Trading in Calradia - a Merchants Guide to Profit, Listed by Commodity & Region

Users who are viewing this thread

TheMageLord

The Handyman Can
Knight at Arms
I noticed a distinct lack of a traders guide, so I decided to do a little research and write my own. This is meant as a general guide. Prices vary widely over time, but the areas that are predisposed to certain commodity prices seems to remain constant. All towns are listed left to right in order of best to worst price. Prices listed are with 10 trading, so assume a bit higher/lower if you have less trade. Also all cities are 0 relation, better relations will improve your margins.

The ordering of towns is from an average view of the 5 different save games over the course of several days each, and the top price will not always be at the listed town - it's just the town that averaged a higher price. Prices listed are in ranges, some quite broad. These are the general ranges of prices that I recorded in my testing of the towns listed.
Note that villages offer cheaper merchandise than the towns, sometimes less than 1/2 the price of towns. From my experience, the villages usually stock the same cheap good as the town they are near. For instance: Price of Oil in Suno is currently 208 in one game. The nearby village Nomar has several units of oil at a price of 111. All city's don't always have the good that they sell, either - in some cases I had to wait for several days before they got them in stock.

Nord Lands
Fish
Buy at: Wercheg, Tihr.
Sell at: Narra, Veluca, Halmar, Tulga
Buy/Sell prices: 5-30/55-70
Linen
Buy at: Sargoth
Sell at: Narra, Tulga, Halmar, Veluca,
Buy/Sell prices: 85-95/230-240

Vaegir Lands
Meat
Buy at: Rivacheg, Reyvadin
Sell at: Tihr, Halmar, Veluca, Narra
Buy/Sell prices: 15-40/75-90
Wool
Buy at: Reyvadin
Sell at: Narra, Yalen, Veluca, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 20-50/140-160
Iron
Buy at: Curaw
Sell at: Tihr, Yalen, Veluca, Narra
Buy/Sell prices: 60-90/280-320
Furs
Buy at: Khudan
Sell at: Yalen, Veluca, Narra, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 75-150+/435-475

Swadian Lands
Ale
Buy at: Praven
Sell at: Tihr, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 22-52/80-105
Wheat
Buy at: Uxkhal
Sell at: Tihr, Wercheg, Rivacheg
Buy/Sell prices: 12-40/80-100
Flour
Buy at: Uxkhal
Sell at: Tihr, Wercheg, Rivacheg
Buy/Sell prices: 26-50/95-110
Tools
Buy at: Dhirim
Sell at: Veluca, Narra, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 115-200/430-470
Oil
Buy at: Suno, Narra
Sell at: Wercheg, Curaw , Rivacheg, Khudan
Buy/Sell prices: 195-300/480-520

Rhodok Lands
Cheese
Buy at: Yalen, Jelkala
Sell at: Tulga, Rivacheg, Ichamur, Khudan, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 35-60/100-110
Wine
Buy at: Veluca
Sell at: Rivacheg, Tihr, Wercheg, Khudan
Buy/Sell prices: 30-80/145-165
Velvet
Buy at: Jelkala
Sell at: Tihr, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 615-780/995-1025

Khergit Lands
Pottery
Buy at: Halmar
Sell at: Tihr, Yalen, Rivacheg, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 15-30/130-150
Salt
Buy at: Ichamur
Sell at: Yalen, Suno, Rivacheg, Tihr
Buy/Sell prices: 65-90/270-280
Spice
Buy at: Tulga
Sell at: Yalen, Tihr, Wercheg
Buy/Sell prices: 200-470/915-1003

Also note that most goods are valuable at the most distant areas, with a few exceptions. One oddity was the price of oil - I found it for about 300 at Veluca and Narra as well as the lower prices in Suno, and in one game Suno was at 300 for oil too. The result is the distant southern lands pay very little for oil, so the best prices are northeast.

Since I only used 5 games with a few days in each as my sample, expect different results - but the general prices should be at least similar.

People started to write such useful guides nowadays. Perhaps they all should be stickied.

I wrote a similar guide but it's imbeded in a thread somewhere and I can't remember which one.

Definitely buy in villages (near the towns shown that sell the product cheapest).  You can get stuff for far less, significantly increasing your profits.

Edit:

E.g. with only 8 Trade skill:

- Furs for 39
- Wool for 13
- Linen for 45
- Tools for 85
- Oil for 48
- Wine for 14
- Pottery for 12
- Salt for 25

Lol, aparently the numbers for salt and wool can be called with skype  :???:

No but seriously, vey good guide, should be stickied

I've played around a little with trading lately myself, and found that it can be extremely profitable, even with a Trade level of 0. From my own (admittedly limited) testing, I see a buy-price reduction of around 2.5% per skill in Trade (though I've read that it scales much better at extremely high levels). In my experience, the most crucial thing with trading, is actually luck; when I've been able to find Furs and Iron (in Khudan and Curaw, respectively) for < 100 Denars per unit, the profit potential is quite huge. However, when those places are selling the goods at much higher prices, there's not much money to be made.

I'm not sure what causes prices to change in particular settlements, but the range can be quite huge. For instance, I was doing some trading the other day, and traveled through Yalen. I checked their goods prices, and saw Cheese at 11 Denars per unit, which is incredibly cheap. At the time, however, I didn't have any spare room for the cheese, and the goods I was carrying wouldn't have sold for much. So, I moved on to Suno, then Sargeth, then Tihr, and then back to Yalen with a mostly empty inventory. However, in this time period of only around 1 day, the price of Cheese had shot up to around 40 or 50 per unit, despite there being the same amount of it for sale.

If you sit around the whole game just bandit hunting, and then try trading, will the towns all have hug stockpiles of the desirable goods (Velvet, Spices, Other expensive things), or do they have an inventory cap of how much per ___.

If its simply because of a full traders' inventory... What if you buy all of the ****ty goods, and make space for the good ones? Will the merchants fill up with the best things?

If that theory works, I imagine the same can be done with horses, armor, and weapons. Clean out the inventory of all the suck, and wait for the merchs to get good things.

Wow, that's an amazing guide.

Care to share what kind of circuit you make? It looks to me like going counter-clockwise starting from Rivacheg would be best, since furs and other northern goods can be sold in Yalen before you continue on.

If you're wanting a good circuit, one good one is to take spice/salt up to the wercheg/rivacheg area, selling some of that and grab some cheap furs iron meat wool as you see it on the way, then head across to Suno, Tihr, Yalen - selling any spice/salt left and the stuff you got from the vaegir lands. You can grab oil if you see any cheap in Suno, and pick up cheese and maybe some fish if you have inventory space. Then run back on down to the Khergit lands - stopping off at Narra or Halmar if you need to sell off more vaegir goods (you can grab some pottery while you're here, sell it up by the vaegirs or Yalen/Tihr) - and to Tulga/Ichamur and sell off the cheese, fish. Then just go back to vaegirs and sell more salt/spice plus any oil you picked up in Suno, and grab more vaegir goods if any are available. Don't be afraid to break the circuit if you aren't finding cheap goods, check Veluca for wine to bring up to Vaegir land and cut over to Dhirim to check for cheap tools on occasion. You can also pick up some Praven/Uxkhal goods - wheat, ale, flour to sell off either in the vaegir lands or up at Tihr.

Also every time you're near Jelkala it doesn't hurt to look for velvet, you can make a lot on that if you find it cheap - but I hardly ever find it there. Every cheap piece you find is going to net ~200-300 denars, though. More if you get it from a village.

Oh, and also check for oil in Narra. It can sometimes be cheap there too, although Suno seems to have a better chance of having it cheap.

Kolaris said:
Wow, that's an amazing guide.

Care to share what kind of circuit you make? It looks to me like going counter-clockwise starting from Rivacheg would be best, since furs and other northern goods can be sold in Yalen before you continue on.

For a good circuit just watch the caravans, they do the optimal sales..

Doing the "analyze the trade routes" option at the marketplace does not always give you the best price.  Unless you get to the destination fast, the price drops - apparently AI sends caravans there.  The regional approach works best, especially since surrounding towns may still have a good or the new best price, and since you may have to visit more than one town to unload your inventory.  As mentioned above, stopping at villages can be quite lucrative - what they lack in volume they make up for in low prices.

Awesome guide, I just started a new merchant character and I noticed that I start with a sumpter horse in my inventory.
Does having a horse in your inventory lighten your load when you carry alot of stuff ?  Do you lose less speed ?

//Salkin

I decided to play around with trade routes a little more last night, so I started a new character specifically for that purpose. I answered the question with Son of Traveling Merchants -> Shop Assistant -> Goods Peddler -> Wanderlust. This started me with a Trade skill of 4, a couple hundred Denars, and a few trade goods worth a few hundred more. After selling off my starting trade goods, I began trading and specifically avoiding combat (didn't hire any troops or heroes). By day 13, I'm up to a little over 15.2k Denars, with a few lower end trade goods remaining in my inventory. I spent 600 Denars or so on buying a few cheap horses to help carry goods, and had a further net expenditure of 50 Denars on non-trade related expenses. (I was attacked by thugs while going into a city's market at night, and got 100 Denars for beating them, but then spent 150 Denars buying off a group of Deserters that hit me the instant I left a different city a few days later).

Like I said in an earlier post, the thing that seems to impact profits the most, is actually luck. With a little more luck, I could have more money in the same amount of time, even if my character didn't have any skill in Trade. I don't remember exactly what trade routes I took, since it varied quite a lot based on available prices.

Buying cheap Furs in and around Khudan, and selling them in Veluca, Jelkala, and Narra is really lucrative. If you can get a purchase price of < 100 Denars per unit (for the first few anyway), and then sell them for 300-450'ish each, then the profit is huge. I'm pretty sure that a number of other people have done a lot more trading than I have, but this seems to be the single best profit margin I've seen (partly because you can usually buy a pretty good quantity of Furs, whereas with some other goods in various locations, you can only find a couple units).

Awesome guide, I just started a new merchant character and I noticed that I start with a sumpter horse in my inventory.
Does having a horse in your inventory lighten your load when you carry alot of stuff ?  Do you lose less speed ?
Yes, having extra horses in your inventory does reduce your speed loss while carrying a lot of trade goods. However, the Horses themselves have weight and will actually slow you down if you don't have many/any trade goods in your inventory.

Thanks for the answer Wheem.

I've been doing alot of trading but I'm not getting very good prices when I buy stuff anymore, I pay around 150 for my furs in Khudan. 

//Salkin

Like I said, the guide is a general guide - not exact pricing. And all of them were done at the beginning of games, and I only tested over the course of 3 days each - so prices may fluctuate more given a long period. I haven't done any testing to see how trading is after a few years of game time... I guess I might later :smile:

It basically gives you the regions that certain goods are valuable in, along with a really ideal buying price and a really ideal selling price (especially since trade was maxed). The point was to let you know where to buy and sell what, not tell you exactly what profit you'll make from doing it.

I've referenced the guide several times to find the best places to sell certain things :wink:

What I'd really like to know, is what causes the price fluctuations of goods. I'm not sure if it's random (which could represent domestic trading going on within the city), or if it's somehow related to Caravan and Peasant movements, or even something else entirely. I felt like sometimes I had a number of wasted days running around from place to place trying to find a decent buying price on various goods. What you get from selling particular goods at particular locations seems to be much more stable.

Back
Top Bottom