TML Submod 1.21 for Brytenwalda 1.40 (Updated 11/27/2012)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not very old I guess.
I started playing like 2-3 weeks ago so I always used the newest version.

Gamewise I am around ~375 days in and my Kingdom is getting bigger and bigger (just killed off those dirty east engla guys and took their last city! :smile: ).

I would like to have the same `double click a item and it gos to top` as in the wagon train menu, for the normal char menu  :grin:

TML or anyone can point me in the right direction and I'll give it a go myself first

thx

Magelord, how would i go about removing the morale penalty that occurs when retreating battle?  It's absolutely ridiculous to lose 50 morale for retreating 2 seconds into a battle only to find better ground.

EDIT: Hell, you would think your men would appreciate you finding better ground. (to keep more of them alive!)

Deis said:
Magelord, how would i go about removing the morale penalty that occurs when retreating battle?  It's absolutely ridiculous to lose 50 morale for retreating 2 seconds into a battle only to find better ground.

EDIT: Hell, you would think your men would appreciate you finding better ground. (to keep more of them alive!)

Well dealing with whatever terrain the randomness gives you is part of the !!fun!! but, my only gripe in this mod is that we're supposed to be in Britain and the terrain always look like chinese mountains. Even with this good submod that reduced hilliness, i often get into crazy terrain that is totally unrealistic, especially for britain (which is quite flat overall).

Just letting you all know I won't be working on the mod anymore, at least for a while. My mother passed away suddenly on the 5th, and I've been busy with everything related to that and helping out my dad since then. Haven't really had the time or been in the mood for modding anything, and I'm not sure when I will.

So the submod will be on an indefinite hold until further notice. If anyone wants to use any of my changes, piecemeal or as a whole, to make their own mod of Brytenwalda - feel free to do so.

God bless, and I wish you all a merry Christmas.

How did you fix the supply wagon issue? I'd like to fix it but not necessarily download this submod.

My issue with the supply wagon is here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=259367.new#new

TheMageLord said:
Just letting you all know I won't be working on the mod anymore, at least for a while. My mother passed away suddenly on the 5th, and I've been busy with everything related to that and helping out my dad since then. Haven't really had the time or been in the mood for modding anything, and I'm not sure when I will.

So the submod will be on an indefinite hold until further notice. If anyone wants to use any of my changes, piecemeal or as a whole, to make their own mod of Brytenwalda - feel free to do so.

God bless, and I wish you all a merry Christmas.

very sorry to hear this...

Thanks all. Still pretty busy here, but I'm finding time to read forums again.  :wink:

zchmrkenhoff said:
How did you fix the supply wagon issue? I'd like to fix it but not necessarily download this submod.

My issue with the supply wagon is here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=259367.new#new

That was caused by a simple oversight with having two constants use the same number. You just have to change them to be different in module_constants.py and recompile the mod. They are spt_player_loot_wagon and dplmc_spt_gift_caravan. They are both set to 21 in Brytenwalda 1.40, I just added a zero to the loot wagon one making it 210.

TheMageLord said:
I never realized he did them. They're a lot different in comparison to his standard formation scripts, I thought someone else had reworked them heh.
No, that was me! I'm just seeing this, not having been around here much since we released the last version. It's nice having someone capable look over this stuff! Few people venture into that AI territory; it can get a little hairy.

If you don't mind, I'd like to incorporate the parts I like with the AI changes into what I did, credited as was Caba's material.
TheMageLord said:
They work great for moving archers around and flanking enemies, but are rather poor for big AI v AI infantry battles. The two boxes was just boring - they were spaced way out and didn't really do much fighting. But removing that limitation makes them move in lines, and the lines only work in certain circumstances.
The AI squares were meant to address the problems caused by the sheer geometry of large lines. When they rotated, the wings would lag horribly to the point of forming spirals.

The number 48 as a threshhold was not completely arbitrary. Trying to come up with a meaningful number, I did a bit of reading on close infantry formations. It turns out the long lines were a historical problem addressed various ways. I eventually went with the pre-reform Roman legions: three companies totaling 8 deep and about 50 wide, spaced 2m apart. I preserved the dimensions for three-line formations, hence 16x3. It DID seem small to me; but then that's why I made it a constant for modders to twiddle.

The original Roman formation was the phalanx, a formation that raises questions because it was often something of a square, as were shield walls. At the start of a clash, the majority were often not fighting, even as spears lengthened into sarissas/pikes to allow it. What was the point, then, to deep formations? I think it was to stuff as many men as possible into a given area in order to outlast the enemy. Anyhow, I was happy to keep three ranks, to generally allow all fighters to bear on a combat for speedy resolution, and, you're right, the squares undid this and moved it back to the perhaps the more historical case of attrition.

You're absolutely right that the best use of the squares would be to move to battle position, then take formation. I simply didn't take the time to write this in.

AI formation spacing is based on swung weapon length. I noticed that formations spaced widely enough for their swung weapons do measureably better. Check out our AI in vanilla WB custom battle: Rhodoks in such a widely spaced square pretty much destroy anything. Historically, the Romans adopted an even more open, alternating (star) formation for the same reason (also flexibility), even though armed with primarily stabbing weapons: short swords and spears. It wasn't meant to stop an enemy like a shieldwall--it was meant to allow limited numbers in for destruction (as well as a surprise element from the third, veteran company hidden in back).

The problem was that the AI (to date) lumps both swung weapons (those that can't be converted to stab-only as normal) and stab weapons together. I tried spacing for average swung weapon length, but eventually (given the power of those 2H axes in WB), settled on spacing for the longest. But let one axe into your spear formation, and they'll spread from shoulder-to-shoulder 47 cm (a historical value, BTW), to a meter-and-a-half! You'll see an exception in the code to exclude banners from causing that effect.

It'd be very nice to have separate AI "tracks" for stabbing and swinging infantry, making separate divisions. Caba's division typing (sdt_*) was a start in this direction, but we didn't take the time to finish exploiting it.

The distance between fighting formations was a bit of a bear, and I had trouble getting two AI squares close enough for a good fight, yet not meshing together. You've no doubt seen the extensive geometrical calculations in the code.
TheMageLord said:
Two evenly matched enemies it generally does good - the two big battle lines form and they clash. But when one side is made up of a smaller number of elite units (like, say, franks, or a player with a small tight formation) the formation just sticks in the big line even when the enemy is cutting a swath out of the center, and never encircles them. In that case the box would probably work a little better, but they'd still get wiped out by a charging enemy due to the distance between units.

I'll have to see if I can make things a bit better. Perhaps less initial spacing between units and a charge routine that kicks in once the fighting starts. Will have to try a few things and see how it works out.
You know, this occurred to me, but I didn't have the time to work it out.

Better and smaller units in fact form wedges to improve their chances. You're right in that the larger formation ought to try to whelm them.

I do have a whelm routine in the code. It tries to figure out whether it locally outnumbers the enemy 2:1, going into charge mode if so. It was actually meant for when one ranks formation contacts the end of another. There was some silliness as a formation would pop in and out as the numbers of enemy it was in contact with fluctuated around the threshhold, and I thought I had deleted it. Anyhow, the response you wrote for a ranks formation against a small, compact enemy is perfect!

Other stuff:

The lords stay out of combat to survive. In fact, they will also run off if the archers flee a lost fight. Reason: their troops will be out of formation next phase without them. Not to mention they're needed back at home to collect taxes, droit de seigneur, etc. They do look idiotic just sitting there commanding troops. It'd be nicer if they rode about a bit, threatening to lop the heads off deserters, etc.

I'd dearly love to see lords more developed. Keep some for reserve if there are more than one. I think Treebeard wrote a battlefield player assassination routine for them for PoP. At least we talked about it. That ought to discourage a player from going behind the enemy formation! Hence sdt_bodyguard.

TheMageLord said:
Well I went ahead and uploaded my changes. I tried various ways to get the infantry to fight better in formation, but simply ordering the infantry to hold fire and charge when the enemy is near (any enemy within 8 meters, enemy infantry or archer formation center within 15 meters) seems to be giving the best effect. They move across the field in formation, throwing weapons and such while approaching or facing off against each other, then swap to melee weapons and charge in.
Well, no secret from the formations forum, that was the big disappointment for me. Although historically there was a clear advantage to ordered, disciplined infantry, ordering and disciplining them in M&B decreases their success. I've run many, many custom battles, and don't see why, other than troops in formation still act as if they are dueling, since that's the only way of fighting in the game engine. Also, troops in charge mode seem to get an awful lot of hits in despite being pretty much on top of one another. One suggestion from the formations forum was to implement the effect of the shield wall, to dissipate a hit on the shield of a neighbor. But in general, short of just kludging it, I feel I've exhausted all other approaches: stab-only weapons, back ranks not defending, etc.

Thanks for all the time I know you've put into this, and condolences on your mother's passing.

My condolences.

If you resume work on this, you definitely should look into throwing. It's so easy to exploit the AI by taking their poor decision making regarding throwing into account.

For example consider a 1v1 tournament match. Imagine you and the AI each have 4 javelins and two handed axes, no shield. The AI will immediately start chucking at you, wasting all of his javelins before he's even in effective range. All you have to do is hang back and wait on him to unload, then walk into effective range to take him out. It scales up too. Consider a 8v8 tournament match. The first thing I'm going to do is hit F3 then F2 to have my team hold their fire. Then tell them to form a line near our spawn. The enemy team will waste all of the javelins, then charge in no formation at all into my team as we throw our javelins, which are thrown within the effective range. Consider a battlefield. You've attacked an Irish group of Diasabards (SP?). They take a defensive position on a hill. They will begin throwing their projectiles before you enter their effective range. You halt, wait, they run out, you advance, halt, loose your projectiles, then advance and wipe up the remains.

This problem is a constant in brytenwalda. It's not a matter of the effectiveness of the weapon, the skill of the npc, the problem is when the AI decides that it's time for them to throw. This is a big problem for this mod IMO. It is evident, by the amount of thrown weapons utilized by the npcs in this mod, that they are meant to be a HUGE part of combat. They are completely negated by this oversight. They are rendered useless for the AI.

Throwing from horse is another problem. Brytenwalda has horse archery disabled, as it is trying to gimp shooting from the saddle. Yet, throwing from horseback should still be effective. The purpose of cavalry in this period is highly disputed in certain aspects. The one thing the experts agree on is that cavalry was used to harass the enemy with projectiles. If they returned to their lines to wait on the end of battle and chase routers, to dismount and fight on foot, or other scenarios is debated. However, as stated, it is accepted as fact that they did use javelins or darts. We can assume they did so effectively. This is not the case in this mod. I don't know what the best solution is. I would assume that adding horse archery back and giving the relevant troops the relevant skill level would be a start. It would have to be up to the player to choose to play in a manner that reflects the period and location, and abstain from being an uber horse archer. I think this is a better solution than rendering an entire aspect of battle useless so that people aren't tempted to role play inappropriately.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the mod. I do so very much. The team has done an awesome job with the majority of it. This is just something that erks me every time I play it. I don't want to stop playing, I just want to fix it lol. I can't understand how this has gone uncorrected for so long.

If you are no longer interested in continuing your improvement project, I understand. I'll probably post a request thread for it here, and look into fixing it myself. I haven't done any modding in a few years, and I would have to compile it into your mod, and 74 companions mod, and figure out how to release it to the public.. ahh so much work hahaha. If you do decide to do it and need help with testing or anything let me know.

It's always great to get historically informed perspective!

If I had the time to do this, I would:

1. Replace the call to Native's suicidal handling of mordr_charge for AI cavalry with Caba'drin's skirmish routine. I assume he wrote it to work with more than player divisions.
2. Have AI cavalry take up thrown weapons first, like the infantry does.
3. Apply the hold fire command to AI until slot_team_d0_closest_enemy_dist drops below the desired threshold.
4. To use #3 in the arena, you'd have to attach at least the data collection function script_store_battlegroup_data to the mission template.
5. Historically, the light wooden shields of the period were pretty much rendered useless by a single javelin strike -- hence the importance of the missile exchange at the start of battles. So I'd use ti_on_agent_hit to destroy the shield if hit with an unwieldly thrown weapon, then put it all under the realism switch to mitigate the hue and cry that'd be sure to follow.

Eктωρ said:
I would LOVE a feature of javelins breaking shields.

Mm, but really a javelin can break a shield? I amnt sure about that.
Making a shield take time and hard work, shields are strong as they will take hits of axes, spears and swords. I dont think that javelin can hit stronger than sword or spear.

Well, it's what motomataru said. Thing is, a shield with a javelin stuck on it gets harder to wield, and common infantryman shields back then were rather basic and homemaded things that weren't exactly very strong as far as I know.

Eктωρ said:
Well, it's what motomataru said. Thing is, a shield with a javelin stuck on it gets harder to wield, and common infantryman shields back then were rather basic and homemaded things that weren't exactly very strong as far as I know.

Do you want your shield to break from 1 javelin too? Or only enemies?

Back
Top Bottom