Troop xp gain is too low

Users who are viewing this thread

Troop XP gain seems way too low compared to warband, especially after the simulated battle nerf. Even the AI armies can't keep up and are still comprised of recruit spam. I also noticed that the passive options of XP only work on 1 unit instead of the entire stack, so it will take years to upgrade a couple of recruits through passive XP.

Even in huge battles, only 9 or 10 units will gain enough XP to earn a promotion. This is painfully slow considering how easily a low tier unit can die in combat. It will take hours to get recruits to top tier, at which point the game becomes extremely boring as enemy armies consist of so many recruits that don't stand a chance against elites. It seems that militia garrisons are more of a challenge than a vassal army which is disappointing.

I don't waste my time with tier 1-3 troops, I only grab the 4 and higher from settlements and simply recruit from my prisoners (and I play on all realistic of course) it just isn't worth my time hoping they manage to not die all the way up to decency

The lack of any kind of traing skill exacerbates this. The Raise the Meek perk doesn't help any since it only gives 30 xp per stack.

In Warband we raised armies by training them daily. In Bannerlord we can't train them at all.

The lack of any kind of traing skill exacerbates this. The Raise the Meek perk doesn't help any since it only gives 30 xp per stack.

In Warband we raised armies by training them daily. In Bannerlord we can't train them at all.

There is that perk in the leadership branch that passively gives xp to tier 1, 2 and 3, units each day. You can choose that and get them a medium amount of xp, or choose the other option to give a smaller amount of xp to all units regardless of tier. So I suppose you can still "train" your units.

It is? I think it's too fast if anything. I only need to fight a few small battles and my guys are already T3.

Troop XP gain seems way too low compared to warband

Is it "too low" or "too low compared to warband" afterall? These two statements are widely different.
I wouldn't say it's low for T1 through T4 at least, although some way to passively train at least T1 to T2 troops would be nice. Not because it's too slow in general, it just doesn't make sense for me as a lord (or any other NPC lord, actually) to refrain from training my own army and instead send countless peasants to their death, hoping some will stick around. That's a disdainful waste of human resource.

Personally, I like the tempo soldiers get XP in combat. A professional army should be earned, not farmed in two days on three looter stacks.
Fixing the XP perks to apply to every single applicable trooper, rather than the entire stack, would be reasonable though.

We "need" some kind of trainer perk.
Not that crappy "raise the meek" thing which if it ain't broke might as well be. Losing a battle now costs hours of real time play
If TW want armies to be painstakingly raised over hours of time they need to make it harder to lose them, either all at once and by attrition,or if they want the player to sometimes lose a battle and carry on they need to give us some way to raise an army in less than 4 hours.

The first, or one of the first leadership perks gives your 1-3 tier troops a medium XP bonus. It makes training your troops out of infancy trivial. Like I was having legionaries in less than a month of game time at a fresh character.

Passive training perks do far too little, there's a mod out that improves this for both the player and the AI. It helps alot, and I actually see other parties having competent troops rather than a recruit spam.

Not to mention that you can't really get leadership 25 until you start being able to lead armies anyway. I have a strong suspiscion the perk is broken at the moment and awards experience per stack where it's meant to give per unit since i haven't actually seen a unit upgrade from it yet, and i've been checking.

If i could get my troops up to tier 3 easily it would really help.

Man, you guys have played way too little Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest.
There it took long to Train troops. In Bannerlord it's easy as cake.

The Real Problem is that there isn't anywhere where you can safely stash troops so that you can Grab a new bunch of T1s and Train them without high Tier troops taking away All the XP.

Is it "too low" or "too low compared to warband" afterall? These two statements are widely different.
To upgrade t1 unit to t2 you need 300 xp
This perk gives you 30 xp per day.

So this OP perk allows you to upgrade one t1 unit every 10 days.

In VC though the raw recruits had spear/shield and javelins.
They weren't great, but if you got yourself a bunch of kosetlka's (spelling, it was a while since i played it), you had yourself a functional army.

In bannerlord a recruit is just a dude with an axe. Not kidding i've got a save at the moment where i've got an army of 80% recruits and i can't face taking the next couple hours to train them while the vlandians gobble up my allied sturgia.

No, the dudes with Shields were T2 as well. But you mostly recruited those from villages.
The T1 troops were pretty much the same as in Bannerlord. No Shields, but at least a bunch of stones to throw. Thing is, you barely ever saw them recruitable. Mostly the good for nothings in towns.

To upgrade t1 unit to t2 you need 300 xp
This perk gives you 30 xp per day.

So this OP perk allows you to upgrade one t1 unit every 10 days.
And how exactly does that relate to the statement you've quoted?

Passive training shouldn't be fast. You've made a bad call and your army had taken heavy casualties? Tough luck. Not being able to print legionaries in 3 days might hint the player that death is apparently a thing to avoid.

Passive training perks do far too little, there's a mod out that improves this for both the player and the AI. It helps alot, and I actually see other parties having competent troops rather than a recruit spam.
+1 in warband you can just recruit 100 recruits and after 1 day half of them were leveled up

And how exactly does that relate to the statement you've quoted?
If you think that 1 t1 trooper per 10 days is a good enough, i have no polite words to discribe you.
+1 in warband you can just recruit 100 recruits and after 1 day half of them were leveled up
Yep. And most important - enemy lords did the same as i know. So their armies wasnt 70% of pesants.

I think the recruitment/XP/training system is probably okay in itself. But bigger-picture, different aspects of a game interact and affect other aspects in unintended ways. I perceive this troop recruitment/development model is somewhat over-stressed by the incessant factional warfare of Bannerlord....which leads to the AI lords stripping settlements bare of all troops regardless of tier. Part of the reason that these guys are running around with all-recruit/peasant armies is that's all that's available in the towns/villages. Another factor is the current quick-escape issue, where every Calradic lord is a Houdini. They're never "off the board" for more than a day or two, so ALL lords are running around putting intense pressure on the settlement troop sources; probably more than TW had visualized or foreseen.

Many of the various recurring issues in the forums, like this one, or economy, or garrisons and food-vs-prosperity, or the discussions about execution penalties, etc, I kinda see as symptoms of a more fundamental problem, rather than separate problems in and of themselves. That fundamental problem is the never-ceasing warfare. Quite simply, a faction is never at peace long enough to "catch its breath"; rebuild parties, develop settlements somewhat unmolested other than pesky bandits, allow the economy to prosper for a while, etc. This situation is somewhat distorting to some degree how players (and maybe even devs) are seeing various aspects of the game.

I suspect two very simple fixes would go a surprisingly long way toward helping a whole host of seemingly-unrelated issues:

1. Make captured lords stay captured for a while. Not forever, but roughly as long as they did in Warband; maybe a few escape or get ransomed quickly, but others might stay behind bars for the duration of the conflict. As the war goes on, this would cut down on the number of parties running around raiding, sieging, and recruiting townies/villagers.

2. Impose some period of inviolable truce when wars end. SO many times now, I've seen an Aserai-vs-Vlandia war (for example) "end"...and then another Aserai-vs-Vlandia war flares up again just a few days later. Areas around Charas, Ortysia, and Quraz never get any respite. That doesn't necessarily mean that a faction will have many long periods of overall peace...but at least it will serve to distribute hotspots around the map a little more, and certain areas can sometimes get some more "local peace".

Neither of these are new or complex mechanics; both existed in Warband.

Just to explicitly tie this back to the OP topic: if the overall pace and intensity of factional warfare eases up a bit, then the current process of recruiting and training up troops might not feel so slow in comparison.

The only problem with long truce periods is that peace is incredibly boring and, importantly, financially ruinous for fief-less bannerlords (Clan <T3).

I don't play the merchant game and don't want to play medieval trucker simulator, I make 90% of my money farming enemy lords and minor factions during wartime. Feed the war machine! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom