Training units, improving your skills and campsite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe I don't know something, but is really training your units and your skills are possible only while in battle? I cannot find an option for setting a camp - in Warband it was a very good tool for training your troops. Now I think this option is gone, and the only way to train your soldiers is by fighting with an enemy like bandits, looters, sea raiders or other factions army. Of course at the start you are too weak as well as your troops, so you need to pursuit small pack of bandits... Horrible, just horrible grind and tendency.

Same goes for your skills - in Warband you could just skip fighting for any faction, and just do gladiator stuff. Every fight, no matter if it was a battle, tournament, arena challenge, or training site - could improve your weapon skill. Now it don't work anymore. The only thing that is improving your combat skills is fighting in battles.

And same conclusion as above: you are too weak at start, so you need to pursuit looters and so on. Horrible grind and tendency x2.

This kills all sandbox freedom as we know for me.

I hope there is something that I don't know, or it is a bug, or work in progress because if this is intended, then it is simply very weird and not cool decision.
I played a few hours, and right now I have mixed feelings. There are many good things and improvements, but there are many changes that I don't understand, because they simply don't have any logical sense.

I agee, apparantly we can't rest using campsite anymore.

Very true I have mixed feelingsabout the game too. But don't forget it's early access game, it is not expected to have everything fixed yet.

I agee, apparantly we can't rest using campsite anymore.

Very true I have mixed feelingsabout the game too. But don't forget it's early access game, it is not expected to have everything fixed yet.

Quite annoying that core features from the game we know and love are missing just like that, though.

Don't the skill from Leadership work ? the one that allow you to automatically up the exp. of your party daily ? I've tried it a bit but I haven't seen any effect I think, does it work for you ?

People have been saying that passive training is still in the game, but if it is I haven't noticed. I'm not getting any of the old messages saying "days training resulted in y xp" or something like that, and my troops only appear to upgrade after battles. Even then, they upgrade very slowly.

I guess they justify this because you can recruit higher-tier troops now? Personally I don't think that comes close to making up for the training nerfs.

Last edited:
Yeah, and you can lose your fresh recruits so easily, even with low level enemies, that it makes whole cycle a bit pointless.

For me this is a big downgrade from Warband, but not upgrading your own skill is even worse. I played for 8 hours, and in the end, I was surprised why I I'm still on the same level, and have low level weapon proficiency, despite the fact that I fought in the arena, many, many times, and won at least a 10 tournaments - which by the way, is now way harder than just fighting with looters or bandits, especially if you fight in finale against legionary or cataphract.

Seriously, I hope it is an EA thing. Or a bug. I think we can all agree that we need a campsite, and upgrading troops and our main characters' skills not only in battles.

Yeah, and you can lose your fresh recruits so easily, even with low level enemies, that it makes whole cycle a bit pointless.

For me this is a big downgrade from Warband, but not upgrading your own skill is even worse. I played for 8 hours, and in the end, I was surprised why I I'm still on the same level, and have low level weapon proficiency, despite the fact that I fought in the arena, many, many times, and won at least a 10 tournaments - which by the way, is now way harder than just fighting with looters or bandits, especially if you fight in finale against legionary or cataphract.

Seriously, I hope it is an EA thing. Or a bug. I think we can all agree that we need a campsite, and upgrading troops and our main characters' skills not only in battles.
I agree with you, and it should also be noted that it appears no xp is gained by fighting in tournaments, which has to be an oversight I cant see that being a logically thought out decision.

Early-game Warband training was also pretty slow; it wasn't til you and companions leveled up some and got a few points in Trainer that it really started becoming the primary way of training up troops. But yeah, it seems even slower here...like, not happening at all without that Leadership perk.

I like the format of these tournaments. And the practice arenas too, for that matter....a bit more spaced out, not such a big chaotic glom of folks. That said, I don't like the low betting rewards...it's definitely not the early/mid game moneymaker it was before. I hadn't even noticed I wasn't getting XP either. Yuck.

Yea training is reallyyyyyyy slow, tournament bets are to low. Only getting 1600 or so per tournament. Better off killing sea raiders for money. Renown and prize rewards are trash to. The arenas and such are better since not every AI targets you first

I actually like it, troops don't improve quickly, tournaments are a fun option but not like the primary way to make money. I think they did a fantastic job. - Now obviously their are some missing bits to the game but I do not think these are it. Especially if you gain reputation with some people doing quests, you can purchase higher quality troops. No Training needed just a bigger sack of coin.

Inwarband you could at least level your troops by being in battles. It seems like my recruits all die every fight. Only 2 or 3 ever survive to level up. And i cant fight anything except small bands of bandits.

Back
Top Bottom