To devs: An easy way to improve MP control response significantly (pls correct me if my guess is wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

@AVRC
Firstly thank you for your hard work! It's a great game.
===========
Long story short: increase the FPS

Back in the day in M&B, I am very sure the user input of M&B is impacted by the limitation of FPS. It's weird but it's true.

If you set the FPS to 60 HZ(or turn on the V-Sync), even though you have a very low ping(to me it was 20ish), you can still barely block because your character will not be responding to your input on time. Doable but hard for me(my nerve reflex was around 0.2 - 0.25 seconds 5 years ago).
Because the game receives the user input frame by frame.
Before the testing, I assumed that there is a "display frame" and a "logical frame" to separate display and user input, but I was wrong. The display frame was the logical frame(in M&B). They are the same.

Now we have Banner Lord.
I don't know if BL follows the same rule with M&B.
Recently I bought a new monitor has 165HZ limitation. Then I found that the FPS option in settings magically extended to 164HZ. And of course, I will choose the highest one. And then you know what? The game responses to my input again!!
After months of sticky feelings, it now feels like M&B character controlling again!

Recently Nvidia released a new update, seems it also improves the user input responding.
I don't know which helps. The new update or the new monitor. I did both on the same day.
===========
If it's relevant might be we can just let users choose the FPS what they want instead of limited options?

Last edited:
This is not really my place to answer this stuff but I will give it a shot anyway...

I don't know the technical inner workings but it is a widely known fact that V-sync causes input delay, I am assuming it is worse for lower refresh rates.
I think you wouldn't have any problems if you played on your 60hz monitor with V-sync turned off.

VSync should never be used from the game options. Vsync only works well and without input delay if you force it along with Gsync on your GPU's control program (I use Nvidia Control Panel). After having set Gsync and Vsync on the control panel for a game, you need to cap the FPS, 4 fps BELOW your maximum. I use a 144hz monitor, so I cap at 140. That way, your monitor cannot cause input delay because it won't render more frames than the cap. You need to have a relatively stable FPS, without dropping more than 20 fps.

VSync should never be used from the game options. Vsync only works well and without input delay if you force it along with Gsync on your GPU's control program (I use Nvidia Control Panel). After having set Gsync and Vsync on the control panel for a game, you need to cap the FPS, 4 fps BELOW your maximum. I use a 144hz monitor, so I cap at 140. That way, your monitor cannot cause input delay because it won't render more frames than the cap. You need to have a relatively stable FPS, without dropping more than 20 fps.
Why cap it at 140? Just curious because I recently got 144hz monitor, and set cap to 144fps, I rarely drop more then 20 at once. Not using Vsync.

Warband was feeling much better at 120fps even at 60Hz monitor compared to 60fps, Vsync off of course.

I have a super-computer and the only frames I drop are usually indicative of an incoming server crash or a packet loss spike... Warband may appear smoother because a great number of even mid-range PC's can run Warband at 200+ FPS,... And even with a 60hz monitor, having a higher framerate in-game makes the game appear smoother as the higher frames appear to make the game "blend better"..

Why cap it at 140? Just curious because I recently got 144hz monitor, and set cap to 144fps, I rarely drop more then 20 at once. Not using Vsync.

Warband was feeling much better at 120fps even at 60Hz monitor compared to 60fps, Vsync off of course.

The input lag can be caused either by unstable frame drops or frame variables, or if you achieve more fps than your monitor rendering. In order to battle this, capping the fps 4-5 fps BELOW your monitor refresh rate decreased the possible input delay dramatically. This method fights Gsync/Vsync input delay.

In short, input delay on sync can be caused by drops and by over-rendering frames.

Back
Top Bottom