Median Colonist:

69647101.jpg

Median Cavalry:

81446618.jpg

Median Heavy Cavalry:

51694990.jpg

Carian White Shield:

94674964.jpg

Rez, do the Persians not use the iconic rectangular wicker shield in this period? I'm a bit worried for what they'll use as the bread and butter line infantry, since it seems like only the Guardsmen, White Shields, and Lydian Spearmen have the shields that could stand up (if briefly) to a Phalanx. I'm not sure how protective the crescent shield (name eludes me) would be in a line infantry role.

And did they not use shields from horseback?

Rez, do the Persians not use the iconic rectangular wicker shield in this period? I'm a bit worried for what they'll use as the bread and butter line infantry, since it seems like only the Guardsmen, White Shields, and Lydian Spearmen have the shields that could stand up (if briefly) to a Phalanx. I'm not sure how protective the crescent shield (name eludes me) would be in a line infantry role.

At this point the rectangular spara appears to have fallen out of favour and been replaced by the crescent taka, at least in the west. In fact it isn't ever described and exceedingly rarely depicted (on Attic pottery) after the invasions of Greece were over. If the shield did carry on in service it would have been within actual imperial armies not our provincial troops. Since no full regiment of Persian infantry is recorded in the west during our time period I have restricted the list to only include Persian light infantry since the majority of Persians and Iranians in the west were cavalry colonists or retainers serving in the nobility's cavalry.

Xenophons mention of only a few Persians rounded up for infantry service in the area to face Dercyllidas' invasion implies only light service as bodyguards and skirmishers. The high proportion of attic pottery depicting the taka and skirmishing Persians tends to confirm this. In reality, actual Persians were in the minority in these satrapies and where they were in great numbers they served on horseback.

The problem with the spara is that it is a composite archery formation tool and without the formation its somewhat useless. even in a straight line infantry formation the crescent taka carries the edge because of its much more solid wooden construction. So to cut it all down to one sentence - Since there were no persian infantry regiments operating in asia minor we can't tool anyone up as a proper Persian infantryman.

And did they not use shields from horseback?

In 88 Sekunda suggested that some Persian cavalry used shields but he based this only on depictions of amazon warriors with wicker taka on horseback. In fact there are no depictions of Persian cavalry with shields (despite something of a wealth of cavalry images) and there are no literary references.

Thanks for the clarification! What do you think will make up the bulk of their line infantry, amongst their auxiliaries if not the Persian natives themselves?

Well hopefully the Carians should bear the brunt of the line infantry work in the south along with the Lycians since they are the most vigourously attested. The southern satrapies had access to more soldiers who were infantry orientated so we should see Carians forming the core with Lycians, Persians and Lydians in supporting roles.

However in the north, Pharnabazus did not have access to as many melee orientated infantry so the northern lords should field much more cavalry/skirmisher orientated armies. With such heavy cavalry at their disposal the north Persian lords may prove to be a tough nut to crack.

However, there are 9 villages and three towns in our Asia minor that have a Greek culture so a Persian player will also have access to Greek hoplites here as well as in taverns to fill out the infantry role. In fact a great deal of the "Persians relied on Greek soldiers" line of thinking is founded on the western satrapies use of the nearby and useful Greeks. 

The amount of detail and historical research put in this preview is amazing. Thank you, guys. The units are simply beautiful!

HAha
I don't think if I have any words of gratitude left, but
Thanks for the hard work guys.

NovaTitan said:
I don't understand. Why are they all colorful like power rangers?

There's a frequent mistake with antiquity to associate it as drab and colorless. From depictions and scientific-y alchemy those scientists do, it's becoming increasingly clear how antiquity was as colorful or more so than today. Think of the soldiers as less like a modern uniformed warrior (Who has to worry about camoflauge) and more like a gang member who wants to wear the most distinct, imposing, colorful or otherwise bling-bling heavy outfit as possible. Plus consider the appeal of the Dress uniform and crisp and fancy uniform to men who might have come from humbler backgrounds, or whose station would demand such an outfit.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/07/greek-statues-in-color.html
aHz52.jpg

It is sad, that there are no english wikipedia articles about that:
The subject:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antike_Polychromie
The exhibition:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunte_Götter_–_Die_Farbigkeit_antiker_Skulptur
Some more pictures:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:National_Archaeological_Museum_of_Athens_-_Bunte_Götter_exhibition
last two  links only work, when you copy and paste them

Btw is the mod dead? i hope not  :cry: cuz i really waited for this mod  :lol: But if the mod isnt dead can you guys then tell me when it is done ( if you know when its done ) i've been searched for a Roman, Spartan, Persian, og Greek mod. The Hegemony 268 mod is dead and the Sparta 300 Mod is too, so i really dont hope that this is dead

Backstay said:
Btw is the mod dead? i hope not  :cry: cuz i really waited for this mod  :lol: But if the mod isnt dead can you guys then tell me when it is done ( if you know when its done ) i've been searched for a Roman, Spartan, Persian, og Greek mod. The Hegemony 268 mod is dead and the Sparta 300 Mod is too, so i really dont hope that this is dead

What the hell are you talking about Backstay???  :???:
This mod isn't dead,Lynores(modderator)is quite busy with real life,and he told us that on forums...he will finish it very soon though.AND HEGEMONY 268.B.C. ISN'T DEAD!You should learn more about them and be more active on their boards(Peloponnesian War's and Hegemony's)!

Hope you understand :wink:

Ok, but alot of people told me that the Hegemony mod is dead???  so i thought it was, and when im trying to find the mod on google i cant find it the only things i find is post that says the mod is DEAD!
:shock:
But if you says that the mod isnt dead then you maybe can send a link for it?  :wink:

And the reason for i thought The Peloponnesian War mod was dead, was because no one did talk about the process in the last replys  :smile:

Backstay said:
Ok, but alot of people told me that the Hegemony mod is dead???  so i thought it was, and when im trying to find the mod on google i cant find it the only things i find is post that says the mod is DEAD!
:shock:
But if you says that the mod isnt dead then you maybe can send a link for it?  :wink:

And the reason for i thought The Peloponnesian War mod was dead, was because no one did talk about the process in the last replys  :smile:

Yeah,i was worried about that too(about peloponnesian war mod)...but i never thought that it is dead.Just think if someone would abort something like this! :smile: And Lynores told us that he is just busy with something else,and he will continue very soon,also the potential is already done in January,only things left to do is bug crushing and some other easy stuff to do.
And hegemony 268.b.c.IS NOT DEAD!!!It's my favourite mod and i know it isn't dead...from my active time on Taleworlds forums i am more than three fourths on hegemony's board...here's a link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,98.0.html
The modderator is ealabor,SPQR and their helmet maker is Stelious.But don't ask them for release date!They are working hard,and believe me,Peloponnesian War and Hegemony 268.B.C. will share #1 rank of mod of the year award! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom