Troops Deserting

Users who are viewing this thread

FireWolf18

Recruit
Hello!

I have been playing for some time now, and the thing that most annoys me is troops deserting.
I know that this is because of low morale, but the main factor seems to be "Party Size". Like wtf? If youre in a big army you should have higher morale!
Anyway, I have tons of food, since I am rich, and lots of variety, but troops desert everyday, and I have to rely on tavern Mercenaries. The only way they dont desert is if I win a battle, but I cant always fight a lord.

So, how can I stop them from deserting so much? :?:

If you have your own castle or town, put them away when you don't need them, especially during peacetime.  There's no need to have that many troops when you're running around doing patrols against bandits and whatnot as a small token force (size being dependent on difficulty) is enough to deal with that.  And, even though it doesn't really affect the game too much (though this can be applied with your troops to a small degree), it's something I keep in mind with my own game:

"A Guardian is a symbol of comfort, but an army is a symbol of conflict. ...If this is the size of our defenses, what is it we're expecting to fight?"
-Ozpin (RWBY)

During wartime, you'll still want to be careful about your overall troop size as well since your renown will drop, IIRC, every week by a certain amount.  I'll get into what I remember later on that subject.  I wouldn't take a full cache of troops with me unless I'm doing a solo siege and in a location that I can get to fairly easily (say within a day).  And even with the idea of a solo siege, I wouldn't even take a full set of troops either as I just need to scout out what I'm looking at, get the appropriate troops (and hope I'm not wrong on what kind of defenses the location has in terms of castle layout), and then siege.  After doing that, go straight for your castle/town and unload what you don't need.

If you're doing more defensive fighting, you'll definitely want to have less than your maximum troop size to make sure desertion doesn't happen because you lost some renown and, if the amount lost was high enough, lose troops.  Being on the defensive will mean more of you running towards a war party to either ward them off and hopefully have your presence keep them away as you wait around there for some time or be able to fight them off with those troops.  If, however, they have a large quantity of troops, you'll have to take appropriate actions depending on the situation.  Is it a village they're raiding?  Is it a town/castle?  Do you have enough troops and confidence in your party to be able to handle the situation or should you try to call reinforcements or, worse, abandon it altogether?

As for the renown thing, you gain a certain amount of renown per battle (default being a maximum of 50 per battle I think, but those tend to be rare unless you're vastly outnumbered IIRC).  Unlike something like Honor, you lose Renown overtime regardless if you're at war or not (I think it's per week you lose a certain amount).  There's also a bit of a "soft cap" on renown that, once you get to a certain amount of renown, it's too difficult to keep up with its upkeep as the more renown you have, the more renown you can lose per week; thus you end up in what's essentially a "soft cap" on renown so as to make sure you don't have some stupidly powerful army of 600 because you have infinite amounts of renown.  There's also the fact that you'll gain either very little or no renown after battle against things like bandits or small war parties, so keep that in mind as well.

Hopefully this is helpful.  If not, then someone with better knowledge might be able to help.

Pumping your CHA attribute and your Leadership skill will also help reduce desertions from your troops. 

And, as stated above, don't try dragging around a huge complement of troops.

1. Spend points in leadership and Charisma attribute.
2. Keep winning battles regularly.
3. Carry large variety of food and drinks.
4. Dont carry too much troops unless u r going to a large battle.

yeah, a few tips:
make sure to win the battles
get a good variety of food
have good leadership
make sure you can pay your troop's weekly wages
dont leave people behind to run away from battles

There is one other factor that governs troop morale.  If you or your faction is at war with another faction then the morale of the opposing faction's troops that are in your army will progressively deteriorate.  For example,  if I am a vassal of the Nords and if the Nords are at war with Swadia, then any Swadian troops in my army will start losing morale.  This will continue until the Swadian faction is eliminated.  It's generally wise to stick with your own faction's troops and not mix them up.  Just a thought.

I think the penalty of your enemy's faction troops in your party is only in the start. I currently have an army of Rhodoks ( Crossbow and Sergeant ), Nords ( Housecarls ), and Vaegirs ( Archers ) and have an excellent morale.
But I had a penalty from the start.

BondBroker said:
1. Spend points in leadership and Charisma attribute.
2. Keep winning battles regularly.
3. Carry large variety of food and drinks.
4. Dont carry too much troops unless u r going to a large battle.

Also,
5) dont recruit captured prisoners into ur army.
6) retreating from battles and leaving soldiers behind will also result in significant morale penalty.
7) If u have troops of ur enemy faction in ur army then u can station them in a garrison to prevent them from deserting u.

WhoAreYou said:
I think the penalty of your enemy's faction troops in your party is only in the start. I currently have an army of Rhodoks ( Crossbow and Sergeant ), Nords ( Housecarls ), and Vaegirs ( Archers ) and have an excellent morale.
But I had a penalty from the start.

If you are at war with a faction, the morale of that faction's troops will decay.  Of course you can augment their morale by winning every battle, having all of the variety of food, and having very high leadership but in time it will degrade.

i dont have a fief but i have an army of 70 that consists of swadian knights and vaegir marksmen (50/50) i ins pretty much every battle with no casualties as a mercenary i make a ton of cash from enterprises and lord ransoms but everybody still leaves and i have to find recruits and upgrade them i want to join the nords but the king wont offer me a fief cause of my relations with him literally cant do anything

i dont have a fief but i have an army of 70 that consists of swadian knights and vaegir marksmen (50/50) i ins pretty much every battle with no casualties as a mercenary i make a ton of cash from enterprises and lord ransoms but everybody still leaves and i have to find recruits and upgrade them i want to join the nords but the king wont offer me a fief cause of my relations with him literally cant do anything
Make more money and upgrade your character and companions (make sure to make a build for Training and Party Capacity). When you have enough funds, a big party and experienced companions, try to take down a town or a castle for yourself. If you are strong enough, conquer more and make a kingdom. If not, offer yourself as a vassal to an existing faction once you have conquered something. Of course the mechanics depends on a mod being played, vanilla Native is a bit lacking.

Raid isolated villages. Honor? Javik, help me out here. "Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer." As to how to raid villages of a faction you're not at war with, find a caravan, demand a toll, or find a farmer party, and threaten them (you don't need to actually attack). The best faction to do this against would be the Khergits. Why? Time for a quote of my own. "Khergits without horses are a bunch of walking corpses." Even poor villages will have multiple food types, and trade goods to pay for wages or other expenses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom