To the developers about NFT usage

Users who are viewing this thread

People need to stop trying to force NFTs as a solution to non-existent problems, and instead try to find a problem actually in need of a solution and see if NFTs are applicable. When they discover the answer is "no", they can hopefully get most of their money back and go do something productive.

Let's not forget that crypto in its current form just burns through endless resources to solve an issue that nobody has and was made an issue by absolutely nobody but people looking to sell their weird crypto backed art or looking for value for the crypto backed art they got scammed into buying.

"Put my name on this list so everyone knows I own this specific asset" - something already solved with a 2 step verification email attached to an account, but thanks to Crypto requires an insane amount of energy that a simple list on a database does not. Just a weirdly useless practice that should've stayed mostly for silk road drug purchases and never been lauded as the next perfectly un-regulated market for a handful of people to get extremely rich.

Games don't need NFTs. We have dedicated communities of modders which love the games they mod for and want to see their dreams come true. Modding is hardly ever a cash grab like NFT implementation is, but if a game puts in NFTs then you know they do not care about players only about money. The devs create tools in order to make their own assets and go to school for years for this, they have no need for crowdsourced assets like a team of 3 devs on unreal engine would.

If you want to have your NFT asset used in a game you can pay a modder to implement it, if you want to use game assets to sell as NFTs then you should go learn how to create game assets and sell them as your own NFTs inspired by bannerlord. Both of these options keep arguably the worst idea to ever grace the forums from hopefully being mentioned ever again.

Adding NFTs would be less useful to the overall state of the game than adding a new pair of gloves and boots (I've got mods to do that though).

Last edited:
I read through this thread.
I'm well informed on NFTs, and cryptocurrencies before them.
I've also got a few friends that are bugging me about inflation, and me not owning any crypto, but like, can I buy groceries, and daily necessities with crypto? No. Can I get a better paid job by owning crypto? No.
So, that's my answer.

And I also don't see any value in having a random piece of digital code, that marks that I own a random piece of digital Spanish nyan cat. Can I show it to my friends? Yes. Can I show it to my parents? Yes, but then they'd ask what's wrong with me. Can I show it to a random new person I just met? Yes, but then they'd ask what's wrong with me, and move on.

Basically, owning NFTs gives me no social status, doesn't make me cool with the kids, and won't get me a date, nor will it boost my social credit score, so what is the point?

Finally, the whole NFT angle on scene making is just pointless. If the company is willing to pay for scene makers to make some scenes, there are many different channels through which they can do so. They can outsource it, have a scene maker competition with the best getting monetary reimbursement. or they can just ask the community to contribute for free (scummy, but some people would do it for free). Again, why do you need it to be an NFT? What's the advantage of it being an NFT?

Back
Top Bottom