SP - General Tournaments and Armor

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it's absurd that tournaments have armor.
Don't get me wrong, I know they aren't exactly an early game thing to do, but I think it's also ridiculous that hits I'm landing are only doing 1 to 2 damage on a fully decked out legionnaire.
Everyone is using practice weapons, so why can't there be practice armor or similar?
Just my two cents - it's frustrating working up to the finals only to be curbed stomped by a guy because he's wearing expensive gear, but I can't even use my expensive sword.

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tournaments have bring your own armor then they should be bring your own weapons as well. If I know the biggest issue is armored enemies I should be allowed to bring a mace.

The tournaments are great (frustrating at times, but great), maybe one of the most complete thing atm.
I try my best to enjoy them before the boredom of standard gear will be reintroduced because people are complainig about the armour of the good units to fight against from time to time.
I will never do them with standard gear again, that was always a mix out of rng and boredom.

A logical attempt why you can't bring you weapon is simple btw, its a tourney, they don't kill each other in tourneys.

I don't think it's that hard to win, even if you're fighting a guy that has great armor. The AI is not that hard to beat, even at low levels. The problems start piling on when you're fighting named hero characters that also happen to have great armor. They swing faster and harder than you, and the few times you hit them back, they will be able to tank the hit and not get stunned, and slap you for your insolence.

I have no problem with BYOA (bring you own armor, beer style) as this is sort of how it'd probably go in ye olde ages. Not every peasant can sign up and get handed a piece of plate armor. You might be able to loan a bow for a bow shooting contest, but for a joust or a fight on foot you're **** out of luck, probably.

The tournaments are great (frustrating at times, but great), maybe one of the most complete thing atm.
I try my best to enjoy them before the boredom of standard gear will be reintroduced because people are complainig about the armour of the good units to fight against from time to time.
I will never do them with standard gear again, that was always a mix out of rng and boredom.

A logical attempt why you can't bring you weapon is simple btw, its a tourney, they don't kill each other in tourneys.

I think an easy solution would be just to increase the damage of the tournament melee weapons - so they actually can damage the high level enemies.

A better solution might be also to let players pick their loadout - but not sure I see that happening anytime soon.

I think an easy solution would be just to increase the damage of the tournament melee weapons - so they actually can damage the high level enemies.

A better solution might be also to let players pick their loadout - but not sure I see that happening anytime soon.

Well a certain difficulty should be there... ofc when you're new its a hard time with certain enemies, but it shouldn't be a grap-for-fee.
(And mind this hard-hitting tournament weapons would hit you harder too. As it is now you can grind down the good units and take at least a punch from them, when you raise the damage they will most likely one-hit you)
Now that you can also work on your skills/experience is see the tornaments as something that needs the least work atm.
At some point once a year a Great Torunament with 32 or 64 fighters and a better price would be nice, but for now they offer a good mix out of training (since 1.06), challenge and... sometimes reward.
Ofc a hemlet for worth 4000 is nicer than a mace worth 300 but then again you always get some renown too if you win (which could be slightly higher i have to admit).

edit: but ofc as in any aspect of the game, i wouldn't mind an option in the game menu for - (x) Standard Gear in Tournaments - for players who prefer that

I think an even easier solution would be to make all entrants in the tourney have a tournament tier set of armor.

Maybe a midrange set of armor that every unit wears, nothing stronger or weaker. That's how an actual tournament is hosted, yes?
Hell, the Olympics used to have all contestants naked- just be glad I'm not opting for that lol

Thank you all for the input - glad to see some honest discussion about the subject.

Been doing tournaments non stop(realistic/good AI) and the best way to beat the armored up characters is to circle to their left leg and do a left ward swing repeatedly until you kill them. For w/e reason the AI can't figure out what to do there and constantly gets hit in the face.

I'd like to see everybody set up in some mid-tier leather. I think it would be more fun and less likely that one team steam-rolls another or you steam-roll someone else. More immersive

One tip I have to give is to stab and aim for the head. Thrusts ignore a chunk of armor, and head attacks do more damage. Knowing this makes tournaments merely tedious, but winnable.

If they remove armor for npcs tournaments are going to be an auto win for the player. Even at close to zero proficiency I can consistently win 1vs1 against unarmored opponents, and I am really not that great at dueling. When I meet an armored character I usually bite it unless I have decent gear/proficiencies myself.

You can always try to favor the team with weaker enemies in early phases. Or just go to Vladia, 1vs1 there are either horseback or use the funky looking polearm 2h that I can't recall the name of now (with that one proficiencies and armor don't really matter a whole lot).

IMO they should do what real world gladiators did - they got classes (to use a modern term) there are too many to list but here is a wiki link with a bunch of latin names. When you go in to the tournament it should give you:
  • A pre-set/named suit of armor and some matching weapons
  • Maybe a bit of lore to go with it like "this armor and weapon setup was favoured by the Legionnaires of the Empire's eastern border, who frequently had to repel Khuzait raiders" or some tips on the classes weaknesses/strengths.
  • And a little bit of fanfare to get you in the mood for a bloodbath - like a (skippable) cutscene of your team walking out of the vomitorium and raising their weapons to the sound of the crowd cheering and an announcer booming out to begin the fight.
  • A (skippable) little ending cutscene of you being given a trophy or sack of gold by the arena manager - or being carried off on a stretcher if you lost.
  • Available classes could vary with the arena you're fighting in, to reflect local customs (which is sort of already in).

Last edited:
This was handled better in Warband. Everyone had the same suit of chainmail. Higher tier units usually made it to the final rounds anyway, because they had higher skills.

You can always try to favor the team with weaker enemies in early phases. Or just go to Vladia, 1vs1 there are either horseback or use the funky looking polearm 2h that I can't recall the name of now (with that one proficiencies and armor don't really matter a whole lot).

This guy is almost there. The biggest part of the strategy of a tournament is eliminating the main threat in the earlier rounds. Only occasionally will RNG keep putting the same champion on your team so the main goal in the earlier rounds is to take out that champion whilst they are fighting someone else. Did that?- You won.

If you get stuck in the final round vs a champion/noble you can still win even on day 1 if you circle left and do up/block down/block attacks- if you time it right you can block every attack of the AI or dodge wide unless you are both fighting with 2 handed swords then sometimes the faster attack speed of the champions will win if you miss even a single dodge/block.

So far the only times I have lost is spawning with a bow right next to a team with a champion with shield/sword that charge directly toward me or facing champion with only a two-handed weapon and no dropped shield nearby I can pickup. You can't dodge the range of a two-handed very well and the champion attacks and moves way faster than you can so it isn't quite luck to win but you really have to do it perfectly when you are at a low level and have good armour yourself.

The goal is that once you hit and stagger them you hit again and again until they go down. Usually you can stagger with a down hit to the legs then do headshot stagger, final headshot and they are down.

I haven't tested that with lower than 3 levels of vigor but I win almost all tournaments on realistic/good AI with less than 20 weapon melee proficiencies and 3 vigor so I know it works.

If you get stuck in the final round vs a champion/noble you can still win even on day 1 if you circle left and do up/block down/block attacks- if you time it right you can block every attack of the AI or dodge wide unless you are both fighting with 2 handed swords then sometimes the faster attack speed of the champions will win if you miss even a single dodge/block.

Yeah that's why I said I am not good at dueling, I just can't do that reliably :lol: . I probably could eventually if I try often enough but honestly that isn't something I particularly enjoy doing.

Back
Top Bottom