Tribute system is pretty stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

Tzei-em

Recruit
Tributes for wanting peace seem to get more and more outrageous towards end game. I have around 120 hours in my campaign now and my kingdom has conquered pretty much everything apart from Vlandia and a few fiefs from Khuzait. Battania, Azerai and Sturgia are still scraping by as well, but they don't have any fiefs left. All of them like to declare war on me and usually I just declare peace right away because I want to focus on 1 or 2 enemies at once, but what used to be hundreds or a couple of thousands of tribute, Vlandia wants 65k tribute every day for peace...

But that's not even the thing that really bothers me. What I really hate is that even though my kingdom is doing great in the war, I have caused much more casualties to enemy X than they to me, I have captured their fiefs but they haven't captured mine, I have like 40 prisoners to their 1-2 and I have like 20 successful raids against their 0-2. And yet if I want peace, it's my kingdom that has to pay a daily tribute to them. What gives?

honestly it has always been broken. the man issue come from the fact that the AI seems to treats tribute like a trade deal. for example, let's say the AI wants to make peace with you, offering to pay you money in tribute. however, if you were to then take a castle/town from it, because the AI treats it like a trade, it will subtracts the money it would get from said settlement from the tribute so that the amount of money it its offering is now negative. the AI will now want YOU to pay tribute . it dumb to say the least.

Vlandia wants 65k tribute every day for peace...
Wow do you vassals vote for that? Last time I did a full playthrough was 1.6.5 and I don't think my vassals would try to go for anything like that. It was some times nominal ( like 200 denars) peace agreements with the ruined factions or tribute received from in tacked kingdoms. If they're voting for such expensive peace then I think that's a problem. I already don't like vassals voting for peace because they don't understand understand mechanics or strategy like the player, such as if I have the entire faction prisoner there's no reason to make peace and if we do the enemy will just attack ASAP again. However to me it seemed there's a threshold where you faction is so strong that nobody want peace anymore, your vassals or your enemies, this happened when there were about 2 factions left, the rest all being completely de-fiefed.

Is there a way to literally capture everyome? If not, could you execute everyone and basically win or will enemy lords just respawn to take the place of the executed prisoners?

I agree that the war declarations in the late game is incessant and almost punitive.
That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the tribute itself.

Is there a way to literally capture everyome? If not, could you execute everyone and basically win or will enemy lords just respawn to take the place of the executed prisoners?

I've found that to be the only viable strategy since 1.0 which is probably why I tend to quit after a few hours. Mid to late game is just boring.

I don't think you can hold everyone at once, but with the perks keen sight and mounted patrols on you character you can round up several factions worth (depending of you part size) and hold them forever. Some governors can be set up (maybe) to have very low escape chance in a town too, though I don't know how easy it is to get all the perks on one governor. And yeah, executing everyone will clear the map, whenever a the last lord of a faction is executed all the fiefs together are given to another faction, keep it up and yeah.... sooner latter the game has to give everything to you/your faction. It's an all in strat though, you don't want to just kill a few lords and tank relations all over.

I really agree. Diplomacy management is still ridiculous in the game and the tribute are a part of it.

When I'm at war with someone, I can have 23 prisonners while they have 0. I can have taken 3 castles and 1 town while they didn't take any of mine.
I can have killed 10K soldiers while they have killed 2k... I can have 10k power while they only have 1000 left... And sometimes I still have to pay them for peace...

Oh sometimes they could agree to give me 1500 gold / day but if I'm waiting 2 days during which nothing happen... A peace could cost me gold...
There's absolutely nothing that make sense in the system.

We should at least be able to negociate (castles, cities, prisonners,tribute,...) and create real alliance / non agression pact and so on.

Last edited:
The wording of "tribute" complicates things.

In many of examples, player were wrecking the AI but not yet threating it's survivability. Therefore, since the player can't activate their "survival instict", they want compensation money.

Not "Ok ! I yield. Here, take my lunch money :sad:"

The system is kind of understandable in my view. But wording must change. We have mosquito level troop spawn rate etc. AI should survive more than one punch for intented long play.

If i seriously threatening AI's survivability or AI seriously saturated by other enemies, then the game should say "Peace agreement with tribute"

But if i only beating their @ ss, not yet threatening it's survival, then game should say "Peace agreement with compensation"

I know it's not much of a favorite thinking, but this is my view in this matter..

Cheers...

Killing all their nobles and taking their town/castles is threatening their survivability. Yet is does not change anything.

I forgot to add, thanks..

At your example, they're nobody. If they don't have money,troop,fief,noble they shouldn't want money from you. But if you're way way more powerfull them and also if you're not seriously saturated by other enemies.

If you want to peace with them on above conditions, no one should pay imo. You're too powerfull to pay money for them and they're too broke to pay anything.

Simply peace agreement but without money exchange or continuing to war are more realistic options.

TLDR; Yeah this kind of examples shouldn't occur. Needs changing. But other than that, beating hardly the AI should not enough to bot-payed heavy tributes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom