Tough couple of patches...

Users who are viewing this thread

So I've been playing Bannerlord for about 3 months and loving it. Ran great, lot of fun, no complaints. Then suddenly - IIRC it was right after the patch before last - my menus all take forever to open and the campaign map is stuttering. I heard that the most recent patch fixed that, but not for me. At t his point the game is still playable, but Christ is it ever irritating...

While I'm here -

- The option to buy cheap horses from peasants is gone. That sucks. It was a good way to get started as a merchant, and nowhere near as broken as smithing.

- Why can't I give commands to my men after the enemy starts to flee? That's when I'm supposed to unleash the cavalry and wipe them out, but suddenly I can't do that anymore.

Also, the UI is painfully clunky. The result is fun dying the death of a thousand cuts For example:

- I can't scroll through the companions list without going from the menu to the individual back to the menu then to the next individual then back to the menu... Why can't I just go to companions and scroll through the list?

- Why do I have to go into a companion's profile to deselect the "tracking" star?

- Why isn't there a tab for the player's inventory, so my stuff isn't all mixed in with the trade goods? Between the clutter and the sudden menu lag I've stopped picking up battlefield loot. It's just not worth the frustration.

- Why no tab for food? If I'm supposed to give my guys a varied diet then can we streamline that a bit? If the only goal is to make me pay more for happiness then why not just give me a "Provisions Budget" slider, tie the cost to Stewardship or something, and be done with it?

- Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a really hard time picking up useful information from the message scroll on the bottom left of the screen. Can we set it up so that it's easier to spot the stuff that affects to me among all the stuff that doesn't? At some point yesterday I was voted King of Vlandia and I didn't even notice.

In closing, great game, I love it, and keep it up.

So I've been playing Bannerlord for about 3 months and loving it. Ran great, lot of fun, no complaints. Then suddenly - IIRC it was right after the patch before last - my menus all take forever to open and the campaign map is stuttering. I heard that the most recent patch fixed that, but not for me. At t his point the game is still playable, but Christ is it ever irritating...

While I'm here -

- The option to buy cheap horses from peasants is gone. That sucks. It was a good way to get started as a merchant, and nowhere near as broken as smithing.

- Why can't I give commands to my men after the enemy starts to flee? That's when I'm supposed to unleash the cavalry and wipe them out, but suddenly I can't do that anymore.

Also, the UI is painfully clunky. The result is fun dying the death of a thousand cuts For example:

- I can't scroll through the companions list without going from the menu to the individual back to the menu then to the next individual then back to the menu... Why can't I just go to companions and scroll through the list?

- Why do I have to go into a companion's profile to deselect the "tracking" star?

- Why isn't there a tab for the player's inventory, so my stuff isn't all mixed in with the trade goods? Between the clutter and the sudden menu lag I've stopped picking up battlefield loot. It's just not worth the frustration.

- Why no tab for food? If I'm supposed to give my guys a varied diet then can we streamline that a bit? If the only goal is to make me pay more for happiness then why not just give me a "Provisions Budget" slider, tie the cost to Stewardship or something, and be done with it?

- Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a really hard time picking up useful information from the message scroll on the bottom left of the screen. Can we set it up so that it's easier to spot the stuff that affects to me among all the stuff that doesn't? At some point yesterday I was voted King of Vlandia and I didn't even notice.

Yup, its the 1.5.10 experience.
Some have this problems and some not.

why the hell they removed option to buy cheap horses from peasants.
I was buying cheap horses from peasants then i was slaudering them to gain meat and skin, first they nerfed the skin gain to 0 why? now they are totaly deleting a game mechanic from the game, what a game changer. made sp more empty for me. As they are killing the reasons for interactions with peasants. It was a mini job for me as a player. Now you killed the reason to slaugter animals for me totaly.

While I'm here -

Good points. I recommend you to post them on the suggestions page in the UI section in separate threads. I previously received positive replies from the UI dev. The skill item is now implemented in the inventory screen for instance.

While I'm here -

we waited 10 years for this game. i doubt they can address your concerns in less than 10 years (but maybe there will be M&B III)

Just play the 1.5.8 with mods, it fulfill all your needs, the last version allways come with fails, and it's only for those one who like to have frustrations.

This one is a known bug and they're working on fixing it.

Then suddenly - IIRC it was right after the patch before last - my menus all take forever to open and the campaign map is stuttering. I heard that the most recent patch fixed that, but not for me.
This is also a known issue (obviously since they tried to fix it already) and will probably take a while to ferret out. Performance-related problems can be caused by multiple factors so they can potentially persist even when some of their causes are fixed.

The overall UI feels outdated and clunky to me as well, especially when compared to other games that have filters, varied sorting methods, tabbed categories, right-click context menu, you name it. Things like inventory management are dull & uninspiring to players & devs, but making powerful tools to accomplish these necessary tasks is always going to be appreciated by players. If a little inspiration is needed, Divinity Original Sin 2 has a ton of inventory management QoL features to look at.

I'd recommend copying your suggestions over to the SP UI suggestions board found here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?forums/ui.701/

I want to say in general, after an update or version change, re-optimize your setting as sometimes they get put back to a default that just doesn't work well.
Also put game on a SSD.
For the old horses, Idunno I think they're aiming to de-exploit the game, it just seems weird because they get a lot of small fixes/nerfs but some of the big ones are more complicated (like smithing) so they remain. However deliver the herd quests still work and are even fixed so you can just tell the npc "I keep the hurd" and go grab another one, before it would often bug and remove the horses anyways, making you have to sell them and run the timer out to profit..

This was already annoying, it has become worse ^^^^

I have a SSD and a 4,000$ gaming PC Computer and my lag is horrible.

If devs want players to have diversity in the tiers of troops they have, I imagine it might be a change to tone down exp farming at the end of the battle? For cavalry and ranged mainly, which makes sense. Infantry cannot catch up to fleeing troops anyway. So maybe it's a cavalry/archer nerf (archer nerf was especially needed) and making infantry a little better indirectly

This will be addressed in the upcoming patches. Being able to sort the encyclopedia lists will come with the upcoming patch, this will come some time after that.

Favourites currently only affect the placement in the encyclopedia list. I would imagine you want to de-select them on the list itself. I can bring it up internally.

I don't get what you mean by this, can you elaborate?

I can bring up the "food filter" internally.

I'm going to bring up a suggestion internally to add a new feed to the log panel. Additional to the current "All", there would be a "Favourites" tab and that feed would only show logs for the favourited items in the encyclopedia. That would mean you would favourite settlements, heroes, clans and kingdoms that you care about and see logs only for those items(we essentially show the history feed for those items anyway but for every encyclopedia entry in the game).

For me things went to hell after 1.5.9. I was hoping .10 would help, but it really didn't.
I don't get what you mean by this, can you elaborate?
Absolutely. What I'm saying is that it would be really handy to have basically 2 inventories -

#1 would be for for the stuff I intend to keep and/or restock like a set amount of food, weapons and armor for sieges and/or companions, pack animals, horses for my troops, and war horses for upgrades.

#2 would be for trade goods, battlefield loot (which is 99% vendor trash), and other odds and ends that I intend to sell.

As things currently stand the handful of items I want to keep get lost in the deluge of trash. That wouldn't be a big deal if inventory management was an occasional task, but in Bannerlord you're constantly buying and selling trade goods and after every battle you get dozens of pieces of vendor trash. It means that if you want to save some stuff you have to look carefully through the list every time you go to sell, and after a while it gets to be a chore.

The food is another issue, since it's both a constant requirement and a trade good. IIRC there are 8-10 edible items - grain, fish, olives, grapes, dates, meat, wine, beer, and possibly oil and salt - and they're all constantly changing value and jumping all around the trade goods list. If I want to raise, Leadership or Stewardship or something, I need maximum variety for the morale boost, but those are also some of the better trade goods so I want to be buying and selling them too.

In a perfect world there'd be a tab for all the stuff we wanted to keep and it would include a "Buy Provisions" button that would fill each food item up to a set number. That way if we stipulated that we wanted 10 of every food item in stock at all times we could go to town, click "Buy Provisions" and get a message saying "Buy grain (3), cheese (4), wine (1), grapes (3), fish (7) for 317 denars? Yes/No." One click shopping with the option to back out and do it manually - perfect.

A third issue, since I have your attention, is that the encyclopedia dead ends on each character. That means that if you want to look through the companions list, for example, you have to do the following:

Heroes > Companion 1 > Heroes > Companion 2 > Heroes > Companion 3...

Why can't we just go to Heroes then scroll through the companions, as in:

Heroes > Companion 1 > Companion 2 > Companion 3 > Companion 4...

All in all I love this game, but there are a ton of places where the UI could be streamlined to make it less clicky and easier to navigate.

BTW, I know there's a "lock" feature in the inventory, but I just tested it and it doesn't seem to work - I just sold 3 items, one of which was "locked" and the sale went through.

Thanks

1. Your definition of "trash" will vary depending on the state of the game. Early game armor and weapons you get might not be "trash" but later in the game most of the items you get will be worse than your current gear. And you'll probably sell those. In these cases keeping track of 2 inventories(that sentence itself is a turn off imo) would be a headache itself.

2. I, as a developer, wouldn't personally like a fast "Buy food" button because it would introduce other things to balance.
-"Fast buy food button is too expensive!"
-"Fast buy food button is too varied all I want is to buy grain!"
-"Fast buy food button is not varied enough it should use all available foods in settlement!"
etc etc
But it can certainly be a mod.

3. For encyclopedia, I already answered this.
This will be addressed in the upcoming patches. Being able to sort the encyclopedia lists will come with the upcoming patch, this will come some time after that.

4. For locking, locking an item does not prevent you from completing the transaction. It determines if the item should be transferred with "Transfer all" button or not. If it did prevented you from completing the transaction then if you had mistakenly transferred a locked item to the other side you had to either, reset the whole transaction OR had to find the locked item in a long list of items on the left side and move it back.

Last edited:
I'm going to bring up a suggestion internally to add a new feed to the log panel. Additional to the current "All", there would be a "Favourites" tab and that feed would only show logs for the favourited items in the encyclopedia. That would mean you would favourite settlements, heroes, clans and kingdoms that you care about and see logs only for those items(we essentially show the history feed for those items anyway but for every encyclopedia entry in the game).
This would be great, hope they approve! Def going to need to put in some kind of tutorial blurb mentioning this. I imagine that it would not be intuitive to someone starting that favoriting things in the encyclopedia makes it appear in your logs.

If devs want players to have diversity in the tiers of troops they have, I imagine it might be a change to tone down exp farming at the end of the battle? For cavalry and ranged mainly, which makes sense. Infantry cannot catch up to fleeing troops anyway. So maybe it's a cavalry/archer nerf (archer nerf was especially needed) and making infantry a little better indirectly
By making it so you can't control you troops lol? If that is the case it's horrible design. Thank God for mods.

Last edited:
2. I, as a developer, wouldn't personally like a fast "Buy food" button because it would introduce other things to balance.
-"Fast buy food button is too expensive!"
-"Fast buy food button is too varied all I want is to buy grain!"
-"Fast buy food button is not varied enough it should use all available foods in settlement!"
etc etc
But it can certainly be a mod.
The "fast buy food" option should be customizable. A submenu list opens when you right click the button where you can set the minimum of each food type you wish to have in your inventory/buy. Close and save. Go to town. Press "buy food" and everything up to the limits you set will be bought, as long as it's available.

Can't really complain that it's too expensive when you set it yourself.

Another way to solve the food maintenance tedium in mid to late game would be to automate it based on completely different mechanics, minimums that get filled by caravans or companion parties, but I suppose that's not really your area to comment on.

This would be great, hope they approve! Def going to need to put in some kind of tutorial blurb mentioning this. I imagine that it would not be intuitive to someone starting that favoriting things in the encyclopedia makes it appear in your logs.
I would imagine if you don't have anything favourited, the feed would say something like "Favourite items in the encyclopedia to fill this feed" etc.

Yeah, I was distracted my my life and missed #4. Thanks and glad to hear it.

A "second inventory" is perhaps not a great way to phrase it, but I was trying to be extremely clear. Think of it as being like a caravan master keeping all of his personal stuff loaded on one mule, rather than scattered across the entire caravan. I just want my own mule (but not literally).

It would really just be an additional tab in the inventory screen which contained whatever the player choose to put there. It would allow us to buy and sell whatever we wanted in the general inventory without having to pay attention to the handful of things we wanted to save.

Regarding a fast "Buy Food" button, I specified that the player would be able to set how many of each thing they wanted to keep in stock. It would be something that worked in conjunction with the "Personal Mule" concept mentioned above. As the player I would decide how much of whatever thing I wanted to keep on my "personal mule." Clicking the "Buy provisions" button would attempt to get each consumable in my personal stock to the quantity that I previously specified. Clicking the button would give the same choice that you get when trying to buy from traveling peasants - "Purchase 21 grain (6), 11 cheese (24), 3 beer (39), 1 wine (97) for 604 florins? Yes/No." And it would be optional, same as using a "personal mule."

Early on when money is tight you probably wouldn't use it. Early on your party is small, they don't eat much, and you don't have much money to spend or stuff to sort through anyway. Once you hit clan tier 3-4 and you're trying to get a varied diet to 185+ guys things get cumbersome, but by then you have plenty of cash, so the option to just click and go would be nice.

But sure, it would work as a mod too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom