SP - Battles & Sieges Trebuchets are far too strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello there,
This is an issue I have only on the pre-siege scene, when the attacking army and the defending town/castle hurl boulders at each other.
I think that the strength of the trebuchets against other siege machines is far too OP. They literally one shot enemy catapults and that makes the latter an undesirable option, esp the fire catapults. I think that trebuchets should either be nerfed as to how much damage they deal to enemy siege engines, or should be a lot more inacurate. Otherwise fire engines, like fire balistas and fire onagers, will be rendered useless, and as far as I understand, they are the main source and means of destroying the enemy siege engines. Fire balistas right now are not very useful, and the same can be said for the fire onager. The regular onager is once again very useful, esp for defenders (since the last patches!) as it is the best anti-infantry tool in the game. However the trebuchets get rid of these easily, before the battle even starts. As far as I know, the trebuchets main strength should be knocking down enemy walls, and that's it. They shouldn't be so strong against enemy siege engines.
This is just my opinion, and I understand that there will be all sorts of opinions on this topic. I am interested to know what everyone thinks!
Right now, the trebuchets ruin the balance of my sieges. At least make the AI build them too.

Wish you all a very Happy Holidays!
Kind Regads!
Yavor

This is just my opinion, and I understand that there will be all sorts of opinions on this topic. I am interested to know what everyone thinks!

In my opinion, balancing trebuchets by requiring a high level Engineering perk (as currently not implemented in the Engineering tree) and require a large number of tools to construct them is a better way to balance things. Even with quadruple trebs, certain towns (Sanala in year 1100, for example) are effectively impossible to breach because they build defensive siege engines so quickly you can't stop them from having a new one up by time the treb is reloaded. Other than that, it still takes a bit to build quad trebs on the map, which gives the enemy faction more than enough time to assault you with an army.

In my opinion, balancing trebuchets by requiring a high level Engineering perk (as currently not implemented in the Engineering tree) and require a large number of tools to construct them is a better way to balance things. Even with quadruple trebs, certain towns (Sanala in year 1100, for example) are effectively impossible to breach because they build defensive siege engines so quickly you can't stop them from having a new one up by time the treb is reloaded. Other than that, it still takes a bit to build quad trebs on the map, which gives the enemy faction more than enough time to assault you with an army.
I totally agree! If not for anything else, trebs should be at least hard to build, requiring high eng skill, a lot of resources, etc etc.
Yet I still think that fire siege engines should be buffed in any way, as they are pretty useless right now, for the purpose they are meant to - destroying other siege engines.
Anyway, I agree with your ideas!

while we are at it i thinkartillery in general seems to have a too high radius when hitting something and the projectiles (of the catapult i havent seen a trebuchet close up yet) are a bit too big as far as i know

Back
Top Bottom