Troop fatigue?

Would you like to see fatigue during a long battle, or attrition on the map?

• Soldiers should get tired while fighting a long battle.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Soldiers should suffer attrition in certain landscapes / seasons

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • No soldiers should never get tired, it's a game not real life.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • No attrition, it would get annoying very fast.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Depends. ( Please specify )

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Add attrition / fatigue but include an option to turn it off

Votes: 20 17.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, i couldn't find anything on troop fatigue so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Will troops suffer from fatigue after running and fighting for a long time? Perhaps slowing them down and perhaps making less damage? This would be a cool feature and it doesn't make too much sense to have a long battle without tiring out your troops.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think attrition might affect units not used to it (i believe desert don't quote me on that) or i dream
I believe I've also seen that in some previous devblog (I think?).

Troop fatigue is not something I'd like during battles. As in troops getting tired after fighting for a certain amount of time.
However, I think that an attrition mechanic would add a lot to the strategy outside of battle. The winner of a battle would not solely be determined by the amount and quality of their fielded troops, but also the quality of their logistics.
It could add a nice amount of depth if implemented properly.

I like the idea of attrition on the map, having soldiers without proper clothing walking around in middle of winter should have an effect, same as having heavy troops walking around in the desert. This takes a toll on soldiers, and you would probably think twice before besieging a city in the middle of winter with troops not wearing a shirt.

Maybe this will get way too annoying though, just thought it would be a cool feature.

I would support on map attrition it would help with immersion. It would also give the Sutrgians and the Aserai a cool little advantage in their homelands.

I would like attrition to impact in troops condition that should be a separate value of morale.
Not getting paid or bad leadership should impact heavily on morale but scarce food and difficult terrain should impact 30% on morale and 70% on condition. Low conditions should give some nerf (-10% skills during the battle for example) rather than having people fleeing because they are hungry.

Also they said that camels and battanian horses takes less supplies. I hope that horses and humans eat different food, it would be strange human eating horse supplies or horses eating smoked fish and drinking ale. This could give strategic decision like if you conquer a port city with big supplies of fish you should unlock the resources for more infantry rather than cavalry.

I believe I've also seen that in some previous devblog (I think?).

Troop fatigue is not something I'd like during battles. As in troops getting tired after fighting for a certain amount of time.
However, I think that an attrition mechanic would add a lot to the strategy outside of battle. The winner of a battle would not solely be determined by the amount and quality of their fielded troops, but also the quality of their logistics.
It could add a nice amount of depth if implemented properly.

+1

Although if any given battle stretches out to be a long one, I don't see why some minor fatigue couldn't play a small role in the battle too. However, campaign map seems like the ideal place for this.

Definitely something that could be added in or at least modded in to add more depth to the gameplay, where troop movement speed, attack speed, and weapon proficiency decrease after a while of running and fighting which changes under certain environments.

Morale on the battlefield is something else that can be added in where units are more likely to run from battle on low morale. Having a variety of food as well as winning battles consistently, entertainment, and lords/companions with strong leadership can all be factors to raising morale.

I don't really like the idea of attrition on the campaign map unless you are short on supplies. Maybe you should need certain supplies to be in an area, but general attrition because of troop type would be an annoying way to lose troops.

Troops getting tired in a protracted battle though could be interesting. The diplomacy mod made it so horses would slow if they were wounded and I wouldn't mind something similar. A unit who had made or blocked so many melee attacks, or ran a certain distance, or taken damage could have slower movements, or perhaps being tired could just reduce the AI level considering that the new combat AI is leveled.
I could see strategies revolving around this mechanic. You hold your shield infantry in a shield wall and let the enemy tire itself out before unleashing your berserkers on them. Archers might not get as fatigued firing arrows so that if you hold them back as the battle progresses and they run out of arrows they might not be as good as the regular infantry, but they are fresh troops coming at full speed.
You could send in light cav/horse archers to harass the enemy and make them run around then retreat back to where your main force is waiting and fresh to face the tired troops.
Of course this kind of thing benefits the defenders greatly as they can force the attackers to run across the map to them. On the other side of this maybe it will give the attackers a reason to advance slowly across the map instead of charging. . .

Fatigue and attrition could be done, but I hope it is left to the realm of mods and not the main game.

I’d be open to either one (or both), with options to turn them off. It really depends on how they implement the system, though.

for me a toggle-able option were troops get slightly weaker and slower as they lose their health will be good it will simulate fatigue without adding and annoying layer of stamina like Viking conquest did also map attrition will be fine when linked with seasons and food supplies

Back
Top Bottom