Resolved Traits from character creation randomly disappearing/Trait system frustration

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: So I've seen some reddit posts about the trait system appearing to be broken so I figured I'd make a post to see if we can shed some light on things. The trait system itself is rather confusing from the start, granted... I MIGHT just be clueless and I MIGHT have missed some dev diary explanation on the intricacies of the trait system and what does what and how to get what.... but barring that I still think there's enough of us out there that need clarification. All other earnable stats have some form of progression to next level etc. Trait gain points are invisible so you can't tell if your actions are having any meaningful impact... or which actions have the most impact... or heck even which actions increase/decrease which traits. The only one that's clear is executing literally anyone (even if its an evil character that's been pillaging your fiefs like crazy) is VERY likely to make you dishonorable.
I think some of the confusion is largely based on how there's minimal transparency in to the trait progression system. Which is unfortunate because I've seen that a super high Trait (lvl 2) that's shared with a lord or lady you're trying to persuade SIGNIFICANTLY improves persuasion chance. Also, it's entirely unclear if your actions can effect party members traits or not (like a trickle down of being with a good leader, you pick up some of their behaviors... and vice versa)

How to Reproduce: Upon character creation pick literally any option that grants you a trait. Cunning? Your "is ambitious" description will go away by the end of the first in game year, usually sooner. Valor? Randomly disappears after field battles. Sometimes it goes away when you're outmanned. Sometimes when you're the superior force. Sometimes it just disappears on its own. Regardless by the end of the first year it's usually gone. Good with people option that gives your Merciful, Generous, and Honest? This has the longest staying power. But only if you keep releasing lords after battles. Otherwise, if you capture 2-3 some of the traits disappear which doesn't exactly seem justified. Tactically it makes sense to hold them for at least a little while, ESPECIALLY if you captured them after them trying to raid your own or an allied fief. I would understand it if you were able to refuse ransom options like in warband you'd lose the traits/lose points in the trait... but you can't refuse to ransom. The game auto-ransoms them for you after they meet whatever requirements there are for it... or you can ransom them immediately via the slave trader/ransom broker. So it doesn't make sense as to why that should immediately tank some of your traits.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): Not related
Media (Screenshots & Video): Not necessary
Version: ALL VERSIONS OF THE GAME SINCE RELEASE
Installed community-made modifications: Issue occurs with or without mods
Computer Specs: Irrelevant
GPU:Irrelevant
CPU:Irrelevant
RAM:Irrelevant
Motherboard:Irrelevant
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Irrelevant

I have been informed that this issue is fixed on our development branch and the fix will be implemented with the upcoming patches. Thanks for reporting!

It is fixed on the beta currently available on Steam at least. Requires a new playthrough to kick in, though - apparently part of the problem was assigning labels without underlying values, so old saves will not be fixed even if the disappearance did not yet occur

Back
Top Bottom