SP - General Trebuchets completely overshadow all other aspects of siege warfare

Users who are viewing this thread

I was asked to post this here instead:

The weapon descriptions imply you will need ballistas and catapults to protect your trebuchets while they fire at the wall, but in truth, a ballista or catapult will die in 1-2 volleys, long before the next weapon can finish its build. Trebuchets have a lot of health and can tank many volleys, and when it hits enemy siege catapults it kills them instantly. They easily last long enough to build more trebuchets. This allows a besieger to completely dominate an enemy's defenses, keeping all their siege equipment camped as soon as it comes up while also being very strong against walls. Then you can just move trebuchets to reserve and build other equipment for the actual battle.
I suppose this could be the intended design, but the weapon descriptions make it sound like trebuchets are not ideal for fighting enemy siege equipment and are more suited for attacking walls, while the ballista description implies it is good at fighting enemy siege equipment (it's not, it doesn't last long enough, it will die after getting 1 or 2 shots off), and the catapult description implies it's the "middle-ground" weapon that works okay against both walls and siege equipment. But the truth is the trebuchet is vastly superior in every way because of its obscene damage and health.
In addition, there seems to be nothing an enemy stronghold can do to resist a trebuchet in any way. I built one while the enemy had 4 catapults up and it almost won the fight completely on its own. By the time the second trebuchet popped up, the fight was over. All enemy siege engines were being camped and the walls were shredded.

By comparison, I built 20+ ballistas in a row and they could never secure any kind of foothold. Even when they spread damage out (the catapults never healed, and so repeated ballista strikes over time managed to kill 2 catapults off at close to the same time) they could not provide enough damage to siege equipment to get a second ballista up at the same time. Catapults provided a similar experience to ballistas, but slower.

Maybe I should be building ballistas and instantly putting them in reserve so that I can pop them out together or something, but why bother when a single trebuchet will turn the tide on its own?

For actually breaking down the walls you are correct, but for the battle catapults are amazing. Their dispersed impact is huge and can easily kill ten units in one shot if they are reasonably clumped up.

For actually breaking down the walls you are correct, but for the battle catapults are amazing. Their dispersed impact is huge and can easily kill ten units in one shot if they are reasonably clumped up.
Yes, I am talking about specifically siege warfare on the campaign map, and the descriptions given to each weapon there. I should have clarified, thank you.

Trebuchet were really effective historical siege engines. This is why in game they made them slow to build compared to the other engines.

Back
Top Bottom