Troops not leveling

Users who are viewing this thread

You can also recruit prisoners. This is by far the most effective way to get high level troops in the VC. Problem is, you have to be able to win battles and capture those troops to begin with, and you need good troops for that. Also recruiting prisoners is more difficult when you are low on level and renown. Therefore this is tactics more suitable for mid to end game.

Besides, it decreases the morale of your army. Just take care about that factor as well.

I personally never, rather very seldomly, recruit prisoners. And pagan troops, which also decrease morale within a christian army. Vice versa the same, afaik.

But sure, morale can be increased aka balanced against these factors with other (multiple possible) measures.

It all depends on play-style.

DaVincix said:
Besides, it decreases the morale of your army. Just take care about that factor as well.

That's correct. However since it's player who decides when to recruit and how many, this usually is not a factor. Simply don't recruit when low on morale, or recruit only as much as your morale permits.

Note however that part of the recruits might attempt to escape at the midnight first day after they have being recruited. But since they escape only from your party, there's workaround: just put them in to quarters, garrison or refuge for the night. Not sure if that's intended or if it's exploit.

DaVincix said:
I personally never, rather very seldomly, recruit prisoners. And pagan troops, which also decrease morale within a christian army. Vice versa the same, afaik.
I did not find morale to be big issue unless you pay no attention to morale and repeatedly do things which damage it. I newer payed attention to the religion of my soldiers or companions and newer run in to problems while doing so. Well, I might have desertion or two when getting over-greedy claiming battle loot. But I count that as my fault.

Another option is to use Morgh's editor and make a couple of your companions really high level with high level in training so that they can train your peasants. This will require a new game though.

hruza said:
DaVincix said:

That's correct. However since it's player who decides when to recruit and how many, this usually is not a factor. Simply don't recruit when low on morale, or recruit only as much as your morale permits.

Note however that part of the recruits might attempt to escape at the midnight first day after they have being recruited. But since they escape only from your party, there's workaround: just put them in to quarters, garrison or refuge for the night. Not sure if that's intended or if it's exploit.

DaVincix said:
I did not find morale to be big issue unless you pay no attention to morale and repeatedly do things which damage it. I newer payed attention to the religion of my soldiers or companions and newer run in to problems while doing so. Well, I might have desertion or two when getting over-greedy claiming battle loot. But I count that as my fault.

As said
But sure, morale can be increased aka balanced against these factors with other (multiple possible) measures.

and especially
It all depends on play-style.

Personally, i role play, aka i try to think myself into the timeperiod along "how would the protagonist apparently act".
I can't play such games without an according portion of realism/immersion, they quickly are very boring to me then.

Example, recruiting prisoners is a no-go then, unless for certain single cases (where according history-sources indeed suggest such cases), but just not as default-"program".
Imo., that the game allows that out of the box is rather one of the exploit-options within the game, and if there were a choice-button, i would disable that option, so that i'm hindered to use that option overall.

Maybe random scripted triggered "events" post-battle would be a better solution, such as that from time to time a certain troop offers to join your party, just applicated for post-battle prisoners as well, and fe. very high renown would be conditions.

Jellyfish_sammich said:
Another option is to use Morgh's editor and make a couple of your companions really high level with high level in training so that they can train your peasants. This will require a new game though.

game has a option (visit camp, options) for the XP curve of troops. If anyone wants to modify it further (make it easier or harder), then visit the modding section, as it is a quick change on the game source (not so easy to test and balance it, but quick to change hehe)

game is meant to be played, once you are high level and powerful enough, with a army composed of a mix of troops and tiers. 50% recruits, 25% common soldiers and 25% veterans/elites should be a normal aim. This will keep your army balanced with the AI, which means you will still have to pay attention in battles, instead of just clicking charge and go drink tea while they auto-kill everything for you  :mrgreen:

this game is not meant to be played like Native, where you focus on elite armies.

of course each player can make their own choices and change the game (tweaks, cheats, modding, exploits) and do whatever they feel is more fun.

... means you will still have to pay attention in battles, instead of just clicking charge and go drink tea while they auto-kill everything for you

Exactly.

A game (or mod) is but really "optimised" balance-wise (or read: combat optimal developed), if such Easy-options are not an option (unless somebody is using actually cheats and/or changes the according code/s).

I think VC (as well as Native) offers still too much default exploits. And at least i hope, the Bannerlord devs will do it (a tad) better in this regard.

DaVincix said:
And at least i hope, the Bannerlord devs will do it (a tad) better in this regard.

they won't, because you are asking for the improbable. That somehow they will manage to make the game the exact way you want it to be  :mrgreen:. Devs need to balance things for different players, so if you are not happy with EASY/NORMAL/HARD/NIGHTMARE modes that most games have nowadays, you should just try a different submod or make the changes yourself.

the good news is that TW games are easy to mod, so in a few hours you can create your perfect world (difficulty wise) with just a few adjustments.

One thing I would love to see in Bannerlord is the capacity to ambush within a battle. Hide a group of troops in the forest and hope the AI doesn't see them. It would be great if the AI would try the same thing.

kalarhan said:
DaVincix said:
And at least i hope, the Bannerlord devs will do it (a tad) better in this regard.

they won't, because you are asking for the improbable. That somehow they will manage to make the game the exact way you want it to be  :mrgreen:. Devs need to balance things for different players, so if you are not happy with EASY/NORMAL/HARD/NIGHTMARE modes that most games have nowadays, you should just try a different submod or make the changes yourself.

the good news is that TW games are easy to mod, so in a few hours you can create your perfect world (difficulty wise) with just a few adjustments.

My point was not about the different difficulty settings. But about basic gameplay possibilities, which are there on all difficulties.
And thus, i disagree in this regard with your viewpoint, because i speak of the default game-design, here combat items, which are different in the various games.
I explained to you already, that i'm not a games-noobie, but vice versa. Where i would/could agree is, that merely nowadays, game developers have an increasing tendency to create their games for so-called casual gamers, and yes, modders have then to "correct" game-designs, where and when possible, for the not-so-casual gamer.

I also find TaleWorlds games not the easiest for modding, and i have a vast experience with modding (various) games, circa since the end of the 90s.

And btw., as with pretty much every good game, here example Native, VC, on the first look (or play), these games are very good. The more one plays them, the more one finds the flaws. That's my experience with pretty much every game (even with "The Witcher" I, II, and of course III, which i consider as the best game developments the recent years). And one goes on the search for mods or if one can, starts to modify the game. Not without reason, Nexus etc. are extreme high frequented boards.

The commercial "mechanic" with so-called once independence games, from which M&B comes basicly: First, the game design is somehow new and unique. Made at first for usually not the casual gamer. The game becomes known and players (customers) increase vastly. Thus, the game developer has to change its course, a lot. For the casual gamer market. And usually, the financial frame rules aka the publisher and distributor, just then not anymore the game developer. I don't blame somebody, the game devs meant, it is just the way it is.

Back to the subtopic: Imo., a game developer can indeed avoid in-game exploits. It is just a game design decision, which probably can be set in early-mid game development stages. Of course, the chosen engine pre-defines quite something.

P.S. Indeed, i'm still on the search for a game or games, where i get not the point, that i must use mods or have to mod the game :wink:
Atm., only Medieval Total War 1 comes to my mind (released around 2002), which was "ready" as vanilla version.

DaVincix said:
modders have then to "correct" game-designs, where and when possible, for the not-so-casual gamer.

I also find TaleWorlds games not the easiest for modding

Back to the subtopic: Imo., a game developer can indeed avoid in-game exploits

modders don't correct games, they create alternatives, as said above, a game is created for the generic common denominator, not to any one player specific desire  :razz:

TW games are the best example of moddable games in the industry. The tech may be old now (from 2005), but it is still nowadays a example for other developers.

A game developer can only avoid exploits when: 1) it is a bug and they fix it (to that they need to first find the issue). Other cases of "exploits" are just game features or limitations that are not part of your vision for whatever reason (again as the game was not created for you). If something works as intended, no matter how weird it sounds to any particular player, then that thingy is just a feature doing its work  :mrgreen:

Correct was set into "..." for a reason.

And "wut", the game developer makes his game not for me personally? ... it is not mine? ... not my vision of the game?

More news, please.

:wink:

Jamie Wilding said:
Troops in this mod take forever to level, you need alot of battles for one promotion

as stated before the DLC has a different design view for balancing armies (not like Native Warband). You should aim at high level to have a 50-25-25 split (novice, normal, veteran/elites) soldiers.

remember you can change XP curve by visiting the Camp -> Options, or change the game itself by visiting the modding section.

The answer may be a little late and I don't know if someone has already said this but you can go open the module.ini file and search for "regulars_xp_multiplier =", just increase the number and troops will gain more experience from combat. Alternatively you could use the troop editor and lower the level of every single troop in game (a bit more tedious).

King Yngvar said:
troop editor and lower the level

that is a bad idea unless you know what you are doing, as the level of troops is related to several other game mechanics and it will throw balance out the window  :mrgreen:

kalarhan said:
King Yngvar said:
troop editor and lower the level

that is a bad idea unless you know what you are doing, as the level of troops is related to several other game mechanics and it will throw balance out the window  :mrgreen:

That might be if you lower them too much. I have just lowered the level of tier 2 and 3 troops by 2 and it doesn't seem to cause anything negative, have not touched tier 4 and 5 troops though because I don't know what the "AI poor troop level" is set to. Just lowering the level of tier 2-3 troops by 2 is tedious and doesn't make a huge difference, but I think setting "regulars_xp_multiplier =" to 4 works well.

Back
Top Bottom