• Uruks/uruk-hai

Votes: 209 11.6%
  • Elves

Votes: 409 22.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 190 10.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Ahh. OK. I have noticed the correct scores again since - I was not aware of night impacting fighting efficiency, but there you go ( evidently ). Amazing detail. Thanks.

Any information out there on mithril  ?

Is " Arathorn's Sword " ( Narsil, presumably ) no longer a special item with Imladris ( ie as of the latest update ) ?

Would you be interested in Improving the companion females' faces ( please, along with some more " appealing " female armour forms ...... a la PoP, Perisno etc ) in the next update ( and reinstating Narsil, somewhere ) ?

Why do I have this idea that there is mithril armour to find in Moria ? Is the Moria labyrinth worth exploring, really, otherwise ?

Yes, it's gone.
Yes, but this would be a lot of work, because the OSP female head is not very customizable and imo doesn't fit well. (no.) (no.)
There isn't. Yes.

I had to revert to a previous save 20-30 times during the last few days of my latest game, because of deserters.  I got called to follow the faction leader upon the outbreak of war, but THREE deserter parties are now roaming around the area where my faction leader ends up aimlessly patrolling for a couple of weeks.  The deserters of your own faction don't run from bigger armies in your faction, your faction's other armies won't join you against them, and they tend to consist of a significant number of high-level troops in far too many cases.  Worse, from what I've seen, once they've chased you, they'll eventually show up wherever you are, even if you're on the far end of the map from where they originate.  Basically, my 20 mostly 2nd tier troops are no match for 30+ top-tier troops, which in two of the three cases are significantly faster than my own group.  I can't run far enough (or fast enough) to reach somewhere I can rest for the night in safety without failing my mission to follow the war leader.  This is a most likely a "vanilla" problem, because in two original M&B campaigns I had a group of Swadian Knights that wouldn't quit following me, and it took a LOT of effort to finally get rid of them.

I've tried fighting the deserters, and in the one encounter my 19 men managed to take out ONE of them before being butchered to the last man, while I managed to personally take down 5 before being overwhelmed, 26:1 by the remainder, but that was the BEST I've managed against them.  The other two deserter parties were bigger.  I tried reloading from before joining my war leader near Pelargir, and lured two of those deserter parties from around Osgiliath to a rather distant part of the map (near the Dunlending camp), then rested for the night to let them wander off before racing to find my own faction's Marshal, but they both apparently followed me, showing up about a day later.  Dodging one is difficult, three is impossible.

Of course, once you've got 50 veteran troops behind you, it's not a problem, and the deserters run from you, but it's next to impossible at the start if/when they decide to chase you until you or they are destroyed.  Is there a way to tone down their troop types to something less than top-tier, or make them avoid armies of their previous faction (who SHOULD be quite willing to fight them)?  At this point, I'm about ready to restart the campaign completely, because this isn't the least bit fun.

So helping Rohan we had indeed been winning big battles against Isengard field armies, but Saruman was still holding out with an intimidating 600 - odd garrison in Isengard, let alone several 200 - plus Uruk Hai armies ( with their several camp bases also yet to be conquered ) back in the field, and not to mention the Dunlendings ....... it looked like we still had our work cut out for us !  Then ( c day 140 ) we beat his Guard Legion in the field and suddenly " Isengard crushed ", and in ruins !

This victory sure was an anticlimax; I was hoping to personally cut down Saruman ( why not, like any other M&B lord ? ) in an end -game siege of Isengard - Orthanc !

Is my seemingly premature " faction destroyed " experience somehow a bug, or can it be the intended / possible event " scripting " ?

Either way, can it be " fixed " / tweaked to play out in a more satisfying / interesting way ie Saruman's last stand, holed up in Isengard ?

Ningauble said:
So helping Rohan we had indeed been winning big battles against Isengard field armies, but Saruman was still holding out with an intimidating 600 - odd garrison in Isengard, let alone several 200 - plus Uruk Hai armies ( with their several camp bases also yet to be conquered ) back in the field, and not to mention the Dunlendings ....... it looked like we still had our work cut out for us !  Then ( c day 140 ) we beat his Guard Legion in the field and suddenly " Isengard crushed ", and in ruins !

This victory sure was an anticlimax; I was hoping to personally cut down Saruman ( why not, like any other M&B lord ? ) in an end -game siege of Isengard - Orthanc !

Is my seemingly premature " faction destroyed " experience somehow a bug, or can it be the intended / possible event " scripting " ?

Either way, can it be " fixed " / tweaked to play out in a more satisfying / interesting way ie Saruman's last stand, holed up in Isengard ?
I think it is this way since you can't really kill Saruman, he is hidding in the Orthanc now, an unpenetrable tower, and will be guarded by the Ents.

This mod is goes as much into lore as possible. Isengard is defeated when ents attacked it, you can trigger that event by destroying their war parties once their faction strenght hits low level. Saruman escapes to a shire after the pits of orthanc are flooded, and after ents end up guarding him. You come after those events, and you can see sunken orthanc.

Well, as I said, up to that moment it looked like Isengard still had a lot of fight left .........

And anyway, seeing that the player's game overhauls Lore from the start ( you can even play as the Dark Side and win ! ), it makes much more sense to deliver the coup de grace oneself ............. does this mean that, at the end, I also cannot actually face, and slay, Sauron ( a la The Second Age, was it not ? ) ?

So, a touch too abstract ?

Ningauble said:
Well, as I said, up to that moment it looked like Isengard still had a lot of fight left .........

And anyway, seeing that the player's game overhauls Lore from the start ( you can even play as the Dark Side and win ! ), it makes much more sense to deliver the coup de grace oneself ............. does this mean that, at the end, I also cannot actually face, and slay, Sauron ( a la The Second Age, was it not ? ) ?

So, a touch too abstract ?
Since Sauron has no physical form at that time, most probably not ^^

And Saruman would never go into open combat, he would hide in his tower. It doesn't matter here if the player overhauls the lore in the game or not.

The only way to defeat sauron is to destroy the only thing which binds him to this world, aka his ring. You can't fight the shadow. Frodo and Sam, on the other hand have a way to destroy it, which is his own ring. Once the faction strenght for Mordor goes low, you will see 3 or 4 mordor war parties, around 300, 400 men each with numerous nazguls somewhere close to the black gate. By dealing with them, you give those two little hobbits a chance to sneak by unnoticed. Consider it to be similar to the fight of morranon, except you might face them with your party alone, unlike in the books where it was rohan and gondor war hosts, or should i say "people of the middle earth but without elves and dwarves, basically men only".

OK. Thanks.

Do I have to trigger the Frodo and Sam mission as a Quest eg by talking to someone, or is it assumed to be carrying on in the background as I grind Mordor down on the battlefield, conquer their camps, etc ?

Knez said:
The only way to defeat sauron is to destroy the only thing which binds him to this world, aka his ring. You can't fight the shadow. Frodo and Sam, on the other hand have a way to destroy it, which is his own ring. Once the faction strenght for Mordor goes low, you will see 3 or 4 mordor war parties, around 300, 400 men each with numerous nazguls somewhere close to the black gate. By dealing with them, you give those two little hobbits a chance to sneak by unnoticed. Consider it to be similar to the fight of morranon, except you might face them with your party alone, unlike in the books where it was rohan and gondor war hosts, or should i say "people of the middle earth but without elves and dwarves, basically men only".
In my last "good" game, from what I recall, the Gates of Morannon were taken by assault without defeating all of the last aimlessly roving war parties, and Mordor was defeated immediately, since they had no fortresses left (not counting the Dark Tower itself), the first faction to be defeated, much to my surprise.  The roving war party of Isengard lasted a surprisingly long time, and Moria, the last surviving enemy faction aside from it, was just about to fall before Isengard suddenly vanished, presumably due to an Ent attack, but there was no in-game notification of that event.

Yeah, there is also a way to defeat Mordor by besieging all of their outposts, forgot about it. And no, it makes no notification regarding ents attacking Isengard,
i mean you can find them on Entmoot
  most likely forces of the good defeated those Isengard war parties on their own, one by one. Intersting thing for me is that when playing as a Gondor, fighting against Mordor must be directed on their allies first, Harad, Umbar and Khand, but in recent patches it had become quite easy to fight them head on. In previous versions i had day 400+ game when i played as a Gondor, and mordor faction strength was still quite high, but again so was ours. Pity that i never finished that game, could be most fulfilling victory i ever had, if it would be one due to Rohan slowly but steadily losing to Isengard.

Just had to say what an amazing job you've done with this mod ironing out bugs and improving quality of life stuff. Really the only WB mod I enjoy replaying many times. Just played with the latest nightly and I didn't experience a single crash or scrolling script errors that use to be prevalent in my early play throughs especially in battles. It was just an enjoyable experience all the way through with good conquering evil without losing a single town for any good faction. I love being able to ask the town 'mayor' where generals are for that faction.

Only one short script error I got was when I used influence to get two generals to follow me to eliminate the Isengard final army. Afterwards while roaming I got a script error about AI deciding whether to continue following me or not and invalid party id or something like that. Didn't pay much attention and I didn't need them anymore so I released them.

Very nice work once again!

I did another Harad campaign, which is progressing quite a bit differently than the last. There was only one Gondorian lord killed in battle early in the campaign this time, rather than two, but Harad managed to take Cair Andros fairly early. That allowed me to recruit troops from an additional source, to fight battles against both Gondor and Rohan near my own faction, and gain rank points and influence with Harad instead of with Mordor. Gondor was once again the first good faction to fall, although nowhere near as quickly as in the previous run, and Rohan followed soon after. This time, with a longer campaign and more rank points, I was able to recruit the Harad companion before the fall of the Galadrim or Imladris, rather than not until well into the final one-sided war between Mordor and Isengard. Dale and Erebor managed to take out Rhun, and Moria was barely hanging on by a thread for a while, until the combined evil forces destroyed the Beornings and burned the one Wood Elf village toward the middle of the map. Harad has just captured Dale intact, and Erebor and the Wood Elves are still reasonably strong and putting up a good fight, but the war is now pretty much confined to in and around Mirkwood.

Thanks to the capture of Pelagiad, Cair Andros, and now Dale, Harad is currently slightly stronger than Mordor. Between the original and advanced camps, plus the three captured cities, recruitment is not a problem, although it's been a real struggle to keep my significantly larger army fed in this campaign. The outcome is pretty much inevitable at this point, but it's been a much longer and better contested campaign, whereas the previous one kind-of fell apart for Gondor after the deaths of two lords only a couple of months into the war. Random events are still a huge factor, which is a good thing for replayability, but can essentially determine the outcome of a campaign. The game balance is a lot closer in the current version between good and evil, with good only having a marginal advantage, which is sufficient for a new player of the mod.

Next campaign: Umbar.

Back
Top Bottom