Troop differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Just started playing this mod, awesome! Tho, I cant really see the "difference" between the troops. Tried searching, but didnt find anything. I know line troops have better melee than the light troops, but when upgrading, both troops can go grenadier and such. I'm a bit confused to be honest :/

You are not the only one. Troop balances are a bit of a tangled up business right now. It should be a lot more defined once the coming updates hit - Or so I assume!

Lord Westrum III said:
Just started playing this mod, awesome! Tho, I cant really see the "difference" between the troops. Tried searching, but didnt find anything. I know line troops have better melee than the light troops, but when upgrading, both troops can go grenadier and such. I'm a bit confused to be honest :/

From what I understand, line troops are better at melee, light troops are better at shooting (more accurate). Light troops for some nations can be upgraded to riflemen, they are much more accurate (i believe only UK and Austria have riflemen). Line cavalry (basically heavy cavalry) can be upgraded to troops such as hussars or cuirasseurs. Light cavalry can be upgraded to dragoons. Hopefully this helps a bit.

At the moment the animations are bugged, so there isn't really much difference in the melee skills between Line and Light Infantry.

Pick Rifles if you want to kill everything before it gets close.
Pick Line Infantry if you want a good rate of fire.
Pick Cavalry if you want to utterly dominate every single military force in europe and become the God Emperor of Napoleonic Kind!

The OP cavalry will be sorted once a new update comes out that fixes the animations however, and rifles are absolutely awesome at gunning them down before they can close.

SolidXerm said:
You are not the only one. Troop balances are a bit of a tangled up business right now. It should be a lot more defined once the coming updates hit - Or so I assume!

With Patch 1.2, the balance got destroyed. The Austrians will shoot your men from over the map becouse of their range, and the British Rifles will hit nearly every time they shoot.

Docm30 said:
Rifles got less accurate in 1.2.

Realy? I cant fight anything with France and Russia anymore becouse my men are being one shoted from the (one map) battlefield across.

Tried some light cavalry? Send your line infantry after your cavalry, so they may close up the distance while your cavalry get close and personal.

You're right. Using cavalry helps you a great deal. I find them enormously overpowered tho. I mean, I understand the advantage against infantry, but infantry units doesn't seem to be able to hit anything, unless it stands right in their faces. I usually let my people waste all the ammunition and with that they manage to cause a casualty of 4-5...
I know muskets weren't the most reliable weapons, but come on. Missing constantly, even on close range is not good.

Count Roland said:
You're right. Using cavalry helps you a great deal. I find them enormously overpowered tho. I mean, I understand the advantage against infantry, but infantry units doesn't seem to be able to hit anything, unless it stands right in their faces. I usually let my people waste all the ammunition and with that they manage to cause a casualty of 4-5...
I know muskets weren't the most reliable weapons, but come on. Missing constantly, even on close range is not good.

Editing tools will help you there... Just bump up musket accuracy a bit, it really makes a difference.

The horses already have much lower health and armor than vanilla ones. They usually go down with one shot/stab. Problem is infantry tends to shirk and break ranks when cavalry is coming at them

I use light cavalry as support for my line infantry (mostly to take out artillery) and they get killed a fair amount. I've never used heavy cav though.

Back
Top Bottom