work as advertised. But perhaps this is too much to ask in 2022? Maybe we should normalise games being released in a broken state and left up to the users to fix?

Last edited:
Eh, I agree that an arrow nerf is warranted, but in 1.9, in my limited testing, the fians still decimated t6 cavalry units on hold fire. Maybe we should give the rhomphaia to the Fian Champions instead?

Was in a huge army battle between Battania and Vlandia.... Vlandia did open up with field over 300 cav and pritty much decimated the Battanian lines.... My contribution to that battle was some 100 fians and 50 cav, but I had only fraction of it when battle started... With such huge stacks of cav, their initial charge is brutal due to the aoe damage. Once a cav unit is stuck in a mass of bodies they are prone to end up dead, even from pesants swarming them. Huge masses of cav in 1.9 is no real joke...In smaller numbers tney cuddly as they always been.

Wouldn't do much, two handers simply wreck cavalry in melee due to reach disparity, except for Khan's Guard specifically because they have powerful two handers. Test the Veteran Falxmen vs. cav, they perform similar to Fians. Decimating T6 Cav is more of a problem with Cav weapon reach being poor for dealing with infantry in general, beyond initial charges with spear/lance.

Interesting, I'll have to do some testing too.

A: console players can't edit XMLs. This forum is for providing feedback on how to make the game better for everyone.
B: Taleworlds got paid hundreds of millions of dollars to make this game - making it good shouldn't be up to the users. They have game designers and balancers who are literally on payroll with one of their main tasks being balancing the troops and equipment. And this isn't exactly a big ask either.

My personal stance is that the vanilla game should be at least decent (which it currently isn't) and then mods can make it perfect. The vanilla game should be enjoyable and all its features should work as advertised. But perhaps this is too much to ask in 2022? Maybe we should normalise games being released in a broken state and left up to the users to fix?
Don't get me wrong, brother. It's just observation of 2 years early access where unit trees/equipment went from bad to worse. Also statements of devs like "we want elite units to look uniform" got me rid of false hope that anything significant will change. They are not even able to do proper redistribution of new armor pieces they added to game for release version. That's why I gave up on this months ago and do my own unit adjustments. As for consoles, might sound harsh, but I really don't care 🤷🏻‍♂️

It' easy to edit troops or armor stats and I'm playing with totally different troops as in vanilla. But it's not that easy to change armor performance against the three damage versions while increasing certain weapon damages. TW has to do it in my opinion.

If you know a mod for it, could you give a link?

I know about this one. Maybe it's what you're looking for.

Was an idea to give a horse one or two slots for weapons scrapped?

It would be much more easier to make cavalry more flexible with two more slots like for a lance, or another quiver or javelin bag or shield.

While in the siege those units would be more helpfull leaving lances and long spears behind and having rather shield for example.

Was an idea to give a horse one or two slots for weapons scrapped?

It would be much more easier to make cavalry more flexible with two more slots like for a lance, or another quiver or javelin bag or shield.

While in the siege those units would be more helpfull leaving lances and long spears behind and having rather shield for example.
I wouldn't be against it as a feature that's only available for the player and maybe companions/lords, but such a change would either make the cavalry troops radically more powerful due to having much more versatility (and likely more ammunition for horse archers and cav skirmishers) or more likely bug their AI out in some way and break them into becoming useless. Just making spears function better is more healthy for the game.

I wouldn't be against it as a feature that's only available for the player and maybe companions/lords, but such a change would either make the cavalry troops radically more powerful due to having much more versatility (and likely more ammunition for horse archers and cav skirmishers) or more likely bug their AI out in some way and break them into becoming useless. Just making spears function better is more healthy for the game.
I play mostly as Sturgia and my hopes were that if those raiders had one or two more slots for weapons they would be great. But having short axe and not very long spear and just one bag of (practically overnerfed and unprecise) javelins is too much kind the worst of all choices mixed. Another issue is real history just look at normal gear a rider had on him and on horse - mounted arsenal. (When thinking about Imperial faction for example bucelarus having another slot for shield and spear, even cataphracts were famous of being able to shoot prior to melee clash.)

I also would like to have spears working more to RL instead of almost useless weapon, javelin was nerfed too much IMO and who fears trowing axes?!

Yep, that's one thing I was always questionong. Why mounted units dont have additional slots for weapons? When I order my cavalry to dismount I want them to leave spears/lances with horse and go melee full retard! Including sieges ☝️

I play mostly as Sturgia and my hopes were that if those raiders had one or two more slots for weapons they would be great. But having short axe and not very long spear and just one bag of (practically overnerfed and unprecise) javelins is too much kind the worst of all choices mixed. Another issue is real history just look at normal gear a rider had on him and on horse - mounted arsenal. (When thinking about Imperial faction for example bucelarus having another slot for shield and spear, even cataphracts were famous of being able to shoot prior to melee clash.)

I also would like to have spears working more to RL instead of almost useless weapon, javelin was nerfed too much IMO and who fears trowing axes?!
I mean I'm not against buffing Sturgian Horse raiders as well as other cav skirmishers, I just think that horse units having access to 6 slots will make them even better than they already are (or break their AI in some way). And god knows that Cataphracts and especially Khan's Guards don't need any additional buffs. Don't get me wrong, I would also love for more historical accuracy in this game (and troops carrying 2,5 meters long spears on their backs also rubs me the wrong way) but giving additional slots for regular troops may have unintended consequences.

I agree completely about your other thoughts on spears being almost useless and normal javelins and throwing axes maybe being too underpowered now (although higher tier javelins like harpoons and jereeds are also a bit too damaging imo).

Extra slots on mounted troops is a silly idea, how is that good? Unless you can genuinely penalise troops for being overloaded with weapons, its not going to work.

The cataphract's weapons included:

• Composite bow: Same as that carried by the Toxotai.
  • Kontarion: or lance, slightly shorter and less thick than that used by the skutatoi which could also be thrown like a pilum.
  • Spathion: Also identical to the infantry weapon.
  • Dagger: Sometimes referred to as a "Machaira"
  • Battle axe: Usually strapped to the saddle as a backup weapon and tool.
  • ofc arrows for bow

That is just one example for historical reason but also gameplay what I´ ll try to describe:
Right now most melee mounted troops are geared quite purely, especially if they are dismounted their lances are useless, Even worse case are "medium" cavalry having short spear not good from horseback, one bag of not efficient javelins (besides jarids) and useless short melee weapon good only when dismounted.

If ai could fight with spears more like RL not what we have perhaps those slots would not be that missing, same for most throwing weapons. But spear fighting was broken in warband too so I do not expect to have it good in BL especially while all that beta time did nothing to make spear units usefull besides occasionally countering cavalry.

The cataphract's weapons included:

• Composite bow: Same as that carried by the Toxotai.
  • Kontarion: or lance, slightly shorter and less thick than that used by the skutatoi which could also be thrown like a pilum.
  • Spathion: Also identical to the infantry weapon.
  • Dagger: Sometimes referred to as a "Machaira"
  • Battle axe: Usually strapped to the saddle as a backup weapon and tool.
  • ofc arrows for bow

That is just one example for historical reason but also gameplay what I´ ll try to describe:
Right now most melee mounted troops are geared quite purely, especially if they are dismounted their lances are useless, Even worse case are "medium" cavalry having short spear not good from horseback, one bag of not efficient javelins (besides jarids) and useless short melee weapon good only when dismounted.

If ai could fight with spears more like RL not what we have perhaps those slots would not be that missing, same for most throwing weapons. But spear fighting was broken in warband too so I do not expect to have it good in BL especially while all that beta time did nothing to make spear units usefull besides occasionally countering cavalry.
Then fix spears first. They were quite fine in Viking Conquest, the problem is that the devs want spears to be like this despite all the complaints.

Even ignoring that though, how exactly do you let troops run around with all this and expect troops like Banner Knights to even come across as competitive? Skill is secondary to equipment, and Cataphracts are routinely better armoured than them. There would be next to no reason to have Banner Knights if a Cataphract is better in every single way except for like... being able to couch charge with a shield lol.

You kind of have to make gameplay concessions.

Why should elite troops be armed like peasants then? Like one long weapon - fork and one short knife, oh well even looters have stones so they are more flexible than many elites. Those elites were not like today "elites" :razz:.

Why should elite troops be armed like peasants then? Like one long weapon - fork and one short knife, oh well even looters have stones so they are more flexible than many elites. Those elites were not like today "elites" :razz:.
I said nothing about peasants, where did you even get peasants from my reply?

Having a long lance and a mace/sword like cataphracts currently do, as well as having fantastic armor, is not exactly "being armed like peasants".

I don't think elites necessarily need to be flexible but they do need to be good at their specific job, and cataphracts are pretty good at their specific job right now.

Gameplay-wise, if you give a unit too many options, it wastes time switching between them before getting killed by more straightforward units. I see it a lot when I give a captain a 1h+shield and a 2h handed weapon. Block block block switch to 2h stun locked to death. I think it's what helps a unit like the menavliaton so much compared to other shock troops.

Back
Top Bottom