Troop xp gain is too low

Users who are viewing this thread

To be frank, none of these workarounds sound like they could be the intended default for recruiting troops, more like an exploit only available to the player.

There is a mod that makes the trainer perks work as the skill did in warband, that is applying the xp per soldier in each stack, and I find it hits a pretty decent balance. I would guess that's how those perks are intended to work eventually, and once there is something to do in game besides fight we might see them fixed.

Lmao, every battle is basically two stacks of recruits/farmers fighting each other, it's boring.

Version: 1.20

It's pretty easy to win about 10 or so battles and start running around with a solid core of mid-tier troops that won't lose unless heavily outnumbered. I don't want to run around with a party full of elite troops.

I think you should mostly be stuck with t2-3 troops with a smaller core of elites.

I think you should mostly be stuck with t2-3 troops with a smaller core of elites.

Even if you increased the upkeep costs on high-tier troops by an order of magnitude, it wouldn't actually stop me (or any reasonably knowledgeable player) from running around with a full stack of 150 T5/T6 units.

This just happened to me. I got slaughtered and had to rebuild.

I think there is an actual progression you have to complete to recover from losing all your troops. I went out and grabbed 70 units. After that, the party was too slow to catch small bands of looters. So it took forever to level them up.

If I had only grabbed 10 recruits, the process would have been a lot faster.

There is good and bad about having the Training perks apply to a stack of units. The good is you could level new recruits really fast, the bad is you could level new recruits too fast. Go grab 50 recruits, and each day 5 are ready to level up. Just hold them at Tier 1 and in 10 days they are all Tier 2. It was the same trick I did in Warband.

I think a better solution would be for a way to get your Heroes to level up in Leadership and then they could add their Trainer bonus as well.

Even if you increased the upkeep costs on high-tier troops by an order of magnitude, it wouldn't actually stop me (or any reasonably knowledgeable player) from running around with a full stack of 150 T5/T6 units.

Yes, the solution to preventing huge stacks of t5/6 troops isn't wages. The solution is to make xp amounts to hit t2/3 relatively low, and then massively increase XP costs for troops for t4+.

Yes, the solution to preventing huge stacks of t5/6 troops isn't wages. The solution is to make xp amounts to hit t2/3 relatively low, and then massively increase XP costs for troops for t4+.

That'd be a decent solution. I can never get over which idiot in my army decided to give the recruits a 1h swords instead of spear and shield, which historically would be the weapon loadout for even unarmoured peasant levies. It makes a little sense for looters and villagers to have 1h swords as sidearms, as well as farming tools and clubs, but for "Empire recruit", ie a guy specifically recruited into the military,in history they'd either be given or have bought a spear and shield.

What about an XP pool for each fight?

Every group gets 10 XP per enemy killed.

A small bonus that would rapidly speed up leveling units.

I agree it is low for players but ai turn up with 100 max cav lvl and they have just had 0 troops 5 mins before so how the merlin did they lvl them up?

There is a mod that makes the leadership perks, town/castle training, and prisoner recruitment all apply per-unit instead of per-stack. It just got updated for 1.4.1.

Works well although at the default values it's quite OP. So I've been using the following values, seems about right:

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Config>
    <!-- Note that all configurations apply to ALL parties (AI, Player etc.) Unless specified otherwise -->

<!-- Daily Experience -->   
    <!-- XP given per day to each unit for Combat Tips -->
    <CombatTipsXpAmount>8</CombatTipsXpAmount> <!-- Native value is 15 -->
    <!-- XP given per day to each unit for Raise The Meek -->
    <RaiseTheMeekXpAmount>16</RaiseTheMeekXpAmount> <!-- Native value is 30 -->
    <!-- If true, XP for any ready to upgrade troops is NOT given to the stack (Applies to both Combat and Perks) -->
    <ScaleByReadyToUpgrade>true</ScaleByReadyToUpgrade> <!-- This being true will encourage upgrading troops -->
    <!-- Multiplier for amount of troop xp given by training fields, stacks ontop of Drill Master, i.e 4 * 1.2 * 2.0 = 10 per day (gets rounded) -->
    <GarrisonTrainingXpMultiplier>1.0</GarrisonTrainingXpMultiplier>

<!-- Daily Prisoner Recruitment -->

<!-- Determines the probability of recruitment by tier range is 0-1 (0%-100%) -->
         <DailyRecruitmentProbabilitiesByTier>0.15,0.075,0.0375,0.01875,0.009375,0.0046875</DailyRecruitmentProbabilitiesByTier> <!-- Native values are 0.5,0.3,0.2,0.1 -->
    <!-- Each time you get a 'successful' recruit, the probability is lowered by this amount -->
    <DailyRecruitmentProbabilitiesByTierDecay>0.00,0.00,0.00,0.000,0.0000,0.00000</DailyRecruitmentProbabilitiesByTierDecay> <!-- Native values are all 1.0 -->

<!-- If true, remove any ready to recruit prisoners from the 'stack size' during daily recruitment checks -->
    <ScaleByReadyToRecruit>true</ScaleByReadyToRecruit> <!-- This will encourage recruiting prisoners as any 'ready to recruit' prisoners will NOT be counted to the stack size -->

<!-- Multiplier for the speed bonus that foot troops get with riding horses in party inventory -->
    <MountedFootmenSpeedMultiplier>1.0</MountedFootmenSpeedMultiplier> <!-- Native value is 1.0. Set to 2.0 for speed equal to cavalry -->

<!-- Multiplier for the trade penalty on equipment that the player sells to others. Does not affect trade goods or AI lords -->
    <PlayerEquipmentTradePenaltyMultiplier>1.0</PlayerEquipmentTradePenaltyMultiplier> <!-- Native value is 1.0. Set to 2.0 for roughly halved equipment selling prices for the player -->
    <!-- Multiplier for the cost of upgrading troops, for the player only -->
    <PlayerTroopUpgradeCostMultiplier>5.0</PlayerTroopUpgradeCostMultiplier> <!-- Native value is 1.0. Higher means more expensive troop upgrade costs -->
    <!-- Multiplier for the cost of troop wages, applies to entire player clan, not to other AIs -->
    <PlayerTroopWageMultiplier>1.0</PlayerTroopWageMultiplier> <!-- Native value is 1.0. Higher means more expensive troop wage costs for the clan -->
</Config>

How did Warband not have this problem? Mainly, Trainer skill, which stacked with companions too. Okay, I can kinda see how they wanted to get away from that...was possible in lategame to very rapidly level up large numbers recruits into the mid-tiers without ever even entering a battle.

But another big factor was Shared XP among the party. The high-tier troops' kills helped the newbies level up this way. In Bannerlord, the high-tier troops essentially steal XP from the low-tiers because obviously they're dealing much higher damage much more quickly. Which then leads the player to nonsensical, artificial practices like putting Recruits in a separate formation and letting them brawl by themselves against Looters while all the veterans just sit back and watch.

So okay, I can live without (eventual) OP passive training like the old Trainer skill. But shared battle XP seems eminently reasonable to me; not that hard to do, and would help the troop training situation without trivializing the process in late game.

After getting curbed stomped a few more times I can say leveling up troops is the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.

I am not looking forward to another couple pf hours killing looters to get a decent army.

it was mentioned here minimum twice!!

put your low tier units into the infantry slot! dont let your archers fire arrows, because to train archers is the most easiest thing in bannerlord at all!
open your party screen, click on the tier 3, 4, 5 infantry, archery units, look upper middle right hand side the number I or II, or III and put them into the second (archers) group. put your tier 1 recruits into group I.
let your infantry alone fight against looters, mountain bandits, whatever small ez groups! every fight you have minimum 3 new upgradeable troops!

just 2 bugs i found: loading the savegame will reset the groups and the groups are not working with cavalary
(havnt tried it with beta 1.4 or 1.4.1)

the xp gain is based on damage dealt for each soldier. do that instructions, repeat, 2 weeks ingame hole bunch of tier 5 troops!

also athletics xp gain is also based on dealt damage. just read that bow or crossbow helps a lot, havnt tried it. but i will in my new savegame

Back
Top Bottom