Too much cavalry

Users who are viewing this thread

but in 1v1 duels infantry almost never stands a chance unless the cav either doesn't know what he's doing or the footman's range is vastly superior to the horseman's
Not really. The horseman has to have a really long lance to play the reach game, otherwise the inf always manages to rear his horse with ease.

Because you got hit and he just got dismounted, you have much more control when you're not dazed from a hard impact.and can land relatively safely.
I guess you would be a bit dazed when horse gets killed under you and you roll on the ground about 3-5 meters.
I thought this was joke comment until I read who wrote it...

I guess you would be a bit dazed when horse gets killed under you and you roll on the ground about 3-5 meters.
If you do nothing to land safely and go in headfirst, sure, but the reality is that more often than not you can group up on the way down and land just fine.

I thought this was joke comment until I read who wrote it...
It might seem like a joke if you never saw people falling from horses or getting rammed by the said horse to know the difference. Here, this might enrich you:

I play as cav pretty much all the time. It works very well for skirmish against pubs who run all over the place and gets stomped by 4 cavs, but against a coordinated group, it doesn't really stand a chance. Experienced archers and spearmen pretty much own me with their tactical awareness and excellent shots (I have never been able to frontally charge any of them without failing). I have also matched with some very elite teams, and they generally have only 1 cav on their team, even with cav strong nations like vlandia. They seem to focus far more on a coordinated infantry/archer composition. Hell, there has been multiple times where I have been one shotted by archers/javelins as a Vlandian Knight with 50 armor.
Cav can kill noobs but cav-spam against anyone with a bit of cohesion/awareness is pretty much a guaranteed fail. It's just harder to get better at infantry/archer compared to cavalry, but it certainly doesn't mean their potential is less. I suggest against putting limits on classes. I have played cav only since Warband, and I know many that have done so too. I just don't find infantry and archer combat that interesting. We each specialize in our own area, whether infantry, cav, or archer and forcing people to pick some other class just doesn't work well.

In 1v1 situations, cav also don't stand a chance against either infantry or archer if the skill levels are the same. Infantries and archers are just more mobile and can easily maneuver out of the reaches of the lance, not to mention that archers have arrows capable of disrupting an attack and infantries also have javelins/spears that are excellent for anti-cav.

I usually played Skirmish in the North America server.
There should be more punishment limited archers or crossbowmen when they are riding on a horse.
It looks they are too comfortable and still can keep accurate in shooting when riding the horse in the current version. ( Or probably I always matchmaking to some high-level players, bad luck.)

Last edited:
Not really. The horseman has to have a really long lance to play the reach game, otherwise the inf always manages to rear his horse with ease.
Not all cav units do. The horseman can easily gallop out of danger as well, don't see how trying to stab their horse in the back helps much.
and: "or the footman's range is vastly superior to the horseman's "

It might seem like a joke if you never saw people falling from horses or getting rammed by the said horse to know the difference. Here, this might enrich you:

Okay I see where you are coming from, but then again, we come back to old dilemma. Realism or balance. It's currently pretty unfair to actually punish a player who just lost his horse because he can land further from guy who downed him and block immediately when he stops rolling.

I might be okay be with this if there was a friendly bumb so lone inf man wouldn't be always on the losing end when cav knocks him over and his friends just stand there and end him. Or just give inf same chance to block as downed cav.

Okay I see where you are coming from, but then again, we come back to old dilemma. Realism or balance. It's currently pretty unfair to actually punish a player who just lost his horse because he can land further from guy who downed him and block immediately when he stops rolling.

I might be okay be with this if there was a friendly bumb so lone inf man wouldn't be always on the losing end when cav knocks him over and his friends just stand there and end him. Or just give inf same chance to block as downed cav.
I was for the friendly bumps since forever. The friendly inf is way too oblivious for friendly cavalry atm and it's detrimental for both. For inf because it discourages teamplay, for cav because it increases chances of teamkilling since inf is so happy to spin around in the melee instead of trying to work with cav and position himself the way that the enemy gets bumped/stabbed.

I played a game yesterday with 11 heavy cavalry and me; it was the absolute worst. I don't care how good you think your situational awareness is or your aural perception, there's no way you can keep track of 11 horses and determine which are friendly and even if you have a spear to deal with them; good luck when you're getting sandwiched from 4 sides.

So some more restriction to keep the risk/reward of cav in check would be nice; either by limiting the amount of cav or upping the cost (so you can have only one cav life) and if the rearing can get a fix that would be nice too, it's pretty frustrating stabbing the horse in the eye for 100 dmg only to get trampled and railed in your stun lock.

I play as cav pretty much all the time. It works very well for skirmish against pubs who run all over the place and gets stomped by 4 cavs, but against a coordinated group, it doesn't really stand a chance. Experienced archers and spearmen pretty much own me with their tactical awareness and excellent shots (I have never been able to frontally charge any of them without failing). I have also matched with some very elite teams, and they generally have only 1 cav on their team, even with cav strong nations like vlandia. They seem to focus far more on a coordinated infantry/archer composition. Hell, there has been multiple times where I have been one shotted by archers/javelins as a Vlandian Knight with 50 armor.
Cav can kill noobs but cav-spam against anyone with a bit of cohesion/awareness is pretty much a guaranteed fail. It's just harder to get better at infantry/archer compared to cavalry, but it certainly doesn't mean their potential is less. I suggest against putting limits on classes. I have played cav only since Warband, and I know many that have done so too. I just don't find infantry and archer combat that interesting. We each specialize in our own area, whether infantry, cav, or archer and forcing people to pick some other class just doesn't work well.

In 1v1 situations, cav also don't stand a chance against either infantry or archer if the skill levels are the same. Infantries and archers are just more mobile and can easily maneuver out of the reaches of the lance, not to mention that archers have arrows capable of disrupting an attack and infantries also have javelins/spears that are excellent for anti-cav.

Agreed. Cav can potentially be countered by every other class in the game and is no where near as strong as some players make it out to be. The one area I can agree with is if the opposing team picks 100% cav it can get a bit crazy, but really just because it's unlikely for 100% of one team to predict the counter. The same can be said for playing against 100% archer, peasants, etc.

I think they can't get a working cavalry A.I. and so they overcompensate with the numbers. But when you get into multiplayer, it is disastrous. The most viable strategy I've found is to play cav, hold your A.I. in reserve, and just mess with the A.I. as a player and use your other reserve cav as your many lives. This makes for a boring drawn out game. I thought I'd just get toxicity if I lobby'd for better spear-cav damage or mechanics, but I guess I'm not alone... They should be losing all momentum when they charge head on and there should almost always be a free hit involved. Cavalry should never charge infantry head on and be successful.

Keep in mind that strategy is for Captains mode only and not the other 3 game game modes currently. Also, anyone who has played for more than a few hours would quickly come to the realisation that while leaving your unit AFK might make your personal K/D ratio better (compared to a newer player that typically suicides their cav in the first 60 seconds) it is does little to nothing to actually help the team. You're essentially making the game 5v6 by doing that and will lose most matches.

I don't think they will look into mp in EA period while most of the players focusing on singleplayer (sadly)

Not true at all. Not sure why folks keep expecting the worse and typing these gloomy messages but there's even a recent update regarding multiplayer stickied in this forum. Let me link it for you: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/statement-regarding-plans-for-mp.421864/

This.

On smaller individual engagements spears can counter cav just fine but with formation combat in Singleplayer and Captain mode it's a different story. Cavalry is way too overpowered against spearmen and just walks through any formation, no matter how tight or deep. They really should get mucked up by a good spear formation and only be able to charge through so many people without stopping. Then, they should make ramming and trampling someone with your horse much, much more powerful. Perhaps only in Singleplayer and maybe Captain mode though, as with PVP I can see that being way too powerful.

Defending the last flag on siege is a 2 hander and cavalry spam session that is just annoying. its not even skill required, its just chaos. MP has too many issues but the cavalry numbers in siege need to be reduced. That or make the maps actually block cavalry fully when on flag G for all maps.

On smaller individual engagements spears can counter cav just fine but with formation combat in Singleplayer and Captain mode it's a different story. ...
Regarding Captain Mode.
If you have spears just press F1,F3 when you see the cavalry incoming, also use Line Formation (unless they are archers) - solved

Defending the last flag on siege is a 2 hander and cavalry spam session that is just annoying. its not even skill required, its just chaos. MP has too many issues but the cavalry numbers in siege need to be reduced. That or make the maps actually block cavalry fully when on flag G for all maps.
Friendly fire and friendly bump would fix that. No need to limit anything.

Friendly fire and friendly bump would fix that. No need to limit anything.
I agree with the fixes you mentioned but still imo lose the fun with horses running back and forth as they just knock you over. i feel even if you add friendly fire, online players will still charge into groups knocking down both teams and getting kills. I dont see players caring if you are getting kills, and its online so toxic gameplay is in the making. "get out of the way" or "don't be a peasant, get a horse" comments will surely be dropped as people get mad at being team killed all the time. Maybe the game counters with making cavalry cost a lot more and giving a "last flag defense" bonus so you aren't just a peasant after dying 3 times in a row without a kill because you are just trying to get on the flag at all cost.
I understand that strategy needs to be involved and teamwork is key to counter but that rare at the moment with non customized servers.

Last edited:
>does this
>horse doesn't stop
>gets couched

or

>stop one horse
>get couched by another

That's a problem of stacks though mostly. They're specifically using cav and following each other. Yes, it's disgusting. There should be a matchmaking queue which doesn't take into account steam friends and that would solve a lot more than just cav. (Oh and please make it so that matchmaking can also be used for TDM since I find it ridiculous how my TDM wins aren't counted).

I must say though, for a community full of hard men who are 1000000+ levels above everyone's skill you do know your way around whining when there's an obstacle. Be it that you can't turn into some over-specialized ninja which has a weapon and gear for every eventuality or in this case cav.

And guess who are the first to tell you "the game shouldn't be realistic, dude. How dumb of you to suggest something like that" but then "why does my lance upon first scratch from any angle not kill a horse? Shouldn't it at least go crazy from pain and throw off it's rider?" Really hilarious.

And please now get ready for me to get gangbanged by multiple 1000000+ levels (forum and in-game skill) higher than me including but not limited to personal attacks in 3.. 2.. 1..:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom