To make noble recruitment a bit harder, noble troops should only be recruitable from the 3rd or 4th recruitment slot and onwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
It's ridiculously easy to recruit noble troops that its ease makes recruiting non noble troops harder. Although I agree that noble recruitment is miles better now compared to when the game first released into EA, it can be much better. My solution is keeping everything mostly the same and only changing the availability of noble troops offered by the notable from the 1st slot to 3rd or 4th slot and onwards. This simple change would make completing quests and increasing relations with castle village notables much more crucial to the gaming experience.

If TW (or a modder) wants players to not use so many they need to go about it with a new mechanic or rule, like noble ONLY for land owner (or even vassal/ruler?) and make nobles un recruit able from prisoners or turn into a different troops when recruited this way. Or too many t6 troops and they start to desert unless you're X clan rank. Just reducing them will only make it harder for noobs to get them but players who know what's what will still tank up on them. I always had them fast even when they were rare. I did not raise relations with quests over and over to get them either....

Ananda has a point. Id rather see noble troops tied to factions , you cant get vlandian banner knights if you are a lord of battania or sturgia ect ... Also to help with factions getting destroyed , increase the chance of ai lords getting these noble troops if they start losing land. Vlandia has only 2 fiefs out of the original 23? now they have 90% chance of having noble troops. Thus stronger elite armies for a last desperate push for a losing faction. Maybe buff the noble units as well.

I agree that we shouldn't be able to recruit noble units different to our kingdom's culture at all or at least make it much rarer if our kingdom's culture is different to the fief culture. I really don't agree with your 2nd suggestion tho, finishing off factions is already rare enough, no need to make it even more miserable. 1.8 finally made it so that being at war taxes a faction's recruitment pool's quality heavily, so even though the faction usually remakes a 1000men army again, it mostly consists of tier 1-2 units. By making the ai lords cheat out noble units, it will make the game just more tedious, and artificially inflate the losing faction's power (remember all noble units start at tier 2).

I have been asking about this for months maybe a year at this point. No luck brother. They never even replied.
I gave up

If you read the above post you will see a little section on "European Mercenaries" willing to be employed by Muslim lords with the blessing of their Kings & priests....

So, maybe it is not so far fetched that noble troops will enlist with any lord.

For the sake of the game, however, I totally agree. I would like to see a scenario where you are not able to recruit any noble or high tier troops from a faction, unless you are a sworn vassal of that faction. So then the only troops of that faction you could recruit would be recruits (who don't care where their next meal comes from), or converted prisoners who fall under your captivating spell (aka brainwashed)

For my taste higher tier foreign troops should be left to mercenaries. Mercenaries are underused in the game because it is so easy to recruit from conquered lands.

It should only be possible to press normal population into service for a certain time. Such troops should not develop into T4/T5 units. After a time fiefs should change culture and culture troops of the new owner should become available. Because in the real world of course conquerors could recruit from the native population, but usually the latter, especially the nobility, changed there style of fighting and adjusted it towards the new ruling culture. Such a system would deny the possibility to use the best troops of each culture together if coupled with the inability to recruit from foreign culture fiefs if a vassal.

Will not happen, as it is not doable with the current tier system. Cultural change of fiefs could also add new problems of it's own to the game, like aggravating snowball effects. Who knows? I wonder how it will play out in mods which have it (like The Old Realms).

If you read the above post you will see a little section on "European Mercenaries" willing to be employed by Muslim lords with the blessing of their Kings & priests....

So, maybe it is not so far fetched that noble troops will enlist with any lord.

For the sake of the game, however, I totally agree. I would like to see a scenario where you are not able to recruit any noble or high tier troops from a faction, unless you are a sworn vassal of that faction. So then the only troops of that faction you could recruit would be recruits (who don't care where their next meal comes from), or converted prisoners who fall under your captivating spell (aka brainwashed)
Historically empires most definitely employ warriors from different cultures and religions. Hell, just look at the Ottoman Empire where christian "Greek" commanders occupied many if not most of the highest positions in the imperial navy and many Sipahis were christian. I'm suggesting a limitation in Noble troops being only hireable by same culture kingdoms as a gameplay suggestion to make the kingdom culture choice meaningful. Although I agree that limiting the player choice in recruiting troops is far from ideal so I would say that my original suggestion is much more feasible for gameplay purposes.

To have any reasonable change in terms of noble troops availability, game design needs to be changed. The way how it treats ranking within feudal society. Now we have a gimmick in clan level based on parallel game currency=> renown. Clan level must equal to your rank in feudal hierarchy. => you need to be vassal.

You start at bottom as lord of the smallest fief possible => village. There can be option at the beginning of the game to start directly on this level or you can go harder way to earn vassalage. Or easy way > marry into the existing clan 😁
You raise on the feudal hierarchy, you become baron (castle), but you need to appoint your own vassals to take over village fiefs. And so on and so on to count (town), duke (few towns) and king at the end if you drive for it.
Each level will give you access to more noble troops whose number is connected with number of fieves. Like one village can give you 5 knights or such. This basic value can be then extended with village upgrades and perks.
So as example, as baron, you could muster your own personal retinue => companions + 3x5 knights from 3 villages connected with that castle.

Back
Top Bottom