traits

Users who are viewing this thread

RozBritanicus

Sergeant
There are a lot more Personality traits in the game code, but the following are the only ones which currently can be found on characters:

• Cerebral (Calculating 2)
  • Calculating (Calculating 1)
  • Impulsive (Calculating -1)
  • Munificent (Generosity 2)
  • Generous (Generosity 1)
  • Closefisted (Generosity -1)
  • Honorable (Honor 2)
  • Honest (Honor 1)
  • Devious (Honor -1)
  • Deceitful (Honor -2)
  • Compassionate (Mercy 2)
  • Merciful (Mercy 1)
  • Cruel (Mercy -1)
  • Sadistic (Mercy -2)
  • Fearless (Valor 2)
  • Daring (Valor 1)
  • Cautious (Valor -1)
  • What do they do ?
  • Do they have a point?
  • Do the npc's act as the traits they have?

There are a lot more Personality traits in the game code, but the following are the only ones which currently can be found on characters:

• Honorable (Honor 2)
  • Honest (Honor 1)
  • Devious (Honor -1)
  • Deceitful (Honor -2)
  • Merciful (Mercy 1)
  • Cruel (Mercy -1)
  • Sadistic (Mercy -2)
  • Fearless (Valor 2)
  • Daring (Valor 1)
  • Cautious (Valor -1)
  • What do they do ?
  • Do they have a point?
I do think they have an impact on the type of troops Lords have, notice the excessively annoying amount of archers we have since patch 1.8.0
that's about it iirc

There are some effects based on their traits, outside of lines of dialogue being different. For instance - if you take a settlement as an army leader, you'll need to spend some influence in order to show mercy to the populace if you have cruel lords in your army, and they'll still take a bit of a relations hit with you.

There are some effects based on their traits, outside of lines of dialogue being different. For instance - if you take a settlement as an army leader, you'll need to spend some influence in order to show mercy to the populace if you have cruel lords in your army, and they'll still take a bit of a relations hit with you.
I see but there dose an evil lord do the wring thing then ? like wipe out a village more likely to execute . The traits are put across so weakly i don't see the effect. So its all influence based them ?

• Honorable (Honor 2)
  • Honest (Honor 1)
  • Devious (Honor -1)
  • Deceitful (Honor -2)
  • Merciful (Mercy 1)
  • Cruel (Mercy -1)
  • Sadistic (Mercy -2)
  • Fearless (Valor 2)
  • Daring (Valor 1)
  • Cautious (Valor -1)
  • What do they do ?
  • Do they have a point?
I think they have impact on you and your persuasion chance. For example if enemy lord is cruel and you are cruel, you get some boost to succeeding, but would need to do some tests.

I think they have impact on you and your persuasion chance. For example if enemy lord is cruel and you are cruel, you get some boost to succeeding, but would need to do some tests.
I will have a look . Warbands system seems better and and less of a mess. but things may change . I keep telling myself its in early access . But everything apart from perks, combat, trade, smithing (which i don't like stupid feature) as been left and forgotten or so it seems.

Traits have impact, but limited. When dissuading a clan leader, your traits and theirs make an impact and change the dialogue.

A notorious example is Valor, if you have Valor and want to convince a noble with Valor to join your side, he will give you a special dialogue option on Valor that is double hit and 100%.

Greed also affects the amount of money you must give as compensation to convince him.

Your mercy or cruelty in a siege can make or break relationship with the participating nobles. If you want to have 100 relationship with your clan members for example, make sure everyone is merciful, invite them to conquer a fief with their own party and by having mercy they will love you.

Your suitor's traits will affect her dialogues to convince her to marry you.

Also, when starting the game, if you make a character that is initially honorable, merciful, and generous, with the last option of character creation, where you choose to "treat people well". You can see that with some nobles, notables and companions, you will have a relationship start -2, that is to say that initially they already have an opinion of you for being or not compatible with them.

Unfortunately, at a general level, the traits do almost nothing because the game does not have mechanics to take advantage of them. The only use I've seen so far was that when you raid a village and a merciful companion is present, he will talk to you and you can promise not to do it anymore and become friends or insult him and hate him, but it doesn't lead to anything either, he won't desert or something like that.

Traits have impact, but limited. When dissuading a clan leader, your traits and theirs make an impact and change the dialogue.

A notorious example is Valor, if you have Valor and want to convince a noble with Valor to join your side, he will give you a special dialogue option on Valor that is double hit and 100%.

Greed also affects the amount of money you must give as compensation to convince him.

Your mercy or cruelty in a siege can make or break relationship with the participating nobles. If you want to have 100 relationship with your clan members for example, make sure everyone is merciful, invite them to conquer a fief with their own party and by having mercy they will love you.

Your suitor's traits will affect her dialogues to convince her to marry you.

Also, when starting the game, if you make a character that is initially honorable, merciful, and generous, with the last option of character creation, where you choose to "treat people well". You can see that with some nobles, notables and companions, you will have a relationship start -2, that is to say that initially they already have an opinion of you for being or not compatible with them.

Unfortunately, at a general level, the traits do almost nothing because the game does not have mechanics to take advantage of them. The only use I've seen so far was that when you raid a village and a merciful companion is present, he will talk to you and you can promise not to do it anymore and become friends or insult him and hate him, but it doesn't lead to anything either, he won't desert or something like that.
Correct. Traits have no effect on Lord AI, just +2/-2 relations at various points and bonus/penalty to persuasion minigame chances for specific options. The latter is effectively pointless if you savescum through romances etc.

Also - don't quote me - but I believe that Honorable lords of all factions will be upset if you execute any lords that aren't themselves Dishonorable. That last part might have been a mod but I'm pretty sure not. Needs more murder testing.

And the names of the traits are somewhat of a misnomer: Honor is how well you treat nobles and rich merchants (gained by successfully completing quests). (EDIT: executing a ?non-dishonorable? noble loses you about as much Honor as failing 20-50 quests)

Mercy is how well you treat commoners (gained by specific options of specific quests- maybe by being merciful in sieges though I've seen no hard proof of that). (EDIT: also lost by raiding villages)

Generosity is how well you feed your troops (this is why you'll often lose Generosity 1 at game start because you take a massive hit for starving YOURSELF on the walk to the nearest village).

Valor is gained by winning when greatly outnumbered and lost by sacrificing troops to run away. It is effectively impossible to level if you're playing on realistic difficulty and aren't using exploits.

Calculating is ONLY gained by convincing clans to join your faction. That's it. And, since you need to persuade 50 clans to level it up once, it's virtually impossible to do so. It doesn't appear that there's anything that lowers Calculating to give you Emotional. (EDIT: it is also supposed to be gained by jailbreaking nobles but I've seen no evidence that it does)

Last edited:
  • This is what i would do with the traits off the top of my head, here goes
  • Cerebral (Calculating 2) Add skill Teachers to the game that add a small amount of exp to the skill after certain amount of Teachers you get this trait (this would help an hire after your main dies) costs gold and influence
  • Calculating (Calculating 1)Add skill books to the game that add a small amount of exp to the skill after a certain amount of books you get this trait. (this would help an hire after your main dies) this would cost gold.
  • Impulsive (Calculating -1) steal books or threaten teachers to get skills. you get this trait.
  • Munificent (Generosity 2) you have given over a miilion gold away to help others . greatly increase chance of support and villages relations always high.
  • Generous (Generosity 1) You give money to the poor and other nobles when asked for help . This would increase the chance of support.
  • Closefisted (Generosity -1) when asked you never give money aid to anyone. maybe a slight gold boost per month.
  • Honorable (Honor 2) you have reached a point where the king of you clan trust you so much influence cost is reduced to single numbers for anything in the faction Armies you lead them laws you make them. he will very marry his daughter/son to you. if your king no one will defect from your faction. Unless they are Deceitful
  • Honest (Honor 1) you always honor your quests and use emissaries to increase you clan relations with other clan this would cost influence and gold. I questioned your always honest.
  • Devious (Honor -1) you take money never complete quests lol. you can hire spies to slander other lords. lowering there power and influence. making harder for them buy increasing influence costs.
  • Deceitful (Honor -2) you now have access to assassins ( it cost influence and lots of gold ) this would work like this for the player our you enter a village or city you enter a scene just out side those places and fight for you life ( very high increased death chance ) it would place out like the last round in the arena battle one v one . if you win you have a small chance to find out who sent them and you can tell the king. this could lead to a duel with the person who hired them unless they have enough influence and gold you bribe the judge.
  • Compassionate (Mercy 2) you have let all captives go you have never taken a prisoner. World relation bonus with every one you talk too . 500 releases.
  • Merciful (Mercy 1) you let captives go after so many you get this trait.
  • Cruel (Mercy -1) you punish ( torcher) captives adding a face scar . you can take there gear. after so many you get this trait.
  • Sadistic (Mercy -2) you can now execute your captives or punish them.
  • Fearless (Valor 2) you have won 100 duels and now you can offer duels to other enemy nobles.
  • Daring (Valor 1) You fight battles when out numbered and fight duels ( duels have increased chance of death ) after so many you get this trait.
  • Cautious (Valor -1) you always pay for freedom for yourself and other clan members never try to escape or do a prison break . you back down from every offer of a duel. after soon many you get this trait ( coward ).

That's off the top of my head took 30mins and uses gold and influence. also the npc's could use these rules , more things would be happening in the world of calradia then deaths and pregnancys and would add fun to the game as you try and achieve these traits that matter. As it stands traits are rubbish pointless fancy rapping paper.

• This is what i would do with the traits off the top of my head, here goes
  • Cerebral (Calculating 2) Add skill Teachers to the game that add a small amount of exp to the skill after certain amount of Teachers you get this trait (this would help an hire after your main dies) costs gold and influence
  • Calculating (Calculating 1)Add skill books to the game that add a small amount of exp to the skill after a certain amount of books you get this trait. (this would help an hire after your main dies) this would cost gold.
  • Impulsive (Calculating -1) steal books or threaten teachers to get skills. you get this trait.
  • Munificent (Generosity 2) you have given over a miilion gold away to help others . greatly increase chance of support and villages relations always high.
  • Generous (Generosity 1) You give money to the poor and other nobles when asked for help . This would increase the chance of support.
  • Closefisted (Generosity -1) when asked you never give money aid to anyone. maybe a slight gold boost per month.
  • Honorable (Honor 2) you have reached a point where the king of you clan trust you so much influence cost is reduced to single numbers for anything in the faction Armies you lead them laws you make them. he will very marry his daughter/son to you. if your king no one will defect from your faction. Unless they are Deceitful
  • Honest (Honor 1) you always honor your quests and use emissaries to increase you clan relations with other clan this would cost influence and gold. I questioned your always honest.
  • Devious (Honor -1) you take money never complete quests lol. you can hire spies to slander other lords. lowering there power and influence. making harder for them buy increasing influence costs.
  • Deceitful (Honor -2) you now have access to assassins ( it cost influence and lots of gold ) this would work like this for the player our you enter a village or city you enter a scene just out side those places and fight for you life ( very high increased death chance ) it would place out like the last round in the arena battle one v one . if you win you have a small chance to find out who sent them and you can tell the king. this could lead to a duel with the person who hired them unless they have enough influence and gold you bribe the judge.
  • Compassionate (Mercy 2) you have let all captives go you have never taken a prisoner. World relation bonus with every one you talk too . 500 releases.
  • Merciful (Mercy 1) you let captives go after so many you get this trait.
  • Cruel (Mercy -1) you punish ( torcher) captives adding a face scar . you can take there gear. after so many you get this trait.
  • Sadistic (Mercy -2) you can now execute your captives or punish them.
  • Fearless (Valor 2) you have won 100 duels and now you can offer duels to other enemy nobles.
  • Daring (Valor 1) You fight battles when out numbered and fight duels ( duels have increased chance of death ) after so many you get this trait.
  • Cautious (Valor -1) you always pay for freedom for yourself and other clan members never try to escape or do a prison break . you back down from every offer of a duel. after soon many you get this trait ( coward ).

That's off the top of my head took 30mins and uses gold and influence. also the npc's could use these rules , more things would be happening in the world of calradia then deaths and pregnancys and would add fun to the game as you try and achieve these traits that matter. As it stands traits are rubbish pointless fancy rapping paper.
LOL that's very extensive but I'd just like the normal **** to work the way it implies that it should.

Cruel lords should raid villages. Merciful lords should spare towns.

Dishonorable lords should execute captured lords AND get executed by non-dishonorable lords. Honorable lords should let more people go without capturing them "Grant me the honors of war and do yourself credit." Honorable lords should be MUCH more difficult to convince to switch sides and vice versa (like it was in MB!!!).

Valorous lords should fight even when outnumbered. Cowardly lords should surrender with their armies intact. Hell... Lords should surrender EVER.

Generous lords should trade more fairly and be more resistant to bribery. Greedy lords should trade unfairly and be easier to persuade to your faction with money.

Emotional lords should double their relation gain or loss... calculating lords should halve it.

It's really sad that even basic **** like this doesn't exist in BL.

LOL that's very extensive but I'd just like the normal **** to work the way it implies that it should.

Cruel lords should raid villages. Merciful lords should spare towns.

Dishonorable lords should execute captured lords AND get executed by non-dishonorable lords. Honorable lords should let more people go without capturing them "Grant me the honors of war and do yourself credit." Honorable lords should be MUCH more difficult to convince to switch sides and vice versa (like it was in MB!!!).

Valorous lords should fight even when outnumbered. Cowardly lords should surrender with their armies intact. Hell... Lords should surrender EVER.

Generous lords should trade more fairly and be more resistant to bribery. Greedy lords should trade unfairly and be easier to persuade to your faction with money.

Emotional lords should double their relation gain or loss... calculating lords should halve it.

It's really sad that even basic **** like this doesn't exist in BL.
Completely agree with your sight of the traits.

Devious / cruel lords : raiding villages, attacking caravans, villagers / can be executed without any/or with minor penalty (only with this lord's clan for example, and minor penalty with his faction, no penalty with other factions).
Good / mercyful / honorable lords : no village raiding, no villagers nor caravans attack (they don't attack civilians, merchants).

And yes, looks relatively basic.

Back
Top Bottom