Troop aesthetics after the armor rework

Users who are viewing this thread

Banner Knights have always had a grubby green hoodie, not sure what game you guys have been playing if you're just seeing this lol. They're by far the ugliest unit in the game. Or at least they were.

I just hate the Vlandian aesthetic, its like they weren't brave enough to embrace a truly 'Norman-esque' aesthetic and went high medieval, but then they forgot to add cool things like great helms. I don't know why anyone likes them, they're the dullest faction by far.

The poor Battanians though, goddamn. I never liked that warlord set, and now they've gone and added it all over the place. I can't stand it.

Well at least they fixed that celtic-esque chainmail shirt and gave us cool shoulder pads. Too bad the stats are absolute garbage for some reason.

This update is horrible, what are they doing? The cataphracts look dreadful now, where are their helmets? This game far from historically accurate, fur is not something anyone ever donned for armor.
I wouldn't say for armour, no. But I think wearing fur cloaks was something of a status thing around the colder places. Don't know about archaelogical evidence, but I like the look tbh. Its too ingrained for me to not like it. And characters were wearing them in Wiking Conquest, you telling me that game is historically inaccurate too?

running a party with 40 mamluk heavy cav, and they are the only reason i play this game, and now bumb 1.5.4 they are using master archer armor which i really hate the look it was lmao

Banner Knights have always had a grubby green hoodie, not sure what game you guys have been playing if you're just seeing this lol. They're by far the ugliest unit in the game. Or at least they were.

I just hate the Vlandian aesthetic, its like they weren't brave enough to embrace a truly 'Norman-esque' aesthetic and went high medieval, but then they forgot to add cool things like great helms. I don't know why anyone likes them, they're the dullest faction by far.

The poor Battanians though, goddamn. I never liked that warlord set, and now they've gone and added it all over the place. I can't stand it.

Well at least they fixed that celtic-esque chainmail shirt and gave us cool shoulder pads. Too bad the stats are absolute garbage for some reason.

I wouldn't say for armour, no. But I think wearing fur cloaks was something of a status thing around the colder places. Don't know about archaelogical evidence, but I like the look tbh. Its too ingrained for me to not like it. And characters were wearing them in Wiking Conquest, you telling me that game is historically inaccurate too?

Somehow I missed the aesthetic horribleness, I have not played much I will admit since 1.4.3. For weather purposes people obviously worse fur coats as there was no Macys around to buy a nylon jacket. But fur (especially fluffy shoulder fur) would provide no protection and hinder combat.

Last edited:
I just tested the beta and yes...those changes...oh boi. Even in the armor values there are notable inconsistencies (what protects more than). Unless this is a "placeholder moment" because new armour sets will be introduced soon...otherwise...I don't understand anything.

I don't know... I don't know what to call it...maybe carelessness or something; but visually everything related to clothing and appearance squeaks. From the faction tutifruti panoply to finding hairstyles with braids and dreadlocks in empire towns or the semblance of faces...

The fact that all the soldiers look like fat boomers is a shrivelled cherry on top of sh*t too.

Honestly, the only winners from this have to be the Sturgian Spearman. The bastards actually have decent armour now, bless them.

I just tested the beta and yes...those changes...oh boi. Even in the armor values there are notable inconsistencies (what protects more than). Unless this is a "placeholder moment" because new armour sets will be introduced soon...otherwise...I don't understand anything.

I don't know... I don't know what to call it...maybe carelessness or something; but visually everything related to clothing and appearance squeaks. From the faction tutifruti panoply to finding hairstyles with braids and dreadlocks in empire towns or the semblance of faces...

Yep, it's a horrible mess.

Don't take this away from me.

Hell, I don't even want to think the ****ing mouthful that is Sturgian Heroic Line Breaker. Wtf.

And the Spear Troops lost the Eastern Polesword and got a spear. Maybe in a way to push the Line Breaker :xf-wink:

Nevertheless I would really appreciate it if the design team or balance team would revisit the look of the troops.

And the Spear Troops lost the Eastern Polesword and got a spear. Maybe in a way to push the Line Breaker :xf-wink:

Nevertheless I would really appreciate it if the design team or balance team would revisit the look of the troops.
Wait... you mean the Shock Troops have lost their Warrazor? **** me this is even worse than I imagined.

Banner Knight's now have a tier 1 green hood LOL? What in the hell are they doing?

This is the case since day 1.

I'm having difficulty thinking of any I like the look of, so which ones do you like?

I like how bannerkignths got their old armor again because they wearing a northern brigandine, armor better than any other vlandian lord armor was a totally nonsense.

The only changes I just dislike is Sturgian Druzhinnik style and I think that Vlandian cavalry should get back their normand style helmed. Everything else looks ok, immersive and accurate for me.

ev
This is the case since day 1.

I like how bannerkignths got their old armor again because they wearing a northern brigandine, armor better than any other vlandian lord armor was a totally nonsense.

The only changes I just dislike is Sturgian Druzhinnik style and I think that Vlandian cavalry should get back their normand style helmed. Everything else looks ok, immersive and accurate for me.
everyone has their favorite troops tree, and when it goes into the way we don't want, all the others are ok but only your favorite is not. Mine is aserai mamluk heavy cav, they look ugly now the others are ok for me
i think they should give us an option to customize troops

Last edited:
Khuzait Khan's Guard wear northern lamellar shoulder armor now DESPITE Khuzaits already have the exact same version with eastern colour tone. What was the point? And they don't wear those badass Kipcak war masks anymore.

Somehow Imperial lamellar plate shoulder, gauntlet and boots pieces protect less than those ****ty looking Battanian warlord armour too.

This is just terrible. Whose idea was this?

These new troop designs look awful. Don't really understand why this has happened after the community has given TaleWorlds many good suggestions for troop aesthetics. Hopefully they're still a wip.

option to customize troops armor will make everyone happy, im sure

You can do this simply using a mod, isn't that hard to do. But I really would like to see a nice visually pleasing look for all the troops. Giving each kingdom and army a special look. In my humble opinion just switching some colors and using more or less the same armor for Sturgians and Aserai is a little bit boring. I do not have anything against using some parts from other cultures, for example the Highland Gloves for Sturgian troops, as they are rather neutral, just some leather gloves with fur. But using armor types that are not really typical for the other cultures is a bit jarring.

IMHO the Vlandian Banner Knights should just use the Western Hood instead of the Green Hood. Would be more aesthetically pleasing. The equipment of each unit should match culture and also color wise.

Sergants have better helmet than banner knight lmao. Don't even understand what they are doing
I suspect they're experimenting with some ways of rebalancing troop stats (and giving Sturgia a boost, as it suffers on the campaign) but haven't got new artwork to support it all yet.

I think that Vlandian cavalry should get back their normand style helmed. Everything else looks ok, immersive and accurate for me.
Funny, I think that helmet was absolutely atrocious. The way the visor is bolted on makes it look like some post apoc scavenger made it in a scrapyard, and the general shape doesn't even look right. That, and it doesn't even have any historical basis, so its just awful.

Thank f*ck for mod tools and modders though. With beauties like these, there's no way I ever want to go back to vanilla troops.

Back
Top Bottom