SP - General Too big focus on leveling your troops

Users who are viewing this thread

Need to be able to make encampments, allow companions or the player or veteran troops with high combat stat to train groups of recruits. Bigger training camps mean more recruit can be trained at the same time. Higher combat stat of the player and/or companion higher training speed and level cap. So we don't have to mess with the unit trees.

Also, need a way to give orders to parties/companions in your clan, tell them to do specific things like gather recruits from nearby villages to your camp/castle, stay and defend a settlement, patrol certain area, set up training camp, fetching supplies etc...

3 rest went unconscious. Sure sometimes you can get lucky or unlucky to on the roll but it helps pretty much to have one medic along with you and all your companions medic skills included
Ive got 3 medic skill based Companions in my party 24/7 with the one with the highest skill as Surgeon and yet i see multiple deaths. So Idk what version? Or what you've got going on to get all Uncons and 3 deaths out of a probably sizable army.

So there must be something wrong in tactics or gameplay.
Trust me theirs nothing wrong in tactics.

Last edited:
Ive got 3 medic skill based Companions in my party 24/7 with the one with the highest skill as Surgeon and yet i see multiple deaths. So Idk what version? Or what you've got going on to get all Uncons and 3 deaths out of a probably sizable army.

Ive played up to 1.4 clocking 600 hours now but had to roll back to 1.3 because you can now get T3-4 troops straight from villages pretty easy without influence which for me is like cheating and felt to easy to play. Sure you can get em in 1.3 asw but not as frequent. Yeah its weird for me that youre having such a setback then .

Ive played up to 1.4 clocking 600 hours now but had to roll back to 1.3 because you can now get T3-4 troops straight from villages pretty easy without influence which for me is like cheating and felt to easy to play. Sure you can get em in 1.3 asw but not as frequent. Yeah its weird for me that youre having such a setback then .
Huh I'm on 1.3 too like 500 hours or so now. Odd yeah I think her skill is like 100 something. Most the troops that get hurt in battles end up actually dieing for me i get at least 3 deaths a battle usually more since the AI are seeming to have less And less recruits And higher tier troops And it's a pain to keep up with a ever dwindling Shield wall to protect my Ranged troops. One point I got down to 15-20 infantry with shields so most ended up being Infantry recruits and like 1/4 lived every battle. It would be nice to have some help recruiting and training even if it costs me a lot of money and Castles/Towns don't seem to upgrade for me if theirs 2 paths or a Horse needed so that's out of the ways to do it for me.

Huh I'm on 1.3 too like 500 hours or so now. Odd yeah I think her skill is like 100 something. Most the troops that get hurt in battles end up actually dieing for me i get at least 3 deaths a battle usually more since the AI are seeming to have less And less recruits And higher tier troops And it's a pain to keep up with a ever dwindling Shield wall to protect my Ranged troops. One point I got down to 15-20 infantry with shields so most ended up being Infantry recruits and like 1/4 lived every battle. It would be nice to have some help recruiting and training even if it costs me a lot of money and Castles/Towns don't seem to upgrade for me if theirs 2 paths or a Horse needed so that's out of the ways to do it for me.

3 deaths a battle is nothing when it comes to larger battles. You always have people under who will replace those pretty soon and well worth the sacrifice. I just had a 60 man Berserker team killing off 165 Imperials. And only lost like 5 Ulfhednars and couple of Bererkers with a pretty much **** medic. Was a really good trade since they had many good forces lost in that one and i got replacements from the skills + a lot of denars.

If you want your archers to hit good on their shielded units order em on the sides but then have some split troops with spears or cav guarding em if they have cav ofc :smile:

Last edited:
3 deaths a battle is nothing when it comes to larger battles. You always have people under who will replace those pretty soon and well worth the sacrifice. I just had a 60 man Berserker team killing off 165 Imperials. And only lost like 5 Ulfhednars and couple of Bererkers with a pretty much **** medic
Not really. I've been working with nothing but t4 and t5 infantry i capture so 3 or more deaths a battle is rough when a battle happens every day or more than once a day. And Infantry is the only thing keeping enemy troops from your ranged.(I only have like 29 t3-t6 Cav)
One I lost my only 4 Imperial t5 infantry in the span of 20 seconds when they clashed into my wall causing more casualties than necesary that then led to a string of battles trying to get back to my Castle which lead to me only having a couple Shielded troops and to many recruits.
Which then led to me grinding Recruits back up into suitable troops by fighting Looters and bandits. Some of the most tedious And grindy fights

Wait, does # of medics matter? I always thought it was just the designated Surgeon that determined the wounded-vs-dead save rate.

Not really. I've been working with nothing but t4 and t5 infantry i capture so 3 or more deaths a battle is rough when a battle happens every day or more than once a day. And Infantry is the only thing keeping enemy troops from your ranged.(I only have like 29 t3-t6 Cav)
One I lost my only 4 Imperial t5 infantry in the span of 20 seconds when they clashed into my wall causing more casualties than necesary that then led to a string of battles trying to get back to my Castle which lead to me only having a couple Shielded troops and to many recruits.

But off course bigger wars are never easy but the rewards can be big, Sure sometimes im pissed at bad AI commanders or stupid **** that happens on the battlefield. But to me its nothing if i loose some T5 units since i know i can get em pretty easy back. But ofc if were talking about expensive cav units well thats another story ^^ Not like money is a biggie later on anyways though

Last edited:
Wait, does # of medics matter? I always thought it was just the designated Surgeon that determined the wounded-vs-dead save rate.

Could be only the designated surgeon to but that 0.9 procent doesnt add up in the results im getting with or without him from what im seeing., But pls correct me if im wrong

But off course bigger wars are never easy but the rewards can be big, Sure sometimes im pissed at bad AI commanders or stupid **** that happens on the battlefield. But to me its nothing if i loose some T5 units since i know i can get em pretty easy back. But ofc if were talking about expensive cav units well thats another story ^^ Not like money is a biggie later on though
Wasn't even a big war just a tiny squabble with Battania where only one castle was taken(by me AI didn't even attempt to help and I had to pay 300 influence to have a chance to even get it even tho I was the only one their) and only about 400-500(Usually in the thousands at least in this playthrough and others) on each side died before peace was made like 2 weeks later.
I used to do caravans but I tried that this time and they all got murdered like a week in.

Wasn't even a big war just a tiny squabble with Battania where only one castle was taken(by me AI didn't even attempt to help and I had to pay 300 influence to have a chance to even get it even tho I was the only one their) and only about 400-500(Usually in the thousands at least in this playthrough and others) on each side died before peace was made like 2 weeks later.
I used to do caravans but I tried that this time and they all got murdered like a week in.

lol know that feeling and sometimes that peace comes way to early to. Like they are letting the enemy in to cap one important castle then your allies comes around the corner with 1.5k men to take it back (or sometimes taking an unimportant castle instead on the other side of the map) then make peace suddenly with siege equipment all built. Doesnt happens often but when it does im seriously thinking of switching to work for another faction or taking over it myself

Last edited:
lol know that feeling and sometimes that peace comes way to early to. Like they are letting the enemy in to cap one important castle then your allies comes around the corner with 1.5k men to take it back (sometimes taking an unimportant castle instead on the other side of the map) then make peace suddenly with siege equipment all built. Doesnt happens often but when it does im seriously thinking of switching to work for another faction or taking over it myself
They didn't even have the decency to do that. They all where except Liena prancing and galavanting around in the interior of the Kingdom Derthert had almost all the Vassales gathering and patrolling near Orcs Hall (Uxkhal) and Praven as I lead the fight on the Enemy thinking theyd march up to help with their like 1.7k troops. The battle where I lost those Legionairs was going to the rescue of Lienas like 60 Troops sourounded by a army of 200-230 was a pretty even fight but lead to to many Infantry deaths after wards. (I'm not even sure where the other casualties on our side came from other than my Infantry recruits in the battles of me/Liena in my army now trying to reach Pendraic Castle)

They didn't even have the decency to do that. They all where except Liena prancing and galavanting around in the interior of the Kingdom Derthert had almost all the Vassales gathering and patrolling near Orcs Hall (Uxkhal) and Praven as I lead the fight on the Enemy thinking theyd march up to help with their like 1.7k troops. The battle where I lost those Legionairs was going to the rescue of Lienas like 60 Troops sourounded by a army of 200-230 was a pretty even fight but lead to to many Infantry deaths after wards. (I'm not even sure where the other casualties on our side came from other than my Infantry recruits in the battles of me/Liena in my army now trying to reach Pendraic Castle)

yeah i never trust the AI Commanders. They also like to suicide march you in to harms way. Its why i usually only march beside em and waiting for the right moment except if were extracting back home at times,But even then im on the toes constantly because they like to suicide flip back and towards the larger enemy groups until their reinforcements come and screw the whole army. We been addressing this for a long time so lets hope they are gonna improve their behavior later....

To be mentioned xD I was so pumped for that battle but nope they totally dissed that commander

Last edited:
How about troops level up faster depending on how difficult the battle is and how much higher leveled the enemies are. So i'm thinking that taking on large groups of bandits or small lords could be a viable way to level troops, if you are good enough with tactics. And if you win a battle that was not in your favor then your men will level up by a lot. It's also very realistic, in real life you don't get better by slaughtering kids, you get better by defeating people who are better then you. And being in intense and dangerous situations will toughen you up.
But also if you make building armies easier then you might need to make losing your whole army a bit more punishing.

I'm sorry but that's not realistic at all, in real life preparation and training is what improves skill not fighting better opponents, what you saying is true for non death matches but not war for that you train train train :smile:

I do agree about the too much focus on leveling though and early/mid game could do with alternative ways of leveling troop. Later in the game picking up T3's is actually pretty easy with the right policies.

but

Personally I would like the option to send men off to train, you would still have to pay their wages and a bit extra for the training but they would come back as T3 units and could be held in reserve to refill when you get wiped. Obviously they would need to adjust how long lords stay prisoners(including yourself). While your main character is imprisoned you could play as wife/companion, a quest/set scenario to break free would be awesome(night time raid climbing over walls come to mind).

Sorry straying a bit off topic but so much this game could do :smile:

This is not an original idea of mine, but it’s worth saying again given recent conversation: Castles could / should be used as special (more robust than cities) recruitment + training centers. There may be no need for encampments per se.

I actually use the (configurable) Improved Garrisons mod to use castles to do a lot of what we’re talking about. Just put the settings in a place you can afford, and you can use any settlement as an auto recruitment center to trade $ for higher quality troop replacements.

Last edited:
just my own thought, maybe it has been brought already but in my opinion :
There should be two leveling phase in my opinion in a a troop carreers and we have an hint on what it should be in the name itselft of the ingame troops :
I think we (and other ai lords) should be able to level them faster from recruit to tiers 3 (wich are generally named "troopsname_trained" ) while in castle or in training field or a little slower with a trainer perk (that should lie in leadership and something quite early at level 50 or 75) but we shouldn't be able to train them any higher, higher troop tiers should only accessible by soldiers that have survive battle, as tiers4 generally are named "troopsname_veteran" it should make sense, that wouls allow us to see better units with us and against us aswell, and i think there should be aside to that maybe recruiter in our fief that may recruit and train unit to tiers 3 for us in exchange for money (2 time more than regular recruiting) and high wage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom