Troops always take the most direct route rather than the smartest/most obvious in siege battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Julio-Claudian

Sergeant Knight
Is this something that could be changed?
If an attacker takes the section of the wall where the ladders are raised there are usually two or more routes up to that position, rather than taking advantage of those clear open routes to surround the attackers are retake the wall from both directions, the group of defenders sent to retake the wall will all charge up the stairwell nearest to where they or the enemy are and get stuck there in a sort of bottleneck fighting on the staircase as a blob of troops waits at the bottom waiting to be killed one by one. The same is true for attackers, who will all run along the wall until they reach the gatehouse or ignore short ways around a building which would allow them to easily flank or surround the defenders, only taking the most direct route.

I get that it's because of the way groups work, but couldn't the AI be improved for these situations? SO that half a group would take the the stairway on the left side of the wall whilst the other half takes the right?

probably need screenshots to properly explain what I mean

Wooow there buddy, are you telling me there is room for AI improvement?!

That would be work and TaleWorlds is a small studio and I am a huge as**ole. So no, the AI is perfect and TaleWorlds is perfect.

Wooow there buddy, are you telling me there is room for AI improvement?!

That would be work and TaleWorlds is a small studio and I am a huge as**ole. So no, the AI is perfect and TaleWorlds is perfect.
Can't even tell what your point is

Sieges need to be overhauled from scratch, you have a good point but i would settle for the troops actually getting to the walls efficiently and then it is a matter of how much micro management are you willing to do.

If an attacker takes the section of the wall where the ladders are raised there are usually two or more routes up to that position, rather than taking advantage of those clear open routes to surround the attackers are retake the wall from both directions, the group of defenders sent to retake the wall will all charge up the stairwell nearest to where they or the enemy are and get stuck there in a sort of bottleneck fighting on the staircase as a blob of troops waits at the bottom waiting to be killed one by one. The same is true for attackers, who will all run along the wall until they reach the gatehouse or ignore short ways around a building which would allow them to easily flank or surround the defenders, only taking the most direct route.
The combat side isn't my area of expertise, but as far as I understand there is a problem with pathfinding in some scenes that have very high Z value deviations between different ladders, which causes the AI to think that the unoccupied ladders right next to them offer a path of much greater distance to their ultimate goal (on top of the wall). This can lead them to clump up below one ladder, even when there are apparently others available.

A fix for this is in the works.

The combat side isn't my area of expertise, but as far as I understand there is a problem with pathfinding in some scenes that have very high Z value deviations between different ladders, which causes the AI to think that the unoccupied ladders right next to them offer a path of much greater distance to their ultimate goal (on top of the wall). This can lead them to clump up below one ladder, even when there are apparently others available.

Hasn't a fix been in the works since this was addressed a year ago?

I was actually talking about the ways up to or down from the wall within the castle/town through towers or staircases, rather than the ladders raised by attackers. I'll have to take screenshots to explain.

I was actually talking about the ways up to or down from the wall within the castle/town through towers or staircases, rather than the ladders raised by attackers. I'll have to take screenshots to explain.
Ah, my mistake. Sorry. The challenge with what you are describing is most likely performance. I am happy to forward any screenshots you may have for evaluation though.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry. The challenge with what you are describing is most likely performance. I am happy to forward any screenshots you may have for evaluation though.

Duh could you also please tell the people that work in the combat side of the game to disregard agents that just spawned from the calculation of where the formation is so I no longer have to choose between ordering a charge and taking heavy casualties, ordering my 300 infantry to hold position and get slaughtered by ranged while waiting for 20 new agents to run up the field or keep the advance order active and watch 300 agents face away from the enemy that is right in front of them and get shot in the back while regrouping with the 20 agents that are so important that I had to lose half the numbers just so they could catch up?

That's not what I meant either lol. What I'm talking about isn't really a bug. Clearly I haven't described it very well. I'll take screenshots next time I get involved in a siege battle.
I was referring to that particular sentence, is it not what you were talking about. The general topic of the thread I understood.

I was referring to that particular sentence, is it not what you were talking about. The general topic of the thread I understood.
There I meant that once they've climbed the ladders and are on top of the wall, they can go left or right to reach a way down to the inside of the settlement. If the gatehouse is to the left all of them will always go in that direction and fight their way down one stairwell with most of them blobbing up at the top, rather than some of them taking the open route to the right which would allow them to easily flank the defenders who are holding the stairwell and gate at the bottom.

There I meant that once they've climbed the ladders and are on top of the wall, they can go left or right to reach a way down to the inside of the settlement. If the gatehouse is to the left all of them will always go in that direction and fight their way down one stairwell with most of them blobbing up at the top, rather than some of them taking the open route to the right which would allow them to easily flank the defenders who are holding the stairwell and gate at the bottom.
Yeah I kinda see it now, I think. A pic would be appreciated. Maybe make a report in the technical section, this is basically a pathfinding issue, otherwise I don't see this getting looked at.

Back
Top Bottom