Transfer: M&B Repository -> M&B Nexus

Users who are viewing this thread

People making mod lists ("collections") would earn money at the expense of modders, simply by being allowed to do so. Many players don't see past the often trivial work of modpack makers and they don't read the credits that list the modders who did the actual work. For them the modpack makers are the people that are helping them and deserve their donations.
The modders are offered more downloads as a consolation and "donation points" per download paid by Nexus (at unknown rates? probably peanuts at least after the initial roll-out).
The pimps will prosper again at the expense of programmers and artists.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I have never been a fan of the (ad-ridden) Nexus.

These sites have always leeched off from our work, the difference was that at least on ModDB we had full control over our project profile, as a team with a hierarchy, unlimited-unregistered no-wait downloads, news posts and galleries. Using it as a styled website and all-encompassing hub for your community.

--

I don't think the whole deletion-prevention thing is enforceable. If someone emails your GDPR DPO asking the Nexus to delete all her stuff, and you don't... Well, then that site is going to get in trouble, and fined. I believe.

The fact that the Nexus guys were quick this time around lobbying and opening a Bannerlord section super early to get the bulk of the sequel community onboard means that they smell business from a mile away, because for Warband it didn't totally caught on. Thankfully.

But yeah, in any case this is a bit like treating mods as forced disposable Lego pieces of preassembled kits someone made in an afternoon, and you can't do anything to control it creatively. So that the first thing someone searching for The Last Days gets from their one-click installer is the "Ultimate LotR modpack (ePiC) (muSt-havE!!) ツ" and comes with a badly ripped movie soundtrack, spider mounts and a purchasable flaming Anduril item. Well, you are screwed.

I don't think most of us mind submods, as long as they are their own separate thing. Going in this direction blurs the lines, deemphasizes the authors by adding an indirection layer, and we can't do anything about it.

--

The only positive thing is that at least in 2021 we have a lot of alternatives if you need to host big files. While these sites come in handy for promotion and discovery, you don't need them anymore.

Back in the day bandwidth (and space) was expensive. Now you can open a GitHub or Bitbucket repo and post a release with a direct link that gets hosted at Amazon AWS for free.

I have my qualms about places like the Steam Workshop (Valve still hasn't implemented a way of changing authorship/account/editing descriptions without recreating the item and losing everything, and the TaleWorlds uploader program is still broken) and Mod.io, but at least the poster wields some kind of control.

--

So yeah, I think we as modders are tired of always getting the short end of the stick; you spend ten years working on something coherent out of love or pride, and then at the end of the day the base game developer gets its share, the clickbaity YouTubers/variety streamers that play it (adding your funny commentary on top is "content" "creation", sure) get monetized and the ad-ridden file hosters reap the benefits. In exchange you get some exposure, experience, the sword of Damocles of copyright infringement (in case you get featured in Kotaku get ready for your complementary DMCA takedown request), bug reports, some mean comment in Polish from someone downloading a version from three years ago from a different site you didn't even know about, and little respect for your work.

Perfect business. A bit tongue in cheek, but that's what I think, at least.

If Nexus were more credible, it would announce such an important message at a longer notice. This way many users might not act soon (the summer holidays are around the corner), thereby becoming trapped with no means to change their decisions.

The procedure is also disingenuous; long, manual, full of red tape, all-or-nothing and made to minimize the amount of deletion requests:

Here’s an overview of the deletion requesting process:
  • Until 5 August 2021 (10:00 AM BST), you may request all of your files to be deleted permanently from our services. Requests received until that date will be processed even after the deadline has expired.
  • In order to streamline the process you may only request to have all of your files deleted (all or nothing).
  • We will only be processing deletion requests based on this template sent to [email protected].
  • We can only honour deletion requests sent from the email attached to your account.
  • To fully process the deletion: after receiving your email, we will send you a personal message on our site/forums to confirm the deletion and you will need to respond to it before the deadline expires.
  • The announced changes to file deletions i.e. the introduction of file archiving remain active.
  • Should you not request a full deletion of your files until the designated deadline, you accept that going forward your files will only be deleted at the discretion of staff.
  • You accept that new files uploaded to our services after the designated deadline will only be deleted at the discretion of staff.
  • The option to archive your files at any time is not affected by this.
  • The status of your Nexus Mods account will not be affected either way i.e. your account is not going to be deleted or suspended whether you request a deletion of your files or not, unless you specifically request it.

They are intentionally obfuscating and stalling in bad faith. But then you see reddit threads like this one painting modders in a bad light because we go against the grain, and the poor users want convenience; they want it all, want it now and want it free. The moment the mod creators' and players' needs stop aligning they throw us under the bus. Super fun.

So far I have avoided Nexus as much as I could. If this is the kind of site you want for Bannerlord mods, good luck.

...I think biggest problem on nexus is about stolen contents...
...ModDB have often show to take care about issue caused by modders and in few case they shout down mods pages...
...never find any help from Nexus about that kind of problem...

@Janus , with the announced changes at Nexus, which I (and others) find concerning with regard to the legal situation, would it acutally be an idea to recall all the unclaimed (so without an author getting it reassigned to him/herself) MBRepository files at the Nexus, so that they are deleted from the Nexus?

The initial purpose was to lift up the high data traffic at the old MBRepository which is not given anymore I think. The old files are hardly getting called up anymore and should thus not cause a lot of traffic anymore. Keeping up the alternative download at the Nexus is therefore not really needed anymore in my opinion. Additionally we have files which got updated at the MBRepository after the Nexus upload (since updates are still possible there) so some files at the Nexus are outdated anyway. Not to forget that we have often enough problems with old Nexus links because they have changed their link structure without an automatic redirection. All in all there is less use in keeping the Nexus duplicates up while we reduce the problems we have and could get by letting them be.

In total there are roughly 2190 M&B files affected by this, at which the author is still listed to be the sitebot, making up slightly more than two third of all M&B related files (excluding Bannerlord). I would find it to be the best choice to pull them out there and let them be deleted.

Last edited:
@Janus , with the announced changes at Nexus, which I (and others) find concerning with regard to the legal situation, would it acutally be an idea to recall all the unclaimed (so without an author getting it reassigned to him/herself) MBRepository files at the Nexus, so that they are deleted from the Nexus?
You want me to try to claim all of those files on the Nexus myself? I'm not sure I see a good reason to do that. If the uploaders/authors of those files were concerned, they could do that themselves. While I'm not particularly a fan of what the Nexus is doing, I also wouldn't want to make the decision for other people of deleting their files from the Nexus just because they never bothered claiming the files.

Last edited:
Well, in some way it was also you who made the decision that it is fine that most files are geting ported to the Nexus without permission of each individual uploader (iirc one has had to opt out if one didn't want it to happen), and you who have been in contact with the Nexus guy at that time. Now claiming that you don't want to make decisions for other people's files sounds a bit like a lame excuse in front of that background.

If it is the amount of work which lets you shy away, I can also invest the time myself. I expect however that they might also want to get in contact with you as their former contact at that topic.

Edit:
One wouldn't need to claim it first in my opinion, just request the deletion of them. This here is the sitebot account which "owns" all the MBRepository files, so one wouldn't even need to list them all up one by one:

Last edited:
Well, in some way it was also you who made the decision that it is fine that most files are geting ported to the Nexus without permission of each individual uploader (iirc one has had to opt out if one didn't want it to happen), and you who have been in contact with the Nexus guy at that time. Now claiming that you don't want to make decisions for other people's files sounds a bit like a lame excuse in front of that background.

If it is the amount of work which lets you shy away, I can also invest the time myself. I expect however that they might also want to get in contact with you as their former contact at that topic.
And at that time there were almost no complaints, and there was plenty of discussion. And those who didn't want their files on the Nexus of course had the opportunity to claim and remove those files from the Nexus as the authors of those files, as they have in all the years since then.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I disagree, and I have made my decision.

Back
Top Bottom