TPW - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Regarding looting: while the ammount of goods we receive seems ridiculous compared to the ammount of troops we defeat, in the context of the Peloponnesian War, it doe smake perfect historical sense. Almost all of the weapons stripped from defeated foes would be piled up to form a trophy commerating the battle, or else sent as votive offerings to Delphi or some other major temple, thanking the god who was thought to have granted the victory. Maybe adding a few sentences to explain this to the after battle text would be nice, and for particularly large battles, having a visitable trophy on the map would be a great touch.

Lynores, I was just wondering why you named the Xiphos sword "Hoplite", when Hoplite actually refers to any piece of war equipment, Hoplites themselves literally meaning "He who carries the tools of war". Was this deliberate? Because I've never seen the Xiphos referred to in this manner.

Also, the Parazoonion short sword, I looked it up and all I could find was reference material related to the "Parazonium". Apparently the Romans copied a Greek original, and the name is in fact Latin, I could find nothing regarding the original nor anything by the name you used for it.

I'm pretty sure this was asked before.  The sword is named "hoplite" to prevent confusion among people who may not know what a Xiphos is... if I recall correctly.

I never saw it asked, certainly not in this thread, unless it's secreted away in a corner. In any case, I thought it needed asking, especially since I'm rather an obsessive when it comes to historical accuracy. To my way of thinking, if people find "Xiphos" confusing, and I really can't understand why they would, naming it "Hoplite" won't make much difference. If they simply don't know what it is, they can open a book (Gasp!) or take a look on Wiki. Not hard.

I'm going to rename them using the item editor, simply because I can't bare to see it called anything but it's proper name, however it would be nice if Lynores would amend it for the next release.

I'd still like an answer regarding the "Parazoonion" question.

Thanks,

Nordmann

So I'm nearing the end of crushing the Scythians and man are they rough and tumble when defending castles.  In the final mod they won't even have walled cities will they?  I like them as they are but when the factors come together (150+ bowmen each with 30+ arrows, high walls, and MB's awful siege system) it's just a massacre, haha.

Nordmann said:
Lynores, I was just wondering why you named the Xiphos sword "Hoplite", when Hoplite actually refers to any piece of war equipment, Hoplites themselves literally meaning "He who carries the tools of war". Was this deliberate? Because I've never seen the Xiphos referred to in this manner.

Also, the Parazoonion short sword, I looked it up and all I could find was reference material related to the "Parazonium". Apparently the Romans copied a Greek original, and the name is in fact Latin, I could find nothing regarding the original nor anything by the name you used for it.

I had also noticed this. Also why use the term aspis (or aespis) when the Hoplon shield was used by Greek infantry? The word aspis/aespis refers to "shield".

Since i do not see any bug, an do really care for historical accuracy in games, my suggestions are only about meshes and textures.

Would you pretend to add female clothes (no armor) for next releases. It is strange enter in taverns and see female NPCs wearing medieval dresses. The mod need greek sandals either, since the only options are greaves and the Embades.

It could be interesting change horses for more Greek style models. I'm talking specifically about saddles, that should be removed. Maybe some more horse textures to give better choice options to the player.

Was playing PW for some time, I can say that you have done a wonderfull work Lynores, most wonderfull indeed!

Its quite hard, especialy to play as a hoplite, with an overhand doru.

Ok: - you could tone down Helot rebels a bit, they have good armors and they are actually leathal! No more looters!,
      - Persia. It would be nice to see a diference in factions, just for the diversification sake,
      - Spartan veteran hoplite, could they have red cape?

Goodluck,

As I understand it the troop types are really place-holders.  They will be much more hashed out in the next release.

There is a massive debate going over whether or not to include the Persians:
-For: Including the Persians will add a great deal of diversity and expansiveness to the mod.
-Against: Extending the map that far will severely detract from the detail and cities will be extremely close together (like in Hegemony)

Adding in a bit of Persian equipment would be a tasty compromise.

Extending the map to Doriscus could make them a very minor faction but good for special quests and money grubbing. I've been over it with Lynores before and there were map stretching issues back then but maybe now there's more hope. I haven't been around these parts for a long time.

Congratulations Lynores btw! The demo is absolutely marvelous fun to play!

I know this is off topic, but I would just like to say thank you for the hard work and time put into this mod. And that I cannot wait for the Alpha! :grin:

I agree with rez about having a leetle bit of persia in the mod. should make for a fun diversion from all the hoplite-on-hoplite action.:smile:

persian items sound fun, but what would those be? I know that Alexander's officers and cavalry companions liked persian saddles and they were quite expensive imported goods. But other than that, I can't imagine greeks wearing persian armor or using persian weapons. (since it tended to be the other way around..)

The equipment doesn't necessarily have to be used on any units in the game (unless we go to Doriscus) but it could be more for the player if he chooses to make a non Greek character.

Examples would be the different sorts of scale armour the Persians wore, axes, swords, shields, head dresses. A lot of the easiest stuff would simply be taking a few linthorax armour models and just giving them trousers and sleeves. The Persians had been importing various styles of reinforced linen armour like the linthorax for a long time from places like Egypt. I for one would love to be able to wear a Kandys with scale armour.

Of course the lamellar arm guards, throat guards and horse armour would all make spectacular special pieces.

I want to suggest making the cavalry weaker, with a lighter equipement (in the equipment thread i posted some pics), the greeks states, at this time, use them in low numbers, the thracians was the exception, with a large number, but its cavalry was armed in a  mounted peltast version

I was thinking...what about replacing music files with some better ones?Native music is rather bad and don't fit ancient times at all...If I can make suggestion, i would go with mp3 files from Europa Universalis:Rome (since TW is related to Paradox,i don't think it would be anything bad),I can provide you with those files Lynores, since i have EU:Rome...those mp3's are rather epic, and if there's any way to shpw you examples if you are intrested, i would do it
edit:eek:fcourse,for those who fear that TPW file would be too big, replacing music could be optionall

Vanilla music isn't bad, but I agree, it would be nice to have something unique, though I suspect Lynores has more pressing priorities at this time. If and when new music is added to TPW, I would definitely advise that it be sought from a source other than an existing game.

Merlkir said:
(since it tended to be the other way around..)
Depends, really.

Pausanias, after all, did take to dressing as a Persian, and the kopis came originally from lands included in the Persian Empire, while Xenophon highly recommends the Persian palta (javelins/short spears) as cavalry weapons, as well as the Persian laminated arm guard and of course the Persian saddle, while IIRC Persian bows were also taken up in some parts of the Hellenic world. The imitation was definately went both ways during this period.

Back
Top Bottom