Tournaments... questionably implemented?

Users who are viewing this thread

CaptainLee

Sergeant Knight at Arms
After a new start and a few in-game weeks I gave tournaments a go and much to my surprise I won it. As an experiment I did five and managed to win three of them. Is this really how they are supposed to go? Aside from the betting, the rewards are so good as to really unbalance the early game where you have to scavange or save up good money for equipment. It's exciting to get higher stat stuff. Tournaments are a really quick and easy way of getting superior gear, especially as armour does not take degradation or helmets get destroyed. You can also cheese quite easily. Personally I'd like some changes, such as-

Changes-

-An entrance fee? Renown requirement needed for consecutive tournies?
-Wounds taken in tournaments carry over to campaign map. Same for companions that compete.
-Mix up the rewards. A jewelled statue perhaps? Think the golden horse they smash apart in A Knight's Tale.
-More men in the melee, and higher rank. Get out of my arena you filthy peasants!
-Increase their rarity.
-In general some risk/reward, because so far there isn't any aside from losing an optional bet.

Thought or opinions?

Last edited:
The tournaments right now are very much about having good armor. With good armor you cannot lose, but with **** armor you need at least a bit of skill. (or just an armor piercing weapon)

The money you get from tournaments is very good in the first ones you do, and then it drops down to practically nothing.

Yeah, as sniparsexe said, it seems that specialized tournaments are planned ("hidden" scenes raise a plausibility); that everyone will surely love; any addition that will broaden the playable experience is always welcome.

On the other hand, I don't know what you will think; but I (and as seen in the poll to a remarkable majority) would like to bring back the "competitive" component of the Arena and forget about the bloodbath in what has become (as commented in this thread).

Yeah, as sniparsexe said, it seems that specialized tournaments are planned ("hidden" scenes raise a plausibility); that everyone will surely love; any addition that will broaden the playable experience is always welcome.

On the other hand, I don't know what you will think; but I (and as seen in the poll to a remarkable majority) would like to bring back the "competitive" component of the Arena and forget about the bloodbath in what has become (as commented in this thread).

Yes, the new tournaments are very different and make little sense. There are too may advantages for the player and cheesing is too easy and sometimes even unavoidable due to the limited AI. Plus I find the rewards lack variety and are too generous. Hopefully they are subject to change.

It was odd when they stopped armor from mattering in tournaments, made them exceptionally easy to win right out the gate

The betting starts to dwindle down to nothing, and the rewards are random. You have to basically devote weeks in game to farm yourself a proper armour set. But it’s so mind numbing to do that, tournaments are incredibly boring. It was at least hard when armour mattered. Agreed, I have no issue with them being harder and having a proper reward system with a bigger risk.

Players asked for blunt tournament weapons and got them.
Hmmm is that it? Or where they having lord die in tournaments and the easiest fix was to make all the weapons blunt? XD

IMO tournaments aren't that helpful so they're okay as they are for a start. They could have harder ones with better prizes too but trying to nikle and dime a new player out of still-bad gear and tiny amount of denars is silly.

It would be nice if there were other disciplines other than stomping melee. Tournaments could contain archery events and jousting. If melee - being able to pick your equipment from predefined sets like the roman gladiators might be nice. Keeping your personal armor somewhat distorts the tournament - but then again, armor works very strange.

The tournaments right now are very much about having good armor. With good armor you cannot lose, but with **** armor you need at least a bit of skill. (or just an armor piercing weapon)

The money you get from tournaments is very good in the first ones you do, and then it drops down to practically nothing.
Nah, not even that. I can go in on the highest dificult and still win tournaments, unless I get a bow/throwing weapon... and I can still manage to win. Nakedfighting in Shield+Sword tournaments is laughable though, twohander battanian can be hard to if there is an enemy lord in there. Otherwise win win.

I thought they were going to remove player armor in all tournament events. I really like the idea of grand tournaments. It shouldn't be free to enter tournaments. As cool as it would be to have different events, I don't think the devs would be able to implement something like that at this point.

Why are they so easy? i went in as a level 2 guy with like tier 2 armor and won without much effort -when i first tried this game the Lords were like terminators -as they should be. Even with the Improve AI Melee mod its too easy. Game should be hard so theres an incentive to level up and practice to refine skills

Why are they so easy? i went in as a level 2 guy with like tier 2 armor and won without much effort -when i first tried this game the Lords were like terminators -as they should be. Even with the Improve AI Melee mod its too easy. Game should be hard so theres an incentive to level up and practice to refine skills
Because the weapons used to be sharps, so armor had full effectiveness. You could hammer at a lord and get maybe ten damage out of your swing. I doubt they gave it any more thought than fulfilling an easy request.

Back
Top Bottom