SP - General Too big focus on leveling your troops

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sorry but that's not realistic at all, in real life preparation and training is what improves skill not fighting better opponents, what you saying is true for non death matches but not war for that you train train train :smile:
In real life there is a cap on how good you can get by fighting dummies or really weak fighters. Killing people who are really weak with little to no training (looters) won't help you when you are already better then them. In other words, you have nothing left to learn at some point. You are not going to learn how to fight in a stressful life or death battle unless you actually fight in them. Have you ever heard of the term "Battled-Hardened" that's what makes elite soldiers ELITE. They have killed trained enemies in stressful life or death situations many times. It does not make sense that you can be an elite soldier by only fighting pathetic bandits.
I play competitive tf2, and my team only gets better when we play team that are slightly better then use. Destroying terrible teams does nothing for us.

Once you're a king, the recruits should come to you, rather than you having to go from village to village to collect a few men, just like how now you don't have to manually collect tax from villages.

1. Build encampment, this act as the gathering point. Castles will do also. This affects how many recruits can be trained and leveled up in parallel. At the moment skills like raise the meek increase exp in a pool which is the same as adding exp for only one person in a stack.

2. Have recruits come to your camp, the rate is based on your renounce and influence, or order companions to go to the villages to spread the words, and/or companions collect the recruits for you (though, this kind of can be done already by forming parties and let them run around for a while and then form army to gather them back). Recruiting troops as a king or a famous arena champion would feel very different than when you're still a nobody having to go from village to village yourself begging for recruit.

3. Train fresh recruit in your camp up one or two tiers, the leveling cost can be much higher than leveling from battles as now you're providing them the equipment yourself. It's quite off putting when literally your men can't carry shields unless they first go gut some looters.

4. From then on the soldiers will have to be blooded, by fighting in real battles to become veteran.

5. Different cultures can have different leveling caps from training for different units, or even unique additional ways of conducting training, imagine Vladian can train horsemen one tier higher/train faster than other cultures by conducting jousts. Aserai allow using prisoners as training dummies for large exp boost, or turn prisoners into Mamluk soldiers. Sturgians apart from normal training also allow pitting your own men against each other in duels, kill/wound/demote the other for instance level up to veteran. Battanians have the training rate increased based on the number of veteran/nobles units in your party. Imperial is more streamlined in training and can train infantry one tier higher, look at the current troop tree it's already Recruit-> Infantryman -> Trained infantryman. Finally, Khuzaits no training camp, can only level up by fighting real battles but can sacrifice prisoners to increase exp rate from battles. I think it would also give different feels and more depth to different cultures.

Last edited:
Once you're a king, the recruits should come to you, rather than you having to go from village to village to collect a few men, just like how now you don't have to manually collect tax from villages.

1. Build encampment, this act as the gathering point. Castles will do also. This affects how many recruits can be trained and leveled up in parallel. At the moment skills like raise the meek increase exp in a pool which is the same as adding exp for only one person in a stack.

2. Have recruits come to your camp, the rate is based on your renounce and influence, or order companions to go to the villages to spread the words, and/or companions collect the recruits for you (though, this kind of can be done already by forming parties and let them run around for a while and then form army to gather them back). Recruiting troops as a king or a famous arena champion would feel very different than when you're still a nobody having to go from village to village yourself begging for recruit.

3. Train fresh recruit in your camp up one or two tiers, the leveling cost can be much higher than leveling from battles as now you're providing them the equipment yourself. It's quite off putting when literally your men can't carry shields unless they first go gut some looters.

4. From then on the soldiers will have to be blooded, by fighting in real battles to become veteran.

5. Different cultures can have different leveling caps from training for different units, or even unique additional ways of conducting training, imagine Vladian can train horsemen one tier higher/train faster than other cultures by conducting jousts. Aserai allow using prisoners as training dummies for large exp boost, or turn prisoners into Mamluk soldiers. Sturgians apart from normal training also allow pitting your own men against each other in duels, kill/wound/demote the other for instance level up to veteran. Battanians have the training rate increased based on the number of veteran/nobles units in your party. Imperial is more streamlined in training and can train infantry one tier higher, look at the current troop tree it's already Recruit-> Infantryman -> Trained infantryman. Finally, Khuzaits no training camp, can only level up by fighting real battles but can sacrifice prisoners to increase exp rate from battles. I think it would also give different feels and more depth to different cultures.
You should make this a seperate thread.

I don't know about the fifth suggestion though lol.

Replying to the 1st post and not the replies derailing the thread from the main issue that we all face which is training troops.

Yes it's a pain to level troops and I will abstain from playing until we get a proper trainer skill. I hope that update comes ASAP.

I must add, making troops more expensive and money harder to get will simply shift the focus from constantly killing looters to LVL troops for 100's of hours to grinding money for 100's of hours just to afford troops.

I don't want to kill low lvl bandits just to level my troops for most of the game nor do I want to spend all my time doing boring trading to acquire money to afford those troops. I want to play the damn game not medieval peasant training and trading simulator.

My caravans make decent money and I don't see a problem with that. If i were to do that manually I would make good money to but who wants to do nothing but trading? That's boring. Let my companions make me money. There is nothing wrong with them making money so we can get on with the game.

There are allot of issues with the game but the #1 issue that is affecting my gameplay is the lack of the Warband style trainer skill. I cannot stand to play any longer until we can train troop*S* without having to farm looters for 1000 hours. Most perks are trash and are a pain to grind. There are perks in trees not in the leadership branch that affect a party so why are they not in the leadership tree? Why must I grind a tree that I don't use or have any skill points in just to increase the effectiveness of my army? I hate this new skill tree so much.

Great points.

Leveling up should be time based. You can’t tell me that troops wouldn’t train while camped outside of a city. Just waiting should provide some xp. Right now fighting battles is the only way to gain xp and forces us to chase down super small bands of units before engaging a large force. Battle experience should be only a huge boost to xp even if units don’t fight.

Back
Top Bottom