Trade

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthropoid

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I think I'm playing with 1.391, not 1.393. That was what I got when I DLed at the link in one of the stickies and it seems there is a patch due because of a recent Warband patch right?

Anyway, I've read most of the trade threads that are stickied. Most of these seem to be a year or more old and I get the impression that the trade dynamics might have changed quite a bit?

About the only consistent profit margin I can identify so far:

1. Buy beer or meed in Oxenaforda -> sell in Dorce Ceaster. Price seems to be consistently higher to buy in DC whereas, in contrast to some of the advice threads, buy prices in Scotland (well, southern anyway) and Wales seem to vary quite a bit.

2. Buy silver, stone or minerals in Din Gonwy, and to lesser degrees any of the Welsh trade zone -> sell in Oxenaforda. No idea why, but Oxenforda seems to really value minerals. One town further east in Aegelsburh almost never commands as much, and London never commands as much.

Trade rules of thumb that I've read in past threads that were sticked that either seem to not apply any longer with changes to the mod, else I'm just seeing variability owing to war or something . . .

A. Salt prices seem to fluctuate a lot. I rarely see it anywhere for under 150 and often times it is cheaper north of Loidis (Caer Manguid??) than in Lys Pengwern!?

B. I have NOT observed cheap furs around London.

C. Pretty much no other guideline that I've read seems to be completely clear in my game.

Questions:
I. It seems like maybe the trade prices are pretty dynamic? Is the engine behind the prices really that sophisticated that it takes into account the effects of war, banditry, looting of villages, etc.?

II. Have there been changes in recent patches to the mod that would change the trade dynamics compared to say a year or more ago?

III. Anyone have any good pointers for trade?

Heh, I'm actually considering getting my second computer (laptop) running while I play and starting a frigging spreadsheet to exactly monitor prices :wink: Assuming that sell prices correlate with buy prices (which they do seem to do, although obviously ALWAYS higher) then by taking the time to enter in data for a number of towns over a few weeks I could conceivably identiy even the tightest of margin routes!

Hunt/steal cattle and sell hides in Bernaccia/Lindisware (especially Loidis and Eoferwic)

Buy salt in Pengwern/Hwicce/Mierce (the villages closest to Pengwern that is just East of the Welsh border) and sell in Wales, then buy minerals (silver, minerals, stone sometimes fish and wool) and sell back in Pengwern.

You can get really cheap furs in Pict land, so if you are using a ship you can take it back to the South of England for really good profits (buy at 200 sell at 400 and that is without a single point in trade as my character is a strict fighter).

That is all I have discovered so far, but if you see goods being sold for cheaper than you would imagine, for example beer and mead is really good to get from Oxenforda/Grantebrycge and sell in Cantware/Seals-ey but that seems hit and miss.

Honestly once you get a supply wagon and have a faction to pick on, steal cattle and slaughter them to fill up your supply wagon with hide, then sell in groups of 4-5 in South West/North England for ludicrous profit. I have gotten 500 for hides before and you are basically getting them for free by stealing them, plus feeding your troops :smile:

Note about owning business, nothing is worth anything except breweries. Even in towns with silk/linen shortages it still makes no sense to buy anything but a brewery since they have a higher profit output and cost way less to buy.

Londonwic, Cantwaraburh, Monid Crobh are good cities to buy breweries in since they are short on ale most of the time. 500-1000 profits every week (varies greatly)

Hypno Toad said:
Note about owning business, nothing is worth anything except breweries. Even in towns with silk/linen shortages it still makes no sense to buy anything but a brewery since they have a higher profit output and cost way less to buy.

Londonwic, Cantwaraburh, Monid Crobh are good cities to buy breweries in since they are short on ale most of the time. 500-1000 profits every week (varies greatly)

Well that kinda sucks.

It seems Dorce Ceaster and Searoburh might also be good cities for breweries. Using Aleifer with Trade 7 and assessing markets frequently in Agelesburh and Oxenaforda, best profit margins show up as being one of those two (as well as lond and Cantwaraburh) pretty often.

Off to do some more quests for the Guildmasters of these towns  :smile:

What do those numbers in the "We have shortages in: Wool (1215), Grain (1346), Iron (1187) . . . etc., actually mean?

Based on the above poster's recommendation, I'm going to build breweries first, under the premise that they are the only truly profitable enterprise.

I'm using the "Assess Trade" results from Aegelsburh as a guide to where to set up a brewery (where the proft margin is highest are candidates).

I then go to the candidate town and check out what they say they produce and what the Guildmaster says they have shortages of.

Problem with both Londonwic and Cantwaraburh is, the villagers say that Beer is among their items produced (though granted not ale or mead, does the brewery make all three?), and I'm not sure if it says anything about shortages of beer, ale or mead.

Are these info screens actually meaningful and helpful in deciding where to setup an enterprise? Assuming the information in the various screens IS meaningful, I'd assume that the best place to setup a brewery (for example) would be:
1. a place that recurrently offers the best profit margin for a beer caravan from Aegelsburh
2. a place that has abundant grain (villagers list it as one of the first 3 items they produce?)
3. Guildmaster says there is a shortage of beer and/or mead/ale?

It is true that breweries are best almost everywhere.
I like to build shops everywhere.  In wales, I like to build smithies. I lower the starting price in moddb to equal breweries.
Smiths earn very well in the towns with low-cost mineral.

In nonbrewery nonsmith towns, I build tanneries.

Tanneries do pretty well in many towns especially up north.
In my make believe games, I imagine my smiths and tanneries giving me 1000 gold towards free equipment every week or so. I buy these first.

I also build linen makers in the towns with low flax cost and in ireland. Linenmakers also give a bonus towards armour purchases in those towns.

Note that you can increase profit margin of a tannery if you give the tannery lower cost hides than they can find locally.

I have no idea what the guildmaster garble means. If you compare their assessments with the prices in the market, there doesn't seem to be a correlation.
Can someone weigh in on this?

Back
Top Bottom