Traits feature overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Quintillius said:
Traits are ver dynamic so it can get better or worse. Make sure your food variety is over 70 (see morale report).

And yeah, I didn't realise soon enough that I should have revised the trait's txts as well. But no worries, I'll change all and make a savegame compatible update. All issues till now can be easily fixed.

Also if beaty - ugly depends on your gear, your bound to get ugly since you are a poor bugger.
But I also want to keep bad traits in the game, somehow the player should have a balance between bad/good traits. Any improvement ideas?

Well if its dynamic and can change from worse to good then no issue really besides the name.

Bad stuff happens and its part of the game.

Would have been a major issue if you were locked into one trait but as its not all is fine i would say.  :razz:

Have you looked at the way the trait system works in Silverstag? every five levels you pick a trait from the trait list depending on your Character build, e.g. a Merchant has some very useful perks such as Wholesaler which makes buying/selling good profitable by negating the devaluation of goods when you buy multiple items (dependent on trade skill)

I indeed strongly advise you to take a look at Silverstag's module system. The enhancements in battles in particular are just perfect. The system of traits is really polished and interesting. Depending on the complexity of your module system, it could be really easy to merge those two mods. I had the occasion to work on silverstag's module system and it was really clear (every single feature is detailed and isolated from other features, which is really fine as you always know what you are implementing).

Your companions have an interest : put them into divisions so they lead their group and give them bonuses according to the effects of their traits, such as volley commander, which enhances precision of nearby troops.

The system of endurance and sprint is really good and does not feel frustrating. I dislike the OSP by Chel, as I feel that the player gets a bonus he should not have comparing to other troops.

Honestly, those features are the ones I feel really lacking in Nova Aetas. Silverstag is Open Source, and Windyplains was looking forward for somebody to eenhance his code.

. Silverstag is Open Source
:cool:

Though, importing Silverstag's traits will make the next update not savegame compatible. So for the coming week I want to fix all issues reported and release a savegame compatible patch or I might just do a reupload.

Besides, I agree with you, games shouldn't add 'frustrating' elements to the game. So I'll take a look, definitely.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi4aueapkh3p8vr/Nova%20Aetas%20-%20v5.0%20-%20hotfix%20traits.rar?dl=0

This is file that should fix the traits, is there anyone here willing to test? It fixes some miscalculations for the trait chances (beauty & health traits).
It is savegame compatible, but won't do anything when having bad traits already. There's still a small chance to get it, but it should definitely not appear within three weeks.
A lord claiming a colony has a 7% chance to occur weekly, the beauty/health traits 2% (not accurate though).

If you use it for a savegame, make a backup and keep checking for three weeks if:
- No strange texts appear for dialogues
- Prestige /renown numbers are correct
- Class is correct
- Lord parties don't have strange troops

(just to be sure,  :iamamoron:)

Quintillius said:
. Silverstag is Open Source
:cool:

Though, importing Silverstag's traits will make the next update not savegame compatible. So for the coming week I want to fix all issues reported and release a savegame compatible patch or I might just do a reupload.

Besides, I agree with you, games shouldn't add 'frustrating' elements to the game. So I'll take a look, definitely.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi4aueapkh3p8vr/Nova%20Aetas%20-%20v5.0%20-%20hotfix%20traits.rar?dl=0

This is file that should fix the traits, is there anyone here willing to test? It fixes some miscalculations for the trait chances (beauty & health traits).
It is savegame compatible, but won't do anything when having bad traits already. There's still a small chance to get it, but it should definitely not appear within three weeks.
A lord claiming a colony has a 7% chance to occur weekly, the beauty/health traits 2% (not accurate though).

If you use it for a savegame, make a backup and keep checking for three weeks if:
- No strange texts appear for dialogues
- Prestige /renown numbers are correct
- Class is correct
- Lord parties don't have strange troops

(just to be sure,  :iamamoron:)

I'm going to have a look at this now :smile:

I thought the slim trait was supposed to be a positive?  It's listed as such in the charts you've shown, however my party suffers -2 morale each week because of it.  I'm a bit confused how I got it (if it's supposed to be a bad trait now) as I had over 80 morale in food which equates to +1 after the -70/10 equation.

EDIT 1) I don't know what you'd call it (maybe add it as a condition to Proven Commander); but if you manage to sneak behind enemy lines and take over their cannons as well as using it against them, that should be considered as a definite trait requirement. :shifty:

The only advice I have is that rude should need to be reworked. I had to ditch a character who kept getting the trait from buying supplies which is a necessary part of the game.

The White Falcon said:
I thought the slim trait was supposed to be a positive?  It's listed as such in the charts you've shown, however my party suffers -2 morale each week because of it.  I'm a bit confused how I got it (if it's supposed to be a bad trait now) as I had over 80 morale in food which equates to +1 after the -70/10 equation.

EDIT 1) I don't know what you'd call it (maybe add it as a condition to Proven Commander); but if you manage to sneak behind enemy lines and take over their cannons as well as using it against them, that should be considered as a definite trait requirement. :shifty:
Idea originally was to keep 1 positive trait only for the health type. 'Going to far' makes you slim, and thus adds a malus.
But this don't work the with the feature of traits being dependent on your actions. Thus, I'l revised the texts and bonuses. If you don't want to wait for the update, just download this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjjya8azkf1nxev/Nova%20Aetas%20v5.0%20-%20trait%20type%20health%20revision.rar?dl=0

I'll release an update soon to fix all issues reported to ensure a stable and funny gameplay. I use these weeks to gather all bug reports. The next update will be savegame compatible by the way, unless someone finds something gamebreaking  :shock:.

What type of clothing does the script deem to cause the "ugly" trait? A 500 $ nicely made peasant's tunic, or a 20,000 rusted king's armor. I don't understand? Is it the modifier or the cost?

Formula as of the latest reupload of v5.0:

(-7 + (price helmet + footwear + gloves + armor + horse) / 1000) / 2 / 10 * 7= weekly chance

If chance is negative, you might gain a bad trait. If positive, a good trait.

So if your stuff is worth 5,000, you'll have a 0,7% to get a bad trait.

The only problem I see with the trait system is that now we know that certain armors are not worth having because they will cause bad traits relative to their value. The "ugly" trait is something that bothers other players as well from what I have seen. I find it sort of impossible not to attain the ugly trait in the early game for lack of funds. I see a slight bit of linear-ness at play simply because one won't want to upgrade to intermediate armors, some of the progression of this style will be lost. I simply won't don many of the armors unless they are highly priced as I have before. 

disorganizedsockdrawer said:
Could you add an option in the camp menu to turn the trait system on/off or to add/remove traits?

I second this opinion, I love the mod and have played 100s of hours on this but it would be really nice to make it optional like flagbearers etc

Well the player starts as a smelly peasant from the lowborn people. He has cheap clothing, low-quality weapons, few skills, a small party and has bad traits.
As the player is progressing, he'll become better in everything, traits included.

There's some of my suggestions for traits :

Altruism
Affect village taxe income.

Good:
- Achieving village's quests (++)
- Trading with villages (+)
- Helping attacked villagers (+)

Bad:
- Raid villages (---)
- Stealing cattles (--)
- Force villagers to give supplies/join your party (--)

Modifiers :
++ Altruistic : +20% village income and make prosperity rising 10% faster until the average Tier
+ Selfless : +10% village income and make prosperity rising 5% faster until the average Tier
- Selfish : -10% village income. Needs 10% more time to be rebuild once raided.
- Egocentric -20% village income. Needs 20% more time to be rebuild once raided.
==============================================================
Warrior
Affect automatic battle efficiency for the player and vassals. A strong character inspire his troops and lords :>

Good:
- Winning battles with bad odds (+)
- Killstreak (killing many ennemy troops in a short amount of time) (+)
- renown (+)

Bad:
- Loosing battles with good odds (----)
- getting knocked out early on in battles (-)
- Killing/knocking off allies.

Modifiers :
++ Legendary : Auto battles for players 35% less causalities, 10% for vassals. Winning tournaments gives 100% more renown.
+ Heroic : Auto battles for players 20% less causalities, 5% for vassals. Winning tournaments gives 50% more renown.
- weak : Auto battles for players 10% more causalities, 5% for vassals. Winning tournaments gives 25% less renown.
- Fragile : Auto battles for players 20% more causalities, 10% for vassals. Winning tournaments gives 50% less renown.

Quintillius said:
Thank you for your contribution. Though, you're a bit late. v5.0 is released a month ago.  :smile: But still thnx for summing up some new traits.

Could you please explain Bad Administrator trait achivment? I have no debts for kingdome or any of my cities ro my armies. In two cities I have problem with grow rate due to different rekigion and lack of structeries. Buthave any any problems with gold. I've decrease taxes to zero to get some more grow. Why I reciving Bad Administrator trait? Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom