SP Native Training Fields

Users who are viewing this thread

Training Fields

1.) Introduction
Some time ago I found this thread started by linuxman on the Taleworlds forums:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,130605.0.html
I was glad someone intended to work on the much needed realism of those training fields - especially since I never meddled with the edit mode/scene editing myself. Until two days ago.
It's not so much that I grew impatient waiting for someone else (like linuxman) to make the alterations I was looking forward to - I just found myself surprised how easy scene editing for M&B actually is (all hail to the creators of this truly great, fun and exceptionally user-friendly game!) - and started playing around a bit with the first training field...
...and, well, ended up doing them all.
Sharing this small mod before linuxman's is in no way meant to be a competition.
I'm still looking forward to linuxman's project and hope he enjoys his scene editing work as much as I did!

2.) Description
The Native training fields...
A sad case.
A poor lonely trainer, standing in the middle of nowhere.
Maybe a white line on the ground somewhere nearby...
Yay.

While I always liked the opportunity to get some weapons-, horseback- or sparring training, the empty and lifeless training fields bothered me from the start. - There's so much more potential concerning realism, immersion and last but not least FUN !
That's exactly what I hope to achieve with this small mod.
And in my eyes - I did.

I gave all of the five training fields a different character, mirroring the regions they are located in, provided different kinds of shelter for the trainers, added scenery objects and relocated entry points.

I made this for myself and decided that I do like the outcome well enough to share it with others who might consider it an enrichment too.

3.) The File
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2358

Megaupload mirror:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GLNGRLPN

4.) Installation
Couldn't be easier:
Simply copy the "scn_training_ground_ranged_melee.sco" and "scn_training_ground_horse_track.sco" files you wish to use to the "Modules\Native\SceneObj" foler.
Remember to backup the files you overwrite first.

Enjoy the new training fields!

5.) Compatibility
Created under and compatible with Warband 1.132.

Should be compatible with older versions of Warband too, but issues like missing/misplaced objects may occur. Or not.

It even works with original M&B 1.011, meaning it is playable but some objects don't appear as they should, or not at all.
It should be easy enough to modify. Though I don't plan to do it myself.

Compatible with Gutekfiutek's "Polished Landscapes" (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,122423.0.html) - which I highly recommend.
It just rocks!
Furthermore I tried to make the horseback training courses playable for "Polished Landscapes" too, by moving/removing tree obstacles where necessary.
I succeeded in most cases.
Only on the training field no. 1 horse track (between Wercheg and Reyvadin) there are some small obstacles I wasn't able to remove the easy way. But it's well enough in my eyes.

6.) Screenshots
near Praven:

before

and after

near Khudan:

before

and after

near Dhirim:

before

and after

near Shariz:

before

and after

near Wercheg:

before

and after

7.) Last words...
Free for all to use!
Please give credit, if used in mods.

cheers!

KingLuke said:
Hmm. Nice. Pics don't work though.

They do if you right-click on them and then chose to open them in a new tab or window.  :smile:
Unfortunately I don't know how to embed pictures properly...
My apologies.

Besides - the pictures don't do the mod much credit.
I think it looks much better ingame.
Feel free to give it a try!  :smile:

cheers!

lucky lancer said:
They do if you right-click on them and then chose to open them in a new tab or window.  :smile:
Unfortunately I don't know how to embed pictures properly...
My apologies.
No like, they don't show up.
Code:
[IMG]img link here....[/IMG]

Mmm... for me it works by right-clicking.

And I did that with the

KingLuke said:
You should make a user-friendly scene editing tutorial. For like, maybe me...  :razz: and other people.

I'm still a noob in this business, I fear. :grin:
I used a very nice basic tutorial I found on the net myself. Just tried to find it to post the link here, unfortunately it seems to be unavailable - maybe it's just a server issue.
But I saved the web page as a webarchive to have it at hand when I might need it.

I just uploaded it here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CFWZPA6M

Hope it helps you, too!

Saken är biffen. This goes to my download list NOW!
Really, who would have thought that with a few stationary objects you'll get the immersion meter jump to the skies?  :lol: Really nice.

TR[_]LLER said:
Saken är biffen. This goes to my download list NOW!
Really, who would have thought that with a few stationary objects you'll get the immersion meter jump to the skies?  :lol: Really nice.

Thank you very much! :grin:
Glad you like it!

cheers!

This is the kind of mods we need in this game. Mods that turn the game more realistic and "roleplaying".

wow nice!  i can hardly wait for my favourite mods to implement this! 

right now i spend almost zero time at the training fields, just long enough to grab my free 2nd level and then i never even go near a training field again.

This mod is sweet, Lancer, thank you!

And your new scenes are so cool I wish the game would load them to fight in there after being engaged in campaign map near training fields, a bit like Arch3r bridge battles (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,68264.0.html).

Nice idea, simple yet nice mod, and 110% must have.

@Derra, HunterAlpha1, Howitzer, Sir Lacy:
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!
Glad you enjoy! :smile:

@Suspicous Pilgrim:
Yes, I considered adding some company for the lonely training masters, but I fear I do lack the knowledge to do so.
I guess that could only be achieved through the module system and sadly I have no experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom